Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Willie Rioli - banned substance

A video released on Willi giving his sample:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Twodogs, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So many questions.

One which has already been asked is how has he been allowed to play two games since if he was busted on the day?

One other question for anyone with clues - in individual sport, if you test positive (or breach) you hand back results - in this instance (and others previously in all team sports) why do the results still stand if you had a player in breach?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    So many questions.

One which has already been asked is how has he been allowed to play two games since if he was busted on the day?

One other question for anyone with clues - in individual sport, if you test positive (or breach) you hand back results - in this instance (and others previously in all team sports) why do the results still stand if you had a player in breach?
    Not that Rioli out would've made a speck of difference but shout out to Bombre fans suggesting THEY should now be playing Geelong tonight instead of the OTHER bunch of substance cheats.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So many questions.

‘Cos the asada official still has to submit the sample as it was given to him - the ‘a’ sample specifically - and the ‘b’ sample is set aside. So whatever happens, he needs to submit the sample for testing and the testing takes a few weeks. And until the afl found out - apparently Wednesday- what could they do? The same applies to west coast who also seem to have been caught unawares...clearly rioli didn’t tell them!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Not that Rioli out would've made a speck of difference but shout out to Bombre fans suggesting THEY should now be playing Geelong tonight instead of the OTHER bunch of substance cheats.
    (BT voice) woahhh boy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ‘Cos the asada official still has to submit the sample as it was given to him - the ‘a’ sample specifically - and the ‘b’ sample is set aside. So whatever happens, he needs to submit the sample for testing and the testing takes a few weeks. And until the afl found out - apparently Wednesday- what could they do? The same applies to west coast who also seem to have been caught unawares...clearly rioli didn’t tell them!
    Thank you - I just read the Richard Ings clarification on this which echoes the above.

I just don't get the process with this - imagine the scene....Willie pours something into the cup, tester sees him, they exchange awkward eye contact, then tester grabs the cup and says 'right Willie, thanks for your time, I'll be on my way'

All the while, Willie thinks 'surely that guy saw me.....mustn't have....sweet!'

Then he plays 2 games while in breach of the code - which clearly only brings his participation into question and not any potential result....which aside from laughing at Essendon fans in this scenario, I kinda see their point!

What a mess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - I just read the Richard Ings clarification on this which echoes the above.

I just don't get the process with this - imagine the scene....Willie pours something into the cup, tester sees him, they exchange awkward eye contact, then tester grabs the cup and says 'right Willie, thanks for your time, I'll be on my way'

All the while, Willie thinks 'surely that guy saw me.....mustn't have....sweet!'

Then he plays 2 games while in breach of the code - which clearly only brings his participation into question and not any potential result....which aside from laughing at Essendon fans in this scenario, I kinda see their point!

What a mess
    Asada mustn't have a policy for that level of stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah I do. I may not be getting my point across very well but I mean what I mean. Remember I am looking at it from a squarehead's point of view.

The substitution makes no sense whatsoever. Although panic (in the streets of London...) causes people to make poor choices. Maybe Willie was only half paying attention in the meeting they discussed this in and was thinking "Shit, shit, shit, WTF did they say? ohhhh why didn't I pay attention"
    What the hell happened to our posts?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny to see Slobbo claiming it is impossible and must have been an ASADA/WADA stuff up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Funny to see Slobbo claiming it is impossible and must have been an ASADA/WADA stuff up
    He's going on what players think - you have to pull your pants down to the knees and your top up to the armpit to avoid a fake penis/bladder beign used.

Hard to imagine how Willie either did it or thought he'd get away with it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Urinal substitution ?? Tampling with samples....Possible 4 year ban.
    Unless you are a Chinese swimmer of course. Willie you are an idiot.... you should have used a hammer.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Unless you are a Chinese swimmer of course. Willie you are an idiot.... you should have used a hammer.
    That only works if the tester doesn't bring their ID

Post Thanks / Like

If Rioli is guilty, he should cop the full force of the law. No sympathy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Careful - I'm sure the Chinese are monitoring this site and could shut us down. All hail the PRC!

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They've just been talking about a couple of scenario's on SEN

The main point is that the inspector would not have cautioned the player about providing a compromised sample rather it's his/her job to just report that the sample has been compromised. The responsibility is on the player to provide the sample and to make sure it's labelled correctly. If the player pours the contents of a sports drink into the cup then that's his decision.

Clearly they (SEN) feel that Rioli panicked and the scenarios they went through indicated this would likely occur when a player had taken something they shouldn't have 3 days or so prior to the test being sprung on them.
    They also talked about players that potentially might have been on one or two strikes

While I'm hopeful justice will prevail here the whole 3 strikes policy the AFL has in place is far too lenient. I doubt many players learn to much from the first strike but some might get serious once they have recorded a second

Rioli's message on facebook is apologetic but also indicates that he's been through tougher times including bullying, depression and life support.

He's flown to the Tiwi islands and thankfully someone from West Coast is with him as support.

It will be interesting to hear how this plays out
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"