Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don Pyke sacked

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don Pyke sacked

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    The most interesting part of Pyke’s statement was this:

“I would like to make one quick comment around AFL football. The landscape we now operate in as an industry is more challenging than ever for players, administrators, boards and coaches and this is leading to a wide range of issues around contentment. I hope that in the future we can find a better balance in how we view the game regardless of result - otherwise I fear for people’s genuine love of the game.“

In an industry where 17/18 (94%) are losers at the end of each season, what can we do to find that better balance?
    Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Realism.....a dose of realism - Adelaide were at best a 11 to 7 team this year. That's not Don Pykes fault completely. Whether its the Board doesn't want to hear about rebuilds; whether its the fans don't want to go through rebuilds there will be more casualties and people who lose their love for the game at the highest level.
    A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.

We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A lot of people are keen to talk about footy in terms of being a business but forget that not many people get passionate about businesses.

We should be very careful what we wish for, It's a game pure and simple.

The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The successful people are passionate about their businesses. I suggest that if you want to be paid as an executive you had better exhibit a level of passion about the business you are in. If you lower expectations you will struggle to achieve success and investors (Members) will drop off
    Spot on GVGjr and if you don't have the passion, find a new job
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    They have let go more than just the coach (Brett Burton seemed to be a real problem according to Adelaide fans and some media commentators, including a rumours of a fall-out with Tex). It's definitely more than just Pyke who was the problem.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers