Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  177
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 241 to 250 of 250
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
    Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.
    That would be fantastic.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    braybrook boy living in wyndhamvale
    Posts
    1,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
    Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.
    Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's impressive but I'd rather try to escape one of those than come up against a cassowary with chick in the wild.

    Far North Queensland 1992 I saw one in the wild with a chick in the Daintree. The tour leader just said "Walk backwards Verrrrry slowly and don't take your eye off it. That thing kills more people than saltwater crocodiles"
    I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.
    Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.


    I love cassowarys.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.


    I love cassowarys.
    Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.
    Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.


    Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
  8. #247
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rosebud
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.


    Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!
    The council at Mission Beach is even called the Cassowary Coast Council. Very protected species.

  9. #248
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surf Coast
    Posts
    4,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.
    Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
    https://www.princess.com/ports-excur...ia-excursions/
    “In 2020, we will believe that we are closer than we may be, but we will prepare like we’re further away than ever.” - senior coach Luke Beveridge.

  10. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
  11. #249
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    braybrook boy living in wyndhamvale
    Posts
    1,428
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
    https://www.princess.com/ports-excur...ia-excursions/
    Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

  12. Likes KT31 liked this post
  13. #250
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Lombok, Indonesia
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

    Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time
    Hello Strebla. Getting to Komodo is pretty simple these days. Fly into Bali, get a free 30 day Visa on Arrival, take a flight to Labuhanbajo on the western top of Flores island and arrange your trip out to see the dragons from there. There are about 60 boats involved in ferrying tourists out to see the dragons with lots of different options - day trips, liveaboard overnighters, diving, snorkeling, trekking.
    Be aware that there are more dragons on Rinca island than on Komodo itself and the island with the most spectacular views is Padar.
    Also there is talk of the National Park fee being upped to $1000!!! Yes, that's right, $1000! At the moment it's $15. But this is still under discussion.
    Garuda flies daily to Labuhanbajo I think. PM me if you want updates about the NP situation. Best time to visit is dry season - say late May to late October. Day trips with snorkeling, a hike on Padar and Dragon spotting on Rinca are about $50 per person on a shared boat. Best to look over the boat yourself to see what you are going to get. The dive shops in Labuhanbajo have always got notices up looking for people to make up groups.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

  14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •