Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  76
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Bruce 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Bruce 2019

Cannot believe we will probably get him for a pick in the late 20s.

A contested marking, not past it, 2 goal a game key forward with no off field issues for a pick that is maybe a 30% chance of finding an AFL level player. Draft picks are insanely overrated.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

From the AFL Trade Talk
    KEY SAINT TOLD TO LOOK ELSEWHERE
    St Kilda champion Nick Dal Santo says key forward Josh Bruce was told in an exit meeting that he would not be offered a contract extension despite kicking 36 goals this year. The 27-year-old has significant interest from the Western Bulldogs and Dal Santo believes a four-year offer has been tabled by the Bulldogs for the tall forward. Bruce has one year left on his contract at St Kilda, but the club is happy to move him on in order to try and bring in Bradley Hill, Zak Jones, and Paddy Ryder.
    So they pushed him out with a year on his contract. Pick 31 would get it done?
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    From the AFL Trade Talk

So they pushed him out with a year on his contract. Pick 31 would get it done?
    Yesterday I would've said no. But with this coming out, it's a chance of Pick 31. Or even Pick 31 an upgrade of their 55 into our 49.

Got to send a fruit basket to Dal Santo.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Why are they pushing Bruce out?
    I’m not buying the Max King development angle.
    This will be the second club he’s moved on from.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    They simply don't have enough picks to pull off their desired trades this year, and need to keep picks next year for an attempt at Ben King. Bruce gets them a good (maybe not as good now) second round pick, which they think they can cover.

Ameet Bains identified him and traded for him from GWS, and has been involved in now getting him from St Kilda. He's passed the Bevo & Power interview. He's a solid person and good player.

St Kilda list management seems the problem for St Kilda.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they pushing him out, or does he want to leave because they're a terrible club with a terrible culture, and they're just saying they're pushing him out because they don't want anyone considering crossing over to realise they're a terrible club with a terrible culture?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He moved away from GWS for more game time. Played only 14 games in 2 seasons with them.

With the Saints, maybe he was trying to secure a longterm contract after a great season and only one year to go on his current contract (That is the sweet spot to negotiate) but they didn't want to offer that to him and we were willing?!

If he suits our needs, past history with moving clubs may not count as much.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There could very well be something to this but I do think clubs are happy to move on contracted players when they don't see them in the longer term. If they were to wait 12 months to trade him they wouldn't get much in return
    The fact that they want Zac Jones more means Bruce is a bit surplus to their needs next year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There could very well be something to this but I do think clubs are happy to move on contracted players when they don't see them in the longer term. If they were to wait 12 months to trade him they wouldn't get much in return
    The fact that they want Zac Jones more means Bruce is a bit surplus to their needs next year
    I still think, if you rate a player, you don't try and push them out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they’re in getting the other king as well
    Going to be interesting, seems Dal Santo’s done is a favour

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see the GCS King leaving. If I had to be honest I see the reverse, the Saints King moving up North. The concessions that the AFL have just handed GCS will make it easier/more attractive over the next few years. Much willl depend on Ratten and how he relates to the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I can't see the GCS King leaving. If I had to be honest I see the reverse, the Saints King moving up North. The concessions that the AFL have just handed GCS will make it easier/more attractive over the next few years. Much willl depend on Ratten and how he relates to the players.
    The King boys were St Kilda fans as kids and grew up around the Moorabbin area. I can't see Max heading North at all.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The King boys were St Kilda fans as kids and grew up around the Moorabbin area. I can't see Max heading North at all.
    They also spent time at the Saints.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Kind of positive, although clearly Lloyd wasn't watching Schache after his recall at all.
    Or in Round 2 where he kicked 4 against Hawthorn and earned a Brownlow vote.

But apparently on his 'best day' he gets two or three.

19. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still think, if you rate a player, you don't try and push them out.
    Are they pushing him out? He's contracted and asked for a long term extension and they didn't see him in that way.
    He has them shopped himself around and we've jumped at that option

The same applies to Alex Keath who wanted a long term deal from the Crows and having been burned by the useless Gibbs the Crows are gun shy on a 4 year deal on a player who's 28 next year and only has one very good year of footy behind him

I don't for one minute think Keath has been pushed out it's just circumstances

For clubs it depends on where the club is from a list management perspective. The Crows are rebuilding and will go down a more youth focused path. The Saints are probably in the same window and are wanting to put more faith in Max King

We are probably in the opposite list management window and are wanting to add some age and experience and certainly to address the massive gap we had this year with depth and quality of our KP players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Likes strebla liked this post