Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Willie Rioli - banned substance

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's only NFL that aren't part of the WADA drug testing isn't it? It's because they don't take any federal government money.

I think that MBL and NHL and the rest are still subject to drug rules.
    Major League Baseball are not with WADA - they have their own testing regime and their suspensions for positive tests are not as draconian as WADA's. First positive = 80 games (half a season). Second = 162 games (full season). Third = lifetime ban.

Funny that the 1st thing I thought when I heard about Rioli substituting a sports drink for urine was that he was having trouble producing a sample, and in frustration he just poured the drink into the sample cup. And that is what the Eagles are running with as his excuse.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Funnily my brother was talking about how he had a tester stay with him for nearly 30 minutes whilst my brother kept drinking water until he could produce something.

It's a very very poor excuse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If you believe that I’ve got a cup of warm apple juice to sell you.
    Can I show you this very attractive bridge that we have just listed.

If you don't mention it to anyone else then I might be able to sell it to you at a discount...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rioli has now registered another positive/problematic test. 6 days before his energy drink piss test, he tested positive for cannabis which ASADA count as a banned substance.

Robbo & the tin foil hat army have got to come up with another conspiracy theory before Rioli is well and truly wiped out by ASADA.

Read the official AFL statement below:

The AFL has confirmed that William Rioli of the West Coast Eagles has been notified of a further Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) and a potential violation of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (Code) in respect of a test conducted by ASADA on September 5, 2019.

The test was conducted following the West Coast Eagles’ elimination final against Essendon.

The September 5, 2019 sample has tested positive for a metabolite of cannabis, which is an In-Competition Prohibited Substance under the Code.

On September 11, 2019 Rioli was notified of an Adverse Analytical Finding for Urine Substitution being a Prohibited Method under the Code following an Out-of-Competition doping control test on 20 August 2019.

The West Coast Eagles have been made aware of this finding and will continue to provide support for Rioli.

It is important that Rioli be provided a fair process. As a result, the AFL will not be providing further detail on this case at this time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he ain’t playing for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

12 months for the pot, but it's 4 years for tampering with a urine sample.

He's 24 now, that's virtually career over. Shame that we lose a Rioli from the game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    12 months for the pot, but it's 4 years for tampering with a urine sample.

He's 24 now, that's virtually career over. Shame that we lose a Rioli from the game.
    Fortunately for him any penalty will be concurrent. Worst case scenario is still 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps an AFL career isn't for Willie?

Banned Eagles forward charged with drug possession

WEST Coast premiership forward Willie Rioli will face court in Darwin on Wednesday after allegedly being caught with cannabis in the Northern Territory.

It is understood Rioli was due to fly from Darwin to the Tiwi Islands on April 23 when he was allegedly stopped by a drug detection dog at Darwin Airport.

Northern Territory local court lists show Rioli will face court on Wednesday morning charged with possessing a schedule 2 dangerous drug in a quantity less than traffickable (less than 50 grams) in a public place.

Rioli had been planning to fly to Perth in late April before putting his return on hold due to the state's snap lockdown following an outbreak of COVID-19.

The 2018 premiership star is free to train with the Eagles from June 20 and play AFL from August 20 after receiving a backdated two-year ban earlier this year after tampering with a urine sample in 2019.

It is understood West Coast received confirmation of Rioli's impending court date on Tuesday morning, and club officials will meet to formulate a response.

Both the Eagles and the AFL have been contacted for comment.

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to feel anything but sorry for him when you have guys playing with literal sexual assault charges, but this “random” search and minor personal use charge will likely end his career.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes hujsh, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor bugger. Has to make better decisions, I mean, weed is everywhere and is on the cusp of legality (and is less dangerous to others than alcohol), but he has to be smarter than this.

14. Likes Happy Days, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Poor bugger. Has to make better decisions, I mean, weed is everywhere and is on the cusp of legality (and is less dangerous to others than alcohol), but he has to be smarter than this.
    Agreed on all points.

There's a story about a well known Melbourne (not Melbourne footy club, Melbourne the city) music industry figure who was stopped at Tullamarine airport a few years ago with 38 individually weighed grams of cannabis from the US in his luggage. Not only was he not charged but barely anyone knows about it. He's white (he was white, he's dead now) though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the headline on Reddit that he had a 'dangerous substance' which is the absolute least charitable way to say 'a bit of weed' imaginable.

17. Likes Ghost Dog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One gets the feeling Australia will be one of the last places pot is legalized. Like Gay marriage we are so far behind.
    Very sad to hear this.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

So, hypothetically, WCE cut him loose due to trust issues and having Liam Ryan already playing his role, would anyone here have an interest in us picking up Willie Rioli?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    So, hypothetically, WCE cut him loose due to trust issues and having Liam Ryan already playing his role, would anyone here have an interest in us picking up Willie Rioli?
    Yes please, he would be a small forward we are looking for. Need Travis to take him under his wing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.