Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  76
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Josh Bruce 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Bruce 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    That actually makes a fair bit of sense for Melbourne and Bruce.

Bruce would be #1 target at Melbourne. He will always be behind Naughton in terms of planning/position/opportunities at our club.

I don't want to miss out, but I understand why 'people' would be talking.
    He wants to play finals. I mean it's remotely feasible Melbourne play in a final while Bruce is there I suppose.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He wants to play finals. I mean it's remotely feasible Melbourne play in a final while Bruce is there I suppose.
    I don't really like Melbourne's side either, but they were many people's premiership tip last year. Even in our own predictions thread (here: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showth...ht=predictions) they were routinely picked to finish in the top 4 (though to be fair, not a lot of people had a try).

Playing finals in 2020 is not a slam dunk for us. In the back half of the year when we were 'flying', we still lost to the Saints, North and the Lions - who finals footy showed up as an absolute pretender. Oh yeah, and we may have been completely smashed in a final against the Giants whose team had/has some pretty big holes in it.

I have to admit, I am enjoying the positivity about our prospects for next season but the others teams seem to be improving as well. If Melbourne could somehow snare Bruce that will really help them is all I am saying.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I have to admit, I am enjoying the positivity about our prospects for next season but the others teams seem to be improving as well. If Melbourne could somehow snare Bruce that will really help them is all I am saying.
    I think thats reasonable - but do Melbourne really have the money after having gone and got Lever, May and Tomlinson - they have a host of others who will be on big money.

And the fact that Bruce has been clear he wants to come to us, and has agreed terms means that he will likely get to us.

I understand the saints posturing, I do, but they don't want him, likely cant afford him with Dougal Howard coming in, and 32 isnt a bad pick for an asset you dont want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I think thats reasonable - but do Melbourne really have the money after having gone and got Lever, May and Tomlinson - they have a host of others who will be on big money.

And the fact that Bruce has been clear he wants to come to us, and has agreed terms means that he will likely get to us.

I understand the saints posturing, I do, but they don't want him, likely cant afford him with Dougal Howard coming in, and 32 isnt a bad pick for an asset you dont want.
    The biggest problem is that there is just too long left in the draft period. Nobody is under any real pressure yet, but I do worry that if we are sitting here getting stir crazy then how are the players doing? Does someone like Bruce (who has now committed to leaving and probably feels like there is no turning back) start to get toey and start becoming more open to other offers?

Surely the AFL look at shortening the 10 days. I know it is bigger than just fan entertainment, but that is the angle they are going for and it has been like watching paint dry. It is quite comical tuning into Fox’s draft show every night and watching them clutch at straws and pad time every night though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    The biggest problem is that there is just too long left in the draft period. Nobody is under any real pressure yet, but I do worry that if we are sitting here getting stir crazy then how are the players doing? Does someone like Bruce (who has now committed to leaving and probably feels like there is no turning back) start to get toey and start becoming more open to other offers?

Surely the AFL look at shortening the 10 days. I know it is bigger than just fan entertainment, but that is the angle they are going for and it has been like watching paint dry. It is quite comical tuning into Fox’s draft show every night and watching them clutch at straws and pad time every night though.
    Power will be on the phone to Bruce's Manager (or vice versa more like it), most days telling him they're gonna get it done, just sit tight.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could somehow include Ben Long as a circuit breaker? Split our 13 to get a few low 20’s picks and give them one for Bruce and Long (maybe with a swap of late picks)?

Post Thanks / Like

The trade period should be no more than Monday to Friday, 10 days is stupidity.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

There's not a lot I like about Long for me to consider a move back to WO.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade period is for the clubs and players, not fans sitting around waiting for action. Does it really matter how long deals take to happen?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Trade period is for the clubs and players, not fans sitting around waiting for action. Does it really matter how long deals take to happen?
    Yes it does because the AFL has tried to turn it into entertainment so it can control the news cycle with endless content until the summer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like Saints have committed to the big price tags with this pick trade. Which means they can't pay Bruce and the new names. Hopefully this one falls down soon now the first domino has fallen.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Power will be on the phone to Bruce's Manager (or vice versa more like it), most days telling him they're gonna get it done, just sit tight.
    Yep, we have tbe upper hand in this becusse they have a salary cap problem. If saints dont trade it will send bad sign to rest of tbeir list and player managers aka look at essendon being pig beaded with their trading .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Yep, we have tbe upper hand in this becusse they have a salary cap problem. If saints dont trade it will send bad sign to rest of tbeir list and player managers aka look at essendon being pig beaded with their trading .
    The Saints don't have an issue with their cap, far from it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Do you think they will be close to full should they acquire all of their targets?

I wonder if moving Bruce out is also about banking a little and ensuring they have enough left to get King next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Seemed pretty keen to unload Carlisle’s big salary