Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Don Pyke sacked

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Don Pyke sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    The most interesting part of Pyke’s statement was this:

    “I would like to make one quick comment around AFL football. The landscape we now operate in as an industry is more challenging than ever for players, administrators, boards and coaches and this is leading to a wide range of issues around contentment. I hope that in the future we can find a better balance in how we view the game regardless of result - otherwise I fear for people’s genuine love of the game.“

    In an industry where 17/18 (94%) are losers at the end of each season, what can we do to find that better balance?
    Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.

  2. Likes Mofra liked this post
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    25,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Don Pyke sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.
    A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.


    We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.
    WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

  4. Likes Happy Days liked this post
  5. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Don Pyke sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.


    We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.

    The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off
    Start each day with a task completed. Find someone to help you through life. Respect everyone.
    Know that life is not fair and that you will fail often. But if take you take some risks, step up when the times are toughest, face down the bullies, lift up the downtrodden and never, ever give up if you do these things, then the next generation and the generations that follow will live in a world far better than the one we have today.
    And what started here will indeed have changed the world for the better.

  6. Likes bornadog liked this post
  7. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    41,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Don Pyke sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off
    Spot on GVGjr and if you don't have the passion, find a new job
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  8. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Don Pyke sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.
    They have let go more than just the coach (Brett Burton seemed to be a real problem according to Adelaide fans and some media commentators, including a rumours of a fall-out with Tex). It's definitely more than just Pyke who was the problem.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •