Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Willie Rioli - banned substance

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Rioli is guilty, he should cop the full force of the law. No sympathy
    Absolutely. No time for cheats.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They've just been talking about a couple of scenario's on SEN

The main point is that the inspector would not have cautioned the player about providing a compromised sample rather it's his/her job to just report that the sample has been compromised. The responsibility is on the player to provide the sample and to make sure it's labelled correctly. If the player pours the contents of a sports drink into the cup then that's his decision.

Clearly they (SEN) feel that Rioli panicked and the scenarios they went through indicated this would likely occur when a player had taken something they shouldn't have 3 days or so prior to the test being sprung on them.
    They also talked about players that potentially might have been on one or two strikes

While I'm hopeful justice will prevail here the whole 3 strikes policy the AFL has in place is far too lenient. I doubt many players learn to much from the first strike but some might get serious once they have recorded a second

Rioli's message on facebook is apologetic but also indicates that he's been through tougher times including bullying, depression and life support.

He's flown to the Tiwi islands and thankfully someone from West Coast is with him as support.

It will be interesting to hear how this plays out
    What type of penalty system backed by scientific evidence and expert and academic advice would you recommend G?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My understanding is that ASADA do that testing too, within the scope of the policy. With Crossly (GCS) this year getting done for cocaine in his system after a NEAFL game (4 year ban he's facing) maybe a general fear of whatever was exactly in his system created a panic and now he's at where he's at. How many drunk drivers have you charged for refusing a breath test who may have been thinking refusing the test would be a better option (assuming it's still 24 months loss of licence) when if they just did the test in 99% of cases would've been much better off. That nagging guilty mind can make humans make poor choices, like in Willie's case apparently.
    It still is and it still astounds me the number of 'refuses' I get.

This is one of those times where you've got to sit back and think "How the *!*!*!*! did he think he'd get away with it?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It still is and it still astounds me the number of 'refuses' I get.

This is one of those times where you've got to sit back and think "How the *!*!*!*! did he think he'd get away with it?"
    Do you still blow or is it just count to ten nowadays as I haven’t been caught for years. Oops Umm I mean pulled up.
    Only one I get is the mouth swab and count to ten one in the workplace.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Vic does not have the 'Count to ten' instruments that NSW have, and even they are followed up with a blow into the straw if there is an indication.

For a refuse, when the driver refuses the test an explanation of the potential consequences is given, at which time the demand for the test is restated. If the driver refuses again, offence complete.

That applies at any stage of the process. There is an offence for:

Refusing a preliminary breath test
    Refusing to accompany for an evidentiary breath test
    Refuse to remain for a breath test
    Refuse evidentiary breath test.

All carry an automatic 2 year loss of licence.

6. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What type of penalty system backed by scientific evidence and expert and academic advice would you recommend G?
    I really don't know but I don't think showing the leniency of having the 3 strikes is minimising players taking things they shouldn't be. Certainly the education path that the clubs and AFL have in place isn't working to the level they would have hoped for.
    If that is the case then it's pointless dragging it out. The fact that clubs that are the employer of the player are kept in the dark doesn't help either

Back to Rioli, I hope we hear why he thought he needed to tamper with sample.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The beauty of the 3 strike policy for the AFEL is that it completely hides everything.
    As everything is secret, nothing can be investigated, no claims can be verified. It's perfect for the AFEL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    The beauty of the 3 strike policy for the AFEL is that it completely hides everything.
    As everything is secret, nothing can be investigated, no claims can be verified. It's perfect for the AFEL.
    Transparency and consistency of how they apply their rules in regards to the 3 strike policy isn't a strong point

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm okay, but what about the farcical nature of young people being vilified for taking non-performance enhancing drugs that are totally removed from their footballing lives?

Sure it can be indicative of far more severe issues (i.e: Travis Tuck), but for the most part illicit drug use is better dealt with through better drug education and in many cases approaches leaning towards harm minimisation. I actually believe that keeping initial strikes in-house yet punitive is a more considerate approach to the well-being of players than demanding everything be publicised.

Then again, baying for blood over players taking non-PED drugs has always been pretty ridiculous and unrealistic to me so I guess your mileage may vary with my opinion.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Transparency and consistency of how they apply their rules in regards to LITERALLY ANYTHING isn't a strong point
    Fixed!
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hmm okay, but what about the farcical nature of young people being vilified for taking non-performance enhancing drugs that are totally removed from their footballing lives?

Sure it can be indicative of far more severe issues (i.e: Travis Tuck), but for the most part illicit drug use is better dealt with through better drug education and in many cases approaches leaning towards harm minimisation. I actually believe that keeping initial strikes in-house yet punitive is a more considerate approach to the well-being of players than demanding everything be publicised.

Then again, baying for blood over players taking non-PED drugs has always been pretty ridiculous and unrealistic to me so I guess your mileage may vary with my opinion.
    It's such a big deal because of the secrecy around it.

All the US sports are open with the information and there is no vilification of players

Post Thanks / Like

All the US sports are open with the information and there is no vilification of players
    It's only NFL that aren't part of the WADA drug testing isn't it? It's because they don't take any federal government money.

I think that MBL and NHL and the rest are still subject to drug rules.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

That's not right. OJ Mayo and Tyreke Evans have effectively been banned for life from the NBA for substance abuse, and players get the hammer thrown down on them in the NFL for positive tests for marijuana (which is widely used to help deal with the brutal nature of the game rather than "performance enhancement" or whatever).

The attitudes in US sports towards illicit drugs are incredibly disciplinarian and can't be said to meet any of the intended aims of any right-minded drug testing policy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Rioli tampered with the sample out of frustration he couldn't provide the sample because he was dehydrated.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Rioli tampered with the sample out of frustration he couldn't provide the sample because he was dehydrated.
    If you believe that I’ve got a cup of warm apple juice to sell you.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes chef liked this post