Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worst coaching tactics I’ve ever seen this year

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Like Melbourne after last year?

The top 4 teams never repeat. Are Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast going anywhere? I know what you are saying, but the Lions got there first injury in months when Robinson went down...if they copped an injury to Martin the way Richmond had to make do without Nankervis, who knows what happens? Or Cameron is out for an extended time...or Neale...

2019 zero injuries and an easy schedule. 2020 is up in the air...all we know is that they will have a LOT harder schedule of games.
    Yes exactly almost word for word what was said between some semi intelligent (just barely) friends and I post last night's game. The weighted draw is making home and away and finals more distinct periods than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Which is a valid question.
    While it was a perplexing decision it's hardly the worst ever. Some will agree or disagree with having Bont in the ruck but it's hardly the worst decision.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While it was a perplexing decision it's hardly the worst ever. Some will agree or disagree with having Bont in the ruck but it's hardly the worst decision.
    It's no Rohan Smith on Robran.

4. Likes craigsahibee, KT31, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I knew someone would go there
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Grantysghost, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Melbourne after last year?

The top 4 teams never repeat. Are Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast going anywhere? I know what you are saying, but the Lions got there first injury in months when Robinson went down...if they copped an injury to Martin the way Richmond had to make do without Nankervis, who knows what happens? Or Cameron is out for an extended time...or Neale...

2019 zero injuries and an easy schedule. 2020 is up in the air...all we know is that they will have a LOT harder schedule of games.
    This is what I was explaining to a Melbourne supporter friend at the end of last year. I said it was going to be really hard this year due to the draw, and the fact it's not easy being really good two years in a row as getting preparation right and list health play a massive part, and teams prepare for you much more thoroughly.

She wouldn't have it, and found out the hard way this year.

These are strange remarks from Cornes. Yes we should have gone in with Trengove, but didn't, and on the day the use of Bontempelli disrupted the midfield and helped keep us close to the Giants.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The worse decision came about prior to the season opening when the decision to unload both Roughead and Campbell leaving only the one inexperienced ruck man in Tim English to handle the ruck duties. Trengrove was originally recruited as a key defender but by necessity became a relief fill in ruck man as we didn’t have any one else. To then be forced to ruck Bont Macrae and Dunkley in the ruck without Trengrove being selected was hard to believe.

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good topic - never like seeing our premium mids in ruck contests, but against Mumford - The most physical tap ruckman in the league? It didn’t work and again we persisted.

Still don’t know which I dislike more - elite mid rucking or Kane cornes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Good topic - never like seeing our premium mids in ruck contests, but against Mumford - The most physical tap ruckman in the league? It didn’t work and again we persisted.
    I actually like that he did something with him.

He couldn't get a kick in the mids.
    The ball never went up to the forward line so no point chucking him up there (plus already tried it in q1).

CHB might have been an option for Bont with Le Young taking an extended turn in the ruck with English to CHF and Schache deep???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The worse decision came about prior to the season opening when the decision to unload both Roughead and Campbell leaving only the one inexperienced ruck man in Tim English to handle the ruck duties. Trengrove was originally recruited as a key defender but by necessity became a relief fill in ruck man as we didn’t have any one else. To then be forced to ruck Bont Macrae and Dunkley in the ruck without Trengrove being selected was hard to believe.
    I'm not sure it was the worst decision.

At the end of last year Trengove played about 8 games consecutively in the ruck to a decent standard, and we were confident English would be right to go for most of the season. So there are your first two rucks sorted. We had Sweet in reserve who whilst raw was probably physically ready. We were hoping Boyd would be able to come back by the mid point of the season as well.

So effectively we had 2 good rucks and one gap filler for the first half of the season (say 11 rounds), and then another one enter the picture from there on. Had we found this number insufficient we had an opportunity to grab one mid year in the mid season draft, which surely was our backup plan. Also I'd question how often clubs lose 2 rucks to injury at the same time anyway. We have always had one of our two main rucks available for years, Adelaide used 2 rucks total this season, GWS with all their injuries would have gone max one game without either Simpson or Mumford, Collingwood would've fielded Grundy every game this year etc.

Roughead had been poor pretty much since 2016, and we refused to play Campbell anyway, much like we refuse to play Roberts now, so might as well stop paying them.

Besides, considering our aversion to playing pure rucks surely it was best not to have 3 running around at Footscray level.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The ball never went up to the forward line so no point chucking him up there (plus already tried it in q1).

CHB might have been an option for Bont with Le Young taking an extended turn in the ruck with English to CHF and Schache deep???
    I think we should look at Bont playing in defence a little more... especially given his inability to put the ball between the big sticks. What was it 15 goals this year from over 50 shots on goal? Not the return of someone who is just about our best field kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think we should look at Bont playing in defence a little more... especially given his inability to put the ball between the big sticks. What was it 15 goals this year from over 50 shots on goal? Not the return of someone who is just about our best field kick.
    Its certainly crossed my mind before, that Bont may finish his career as a half back.

Right now - he should just be in the middle all the time. Give us as many opportunities as possible to have the ball in his hands.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With respect this all sounds like deckchairs on the Titanic type stuff but as you've said the going was sufficiently dire that Bevo had to try something.

I suppose sending your Rolls Royce head to head against a nasty shit truck like Mumford specifically is what really unsettles the nerves rather than sending Bont in against almost any other ruck opponent.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Ohh that one hurts

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    With respect this all sounds like deckchairs on the Titanic type stuff but as you've said the going was sufficiently dire that Bevo had to try something.
    I totally agree with the deck-chairs comment and Bevo knows his players better than I do.

The challenge (as you know) is understanding when you need to 'hold the course' versus when you need to take a new tac. I just thought we were SCREAMING out for something different in the GWS game. We weren't getting the ball, we weren't getting any run from half back, we weren't doing ANYTHING really...I just thought changes HAD to be made.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the deck-chairs comment and Bevo knows his players better than I do.

The challenge (as you know) is understanding when you need to 'hold the course' versus when you need to take a new tac. I just thought we were SCREAMING out for something different in the GWS game. We weren't getting the ball, we weren't getting any run from half back, we weren't doing ANYTHING really...I just thought changes HAD to be made.
    Some thought into how to qwell the influence of the Giants prime movers either pre-game or during the game would've been handy too.

Lachie Whitfield had 30 touches and 698m gained against us, against the Lions he had 13 touches and 148m gained... it was soo obvious that someone needed to run with him, but we must be above utilising players in defensive roles.

It was an arrogant coaching performance and the result was there for all to see.

22. Likes azabob liked this post