Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Now that the Ashes are safe in Australia, should we change up the openers? Do we rest Cummins?

    What changes for Thursday?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Now that the Ashes are safe in Australia, should we change up the openers? Do we rest Cummins?

    What changes for Thursday?
    No change. Give Cummins a chance to take 30+. Tell Harris, Warner & Wade that they need some runs. Go for 3-1 with another nearly 300 runs a test from Smith.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    I have day 2 tickets! Looking forward to a nice relaxing day at the cricket without the stress of the Ashes being on the line.

    Changes. I would be bold and possibly say to Warner, have a break. I think 4 left handers in the top 6 is too many. The problem is who to bring in. Given Bancroft is 26 years old, this could be the test to bring him back and pair him with Harris. Shame really that Burns wasn't in the squad, but I doubt anyone expected Warner to have the problems that he has had.

    Bowling side, realistically Cummins should have a break, but they wont. If they are desperate to play Pattison, then Starc will make way, whcih is a shame as the Oval is his pitch. Question whether Lyon plays given issues with his spinning finger

  4. Likes Twodogs, KT31 liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I have day 2 tickets! Looking forward to a nice relaxing day at the cricket without the stress of the Ashes being on the line.

    Changes. I would be bold and possibly say to Warner, have a break. I think 4 left handers in the top 6 is too many. The problem is who to bring in. Given Bancroft is 26 years old, this could be the test to bring him back and pair him with Harris. Shame really that Burns wasn't in the squad, but I doubt anyone expected Warner to have the problems that he has had.

    Bowling side, realistically Cummins should have a break, but they wont. If they are desperate to play Pattison, then Starc will make way, whcih is a shame as the Oval is his pitch. Question whether Lyon plays given issues with his spinning finger
    What about Bancroft and Ussi opening? Harris has not been impressive at all.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seddon
    Posts
    5,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Would be happy with either of Bancroft or Khawaja opening. As long as I don't have to see David Warner - I'm happy.

    Otherwise, I believe we had our best bowling line up in the 4th test. Like for it to stay the same.

    I think it is very important to WIN the ashes, and not just RETAIN. Cummins is essential - he can rest after the series is done.

  7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What about Bancroft and Ussi opening? Harris has not been impressive at all.
    That could work, though Ussi's form against Broad etc is not much better. I think that maybe the game is moving past Ussi and Warner and its time to look at other options at the top of the order. There is talk that Lambuchagne will open. I can't say I am convinced by this.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Some nice stats

    Years held ashes:
    Australia - 80.5 years
    England - 55.5 years


    World cup wins
    Australia - 5
    England - 1 fake win


    Ball tampering incidents
    England - 3
    Australia - 1
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  10. Likes hujsh, Remi Moses liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Rest Cummins, no need to keep him going

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    England have dropped Roy and Overton (bit harsh) and are playing Curran and Woakes (harshly dropped in the first place).

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Mitch Marsh brought in at the expense of Travis Head, to provide an extra bowling option.

  14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Mitch Marsh brought in at the expense of Travis Head, to provide an extra bowling option.
    England just had their chances boosted. Selectors pulling out their infatuation card with one of the Marshs and have that alrounder need .

    I would rate Pattinson Bowling and batting above Marsh. Cummins batting record is just as good .

    We donít have an Alrounder In The flintofff or Stokes grade . Stop trying to social engineer one
    Why isnít maxwell selected ?

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    So both teams have dropped a batsman (in England's case an alleged batsman) to have an extra bowler.

    This in a series where the bowlers have had the better overall.

    Surely both need better batting more than additional bowlers.

    The mitigation for that, is that with the compressed nature of the series, both bowling attacks have had plenty of work without much recuperation time.

    I guess they have decided that the extra bowler is likely to score as many runs as the discarded batsman anyway.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Test batting has never been at a lower ebb than this series. You'd think both batting line-ups were facing the Windies in their heyday.

    Honorable exception to Steve Smith of course and Marnus to a lesser extent.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,084
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Test batting has never been at a lower ebb than this series. You'd think both batting line-ups were facing the Windies in their heyday.

    Honorable exception to Steve Smith of course and Marnus to a lesser extent.
    The short form of the game has ruined batting at test level with exceptions of course - such as Smith, Kohli, Williamson etc - probably half a dozen more. It seems to be the case that batters these days no longer have the patience and technique to build an innings and bat through a tough period. The only way around it is to try and smash the living daylights out of the ball and score runs quickly.

  19. Likes Sedat liked this post
  20. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    5,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Oval - 12th to 17th September 2019

    Don't think this was a bowl first pitch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •