Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 'Junior Footy' to 'Senior Footy' Disconnect.

I coached U9 basketball when I was a kid and kept it pretty simple - outside of training stuff, only really taught them a zone defence.

Towards the end of my 2nd (and last) season coaching I tried to teach them about going hard to basket - training this was two birds, asking guys to learn how to take a charge while seeing how easy it is for those with the ball to get to the ring or draw a blocking foul.

That was the beginning of the end - parents complained and I made my exit at the end of that season.

Fast forward 20 years to watching my 5YO at Auskick (the REAL cause of on ball congestion) and you can just tell kids (maybe mainly boys) gravitate to a wrestle. It looks like they have fun getting physical, but it’s frowned upon. My son laid a perfect tackle on someone a few months back and I had to act horrified (was VERY proud - and the other kid was fine) but I’d hate for him to inadvertently hurt someone.

Not sure I’ve added much...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Fast forward 20 years to watching my 5YO at Auskick (the REAL cause of on ball congestion) and you can just tell kids (maybe mainly boys) gravitate to a wrestle. It looks like they have fun getting physical, but it’s frowned upon. My son laid a perfect tackle on someone a few months back and I had to act horrified (was VERY proud - and the other kid was fine) but I’d hate for him to inadvertently hurt someone.

I think you've added heaps. Your comments about the tackle laid by your son are a key element of what I am talking about. Tackling is inside the rules. He laid a tackle. The other kid was NOT hurt. So celebrate it. Because we are so quick to criticise physical actions we are unable to cope with them as the age groups go up and the testosterone starts to flow...

The comments I have read elsewhere in the post about parents screaming at umpires...honestly, it is out of control. I do the 1st aid for my 12 yo and am usually the runner for my 17 year old...my comments during the game to the coaches (playing an 'official' role means I am generally 'inside' the marked security line where the coaches stand!) are usually:

- No, that's not a high tackle.
    - Yep, that was definitely holding the ball. And now that IS 50m.
    - It might have been in the back but it was 50-50, little Johnny has GOT to be stronger there.
    - He has got it...well, he had it until he dropped it after being tackled - that's not a free kick.

Sure, the umpires are terrible...but so are the players. But the umpires don't complain about the poor play ("Yes, I should have waited for him to mark it before blowing my whistle but who could have suspected he would drop a simple chest mark standing 20m in the clear") the players visibly complain on-field about 'poor' decisions...echoing the shreaking (is that a word) from the sideline.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

The other issue is the abuse of umpires by parents. It is becoming harder and harder to attract young umpires due to the abuse they receive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It staggers me to hear umpires being called cheats at local and junior footy level.

The clubs should be doing more to discourage the sort of behaviour that MJP quite rightly raised but I dare say the stark reality for many junior clubs clubs that they can't afford to lose players, meaning they turn a blind eye.

Parents need to remember that it ain't about them and their parenting. It's about their kid and their enjoyment of the game.
    Bingo bango, the golden rule of parenting/caring for someone. IT"S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I coached U9 basketball when I was a kid and kept it pretty simple - outside of training stuff, only really taught them a zone defence.

Towards the end of my 2nd (and last) season coaching I tried to teach them about going hard to basket - training this was two birds, asking guys to learn how to take a charge while seeing how easy it is for those with the ball to get to the ring or draw a blocking foul.

That was the beginning of the end - parents complained and I made my exit at the end of that season.

Years ago I was sitting in a Mothers' group with my son who had just started toddling, he would have been 3 or 4. Anyway he reached into the toybox at the exact same time that his little mate did and they both wanted the same toy. My son took one look at the other kid and planted one right on his chin and the kid went down like a sack of youknowwhat. I kind of punched the air but apologized to the other kid's dad but he wasn't having any of it. He came over and said "Dun worry about it mate. Nobody else is going to let him just take whatever he wants0 Anyway they are boys and that's how boys sort their problems out."
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think that sadly some of it is a reflection of the reduction in civility in society as a whole.

Ask anyone who works in customer service, my lord. People that abuse 17 year old checkout staff because there aren't enough registers open. Because the kids on the front end are responsible for making those decisions, right? And god, there is no way in the world I would be a teacher in this day and age.

It's almost like everyone is in a battle of one upmanship - I'm more rushed, more stressed than you, my time is more precious, I'm smarter than you are, therefore you can cop all my abuse for what's really about my deep seated insecurities. I spoke to my old tennis coach quite a few years ago, and he said that parents had turned up the heat exponentially since I'd left juniors. Everything has just turned into another ruthless business transaction and everyone is an expert.

As to how you turn it around, I don't know. It's not a massive faceless force that is being horrible to everyone in their path, it's every day people. People like you and I (hopefully not any Woofers!). Do we start calling it out? Education programs? Banning parents?
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

7. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need these signs at every junior game:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And add to the sign - Parents, please don't project your own insecurities and failings on your kids.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And add to the sign - Parents, please don't project your own insecurities and failings on your kids.
    No living vicariously through your kids!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite