Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  57
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are we all annoyed with? The Giants, or...

By and large I don’t have an issue with how physical GWS were. You hope Matthew Lloyd’s grab about some of the vision burning into our pre season actually plays out, as being a bit meek in these circumstances is a recurring theme.

I am still ropable about the Greene incident and that they feel hard done by. Vision of a Giants player shielding Smith from pulling Greene off Bont while he furiously thrashed his head about genuinely makes me sick and absolutely should’ve seen him rubbed out.

Spent large parts of the final quarter googling lateral ligament damage recovery, sometimes you just have to write days off ..at least as a fan. The players on the other hand ...just hope we don’t turn out a 2019 Melbourne next year
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I still feel not great about this game a few days on. Disappointing but we need to move on now and I hope we will be better with the experience of a final for our younger players in particular.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago both Liberatore and Wallis worked their backsides off over a pre-season because they were sick of Lenny Hayes effectively bullying them in games. Our players should hopefully want to watch vision of the GWS antics and tactics and use it as a motivator for their training over the next 5 or 6 months
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Sedat, S Coast Simon, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I attended both the Giants home and away and finals games.

It's easy to say we creamed them in the home and away game, and we did. But they did fight back in the second quarter which to my eye showed their advantages over us that do not involve the rough stuff discussed here.

They are better kicks.

They spread better.

They are better in the air overall.

In the final, I was in a few rows from the fence in a pocket, scoreboard end. Again, all the advantages I have noted were very visible.

Last but not least, and off topic, for 2 quarters from my vantage point I saw our defenders under utter siege. Collectively I reckon they did pretty well under the circumstances.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

6. Likes azabob, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    2. GWS tactics went well beyond just aggressive, hard but fair play. It’s not brave but cowardly to pin a bloke to the ground and claw his face. It’s not brave to throw a gut punch outside of the field of play. The umpires ignored these tactics, the AFL effectively condoned them. I feel vastly different about this aspect of the game. It was disgraceful. It wasn’t why we lost. But it tarnishes their victory and the game as a whole.
    Disagree.

Well - I agree that the Greene incident was ott. The Himmelberg one...whatever - that happens pretty regularly and a half-arsed swinging arm that wouldn't put a hole in a wet paper bag isn't really a cause for much concern. Annoying I guess - and a free kick. But not much more than that.

The Giants were harder and more aggressive. They genuinely 'walked the line'...that's what good teams do. If the umpires are being forced to 'do their job', well, isn't that the level of aggression you WANT to be playing with?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Disagree.

Well - I agree that the Greene incident was ott. The Himmelberg one...whatever - that happens pretty regularly and a half-arsed swinging arm that wouldn't put a hole in a wet paper bag isn't really a cause for much concern. Annoying I guess - and a free kick. But not much more than that.

The Giants were harder and more aggressive. They genuinely 'walked the line'...that's what good teams do. If the umpires are being forced to 'do their job', well, isn't that the level of aggression you WANT to be playing with?
    To go further on the original question of why as fans we are upset, it is also about an AFL response to Greene’s behaviour that is at the very least inconsistent with other decisions they make. The penalty in no way matched the crime compared to others handed down, where shirtfronts and bumps are more outlawed. And I can’t, respectfully, agree that Greene was just OTT. I personally found it sickening, dangerous and violent and for all the talk of how we should retaliate, I would feel ashamed if our players did anything similar.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

For me, we were beaten at the selection table, we should of never played Hayse, West and Young in this game, to me they are way to green for finals footy, with no more than 10 games between them this season.

GWS outplayed us, but the umpiring was shit (Even my one-tooth Collingwood girlfriend said she felt sick watching the game) - And we went in with what seemed to be little to no plan, again, beaten in the coaching box.

I never expected us to make finals this year, but we did, and I am really proud of the guys for that much. I look forward to 2020 with renewed hope that we can break top 4 and really make a good run for the flag, if we stop losing to teams like Carlton, GCS and StK.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all angry at GWS. We allowed ourselves to be bullied even though we knew this was coming. It’s a good wake up call to some of the players and a reminder of how competitive this comp is. This sort of stuff happens and we can bounce back from it easily but we need to keep this lesson in our minds.

When Bont made a bit of a mockery of GWS last time he put a target on his back. We like to mock them as having no history or culture but if you put 40 odd guys living together away from home, playing footy together they will become pretty tight knit. They were never going to be anything less than ferocious in this game and we needed to be ready for it. Standing over their captain after Naughton took a big mark on him was another indication we should expect fireworks.

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    For me, we were beaten at the selection table, we should of never played Hayse, West and Young in this game, to me they are way to green for finals footy, with no more than 10 games between them this season.
    In fairness to Hayes, he had been performing in the weeks prior and nobody has demanded they own that second wing spot despite a few players being tried there.

Trengove for Young was the miss. I Like Lewis but he's a work in progress and Trengove has genuine mongrel, it's the exact thing we need in finals.

Rhylee handles the hard stuff ok. If anything, I'm more bullish on his future than I was a month ago. Very good hands and will jump at the ball as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In fairness to Hayes, he had been performing in the weeks prior and nobody has demanded they own that second wing spot despite a few players being tried there.
    So why didn't he play on the wing? It's very hard to track players on the TV, but about every time I saw him he was play up forward where he added absolutely no value... It was a waste of a spot with how he was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Trengove for Young was the miss. I Like Lewis but he's a work in progress and Trengove has genuine mongrel, it's the exact thing we need in finals.
    Lewis was fine as a defender given how often the ball came in, he is green, but besides being caught off guard when he marked a touched ball (which wasn't touched) he handled himself reasonably well... JT would've been extremely handy in the ruck where another big body scrapping on the ground would've been beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    we were nearly -100 for possession
    Come up with 10 reasons why this happened and fix half of them over the break.

Then we will have a great year in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Lewis was fine as a defender given how often the ball came in, he is green, but besides being caught off guard when he marked a touched ball (which wasn't touched) he handled himself reasonably well...
    Agree. In a tough game he proved he can play at this level.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most I agree we were soundly beaten in the game. In the first quarter our players looked slow and tired as if been training really hard. All good they beat us.

I can’t believe the NRL is leading the way with player welfare. Eye gauging 5 weeks suspension. Second offence 8 weeks. They are telling people this is not on and we don’t like the look of this for the kids. My 3.5 year old was asking why he was doing that to the Bont. This is the point the AFL are missing in their desperation to justify GWS’s existence.

This is is the sort of thing that toughens up entire teams. Every time they look Bont in the eyes they will realise they should have helped him. This is the time to make him the Captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Like most I agree we were soundly beaten in the game. In the first quarter our players looked slow and tired as if been training really hard. All good they beat us.

I can’t believe the NRL is leading the way with player welfare. Eye gauging 5 weeks suspension. Second offence 8 weeks. They are telling people this is not on and we don’t like the look of this for the kids. My 3.5 year old was asking why he was doing that to the Bont. This is the point the AFL are missing in their desperation to justify GWS’s existence.

This is is the sort of thing that toughens up entire teams. Every time they look Bont in the eyes they will realise they should have helped him. This is the time to make him the Captain.
    That is really tough when a kid asks that. The AFL has hit the lowest it possibly can as far as morals are concerned, with the treatment of this whole incident.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm annoyed that we apparently knew the Giants plans but could do nothing about them...

GWS Giants ‘leak’ match plan details

It’s emerged that the GWS Giants might have a leak.

Sure, they decimated the Western Bulldogs with a 16.17 (113) to 8.7 (55) rout in their elimination final but an hour before the game the Bulldogs camp knew of the Giants’ plans.

That bombshell was dropped by the Seven Network’s Mark Stevens as a guest on SEN radio on Wednesday morning as he told that the Dogs knew about tags on Lachie Hunter and Jason Johannisen and that GWS would look to rough up Marcus Bontempelli.

“At the ground little whispers came out that the Bulldogs knew exactly what GWS were going to do — that Lachie Hunter was going to be tagged, they knew Bont was going to be targeted and they knew that Johannisen was going to have a tag,” Stevens said.

“There was a leak from somewhere, it didn’t help but there was a leak, they knew it was coming and they couldn’t do anything about it — it was unusual that, that info came out.

“The info was correct, they knew the train was coming but it still hit them one million miles an hour.”

Stevens also accused the Bulldogs of not preparing properly for the likely and eventual onslaught from the physical Giants side and their lack of any enforcers in the team.

“The Giants went hard and the Bulldogs I don’t think stood up for themselves enough,” he said.

“If you look at the incident with Bont and (Toby) Greene the first two players on the scene were Rhiley West and Bailey Smith, they’re still almost in their school uniforms.

“They just didn’t have enough enforcers out there, Easton Wood was captain and not really involved in anything mean n — can you imagine if Luke Hodge was in Bulldogs colours what would have happened?

“Someone had to make a stand and I think it underlined that they really missed Tom Liberatore, who is an animal, they had too many puppy dogs.”

20. Likes 1eyedog, Dry Rot liked this post