Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst coaching tactics I’ve ever seen this year

An article on SEN from Kane Cornes about Bevo's use of Bontempelli in the ruck against GWS

Worst coaching tactics I’ve ever seen this year

Kane Cornes has labelled Luke Beveridge’s decision to move his star midfielder Marcus Bontempelli into the ruck as one of the worst coaching tactics he’s seen this year.

The Bulldogs were behind in their elimination final clash against GWS in the second quarter when Beveridge sent Bontempelli into the ruck to clash with Shane Mumford.

Cornes was concerned about the toll it would’ve taken on Bontempelli’s body, but was more so confused by Beveridge’s decision to put him there in the first place.

I think it was just one of the worst coaching tactics I’ve ever seen this year,” Cornes told Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show.

“He (Bontempelli) was beaten by (Matt) de Boer early so Luke Beveridge’s tactic was to put Bontempelli into the ruck. I haven’t seen anything like this.

“He’s your best player, he’s your number one asset, and you’ve got him going up against a 110 kilogram beast that is Shane Mumford.

“We’ve all been in a wrestle, we know how much that takes out of you. That’s what he (Beveridge) was asking Bontempelli to do.

“Then it was (Jackson) Macrae, then it was (Josh) Dunkley. If you’re not confident in your second ruck, how about you play (Jackson) Trengove who’s sitting in the VFL.

“It was one of the worst coaching decisions and tactics I’ve ever seen this year.”
    The Bulldogs were knocked out of the finals race by the Giants to the tune of 58 points at GIANTS Stadium yesterday.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worst coaching tactics I’ve ever seen this year

While I've never been a fan of using Bontempelli in the ruck I'm not sure it's the worst coaching decision ever made
    It does strengthen the need for us to acquire some more support for Tim English though

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worse coaching decision was leaving Trengove out, just like the Carlton game earlier in the year.

We needed another big body, we knew Mumford was going to try and rough up our players. Trengove makes our other players walk that little bit taller.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Cane but those comments prove that he doesn't watch many of our games. It's not even close to the first time we have done that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we start to get on top at that stage?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo getting funky with the ruck?

Welcome to 2015 Kano.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo has done that before. I think it was an alternative to Bont being tagged out of the game, as opposed to moving forward. Cornes is just a headline chasing media nuffy. He dribbles so much "hard-hitting" nonsense that when he says something credible it loses all significance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The worse coaching decision was leaving Trengove out, just like the Carlton game earlier in the year.

We needed another big body, we knew Mumford was going to try and rough up our players. Trengove makes our other players walk that little bit taller.
    Agreed. Tim forward and JT in the ruck should have been the move that was made.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    Bevo has done that before. I think it was an alternative to Bont being tagged out of the game, as opposed to moving forward. Cornes is just a headline chasing media nuffy. He dribbles so much "hard-hitting" nonsense that when he says something credible it loses all significance.
    why don’t you like at two things Cornes : the inconsistent umpiring and Mummford filthy holding and bludgeoning techniques ?

Martin smashed him last night because of his strength , skill and able to hold his own . The umpires were red hot on Mummy , and he gave away at least 3 frees in the third quarter

Absolute nonsense from Cornes

Brisbane are going to be a scary team next to years after this years finals experience .
    Last edited by macca; 15-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

Brisbane are going to be a scary team next to years after this years finals experience .
    Like Melbourne after last year?

The top 4 teams never repeat. Are Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast going anywhere? I know what you are saying, but the Lions got there first injury in months when Robinson went down...if they copped an injury to Martin the way Richmond had to make do without Nankervis, who knows what happens? Or Cameron is out for an extended time...or Neale...

2019 zero injuries and an easy schedule. 2020 is up in the air...all we know is that they will have a LOT harder schedule of games.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kane, now I'm questioning my existence! I need a good hard look at myself

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After this and his defending Toby Greene's actions, it appears we are witnessing the career of Kane Cornes collapsing before our very eyes. Either that or he is auditioning to replace Purple at AFL media.
    Footscray member since 1980.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely Kane knows it was Bevo trying to get Bont away from the tag at stoppages? Thought that was pretty obvious...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Surely Kane knows it was Bevo trying to get Bont away from the tag at stoppages? Thought that was pretty obvious...
    I think he got it but his focus was more on why pit your best player against an angry 110kg ruck man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he got it but his focus was more on why pit your best player against an angry 110kg ruck man
    Which is a valid question.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic