Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  76
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Josh Bruce 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Bruce 2019

Could we offer 32 plus 52 with the saints 58 coming back.
    That gets them a pick in the third round.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft points trade would fix it. Pick 32 & 52 for Freo's Pick 26.

Saints: Pick 26
    Dogs: Bruce for effectivly 32 & 52 (could be pick 60 after more compo and bids being matched)
    Freo: 101 extra draft points for Liam Henry (NGA) going first round

Everyone wins.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 07-10-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Posted this in my early list management thread:

St Kilda want better than 32 for Bruce. St Kilda want a pick in the 20's or 30's back on Brad Hill/Pick 6. Freo only have Pick 26 currently, there's an opportunity to pick trade for mutual benefit with a club we've had a good recent relationship with.

Freo: Picks 32 & 52 (pick 26)
    Dogs: Pick 26 (Bruce)
    Saints: Get their demands: better than Pick 32 for Bruce (Pick 26), get back pick in the 20's or 30's back (Pick 32).

Freo get the 246 draft points attached to Pick 52 by trading their pick down to Pick 32 (going anyway), towards Liam Henry NGA likely first rounder. Depending on the pick they get for Langdon, they might be interested in pick 50 for a future 3rd rounder too. While they get Pick 6. Freo tell their fans they've got Picks 6 & 7 and Liam Henry (first rounder).

Dogs gets Bruce for effectively picks 32 & 52. Dogs tell their fans we got an effective KPF for just a couple of mid/later picks.

St Kilda get Brad Hill, Pick 26 (Dogs) & Pick 32 (Freo). And say there demands on both trades were meh and they drive a hard bargain.

The three trades seem so common sense, and represent a win/s, it should be done quickly and everyone move onto other things.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Posted this in my early list management thread:

St Kilda want better than 32 for Bruce. St Kilda want a pick in the 20's or 30's back on Brad Hill/Pick 6. Freo only have Pick 26 currently, there's an opportunity to pick trade for mutual benefit with a club we've had a good recent relationship with.

Freo: Picks 32 & 52 (pick 26)
    Dogs: Pick 26 (Bruce)
    Saints: Get their demands: better than Pick 32 for Bruce (Pick 26), get back pick in the 20's or 30's back (Pick 32).

Freo get the 246 draft points attached to Pick 52 by trading their pick down to Pick 32 (going anyway), towards Liam Henry NGA likely first rounder. Depending on the pick they get for Langdon, they might be interested in pick 50 for a future 3rd rounder too. While they get Pick 6. Freo tell their fans they've got Picks 6 & 7 and Liam Henry (first rounder).

Dogs gets Bruce for effectively picks 32 & 52. Dogs tell their fans we got an effective KPF for just a couple of mid/later picks.

St Kilda get Brad Hill, Pick 26 (Dogs) & Pick 32 (Freo). And say there demands on both trades were meh and they drive a hard bargain.

The three trades seem so common sense, and represent a win/s, it should be done quickly and everyone move onto other things.
    In your opinion BT - is it looking more likely we hold onto pick 13? Any chance we take this to the draft or try and trade for next years picks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    In your opinion BT - is it looking more likely we hold onto pick 13? Any chance we take this to the draft or try and trade for next years picks?
    If we can pull off a trade up the order to 26 and St Kilda accept. Then the two options on Keath are:

Pick 44, or
    Pick 13 for Pick 24 & WCE Player (wedge into Kelly trade)
    Pick 13 & Keath for pick 23.

Depends a lot on how difficult Adelaide are going to be. There's some chance we hold Pick 13 and then look at whether to use it at the draft, trade it or look to fold it into next year.

If we so wanted, Pick 11 is the GCS compo pick next year which is fixed (other than compo before it which isn't a big risk). The fixed nature of removes much of the risk of a club over performing. We could offer Pick 13 this year for Pick 11 next year, and a small something for us (say Nicholls & Pick 57). GCS land 1, 2, 13, 15 & 20. We get two first rounders next year, which we then split in pick trades again next year all but ensuring no/to very small draft points deficit.

It's hard to say what the list management strategy is from out outside, this early, as it relates to draft points next year (done this year), draft points next year and/or a possible draft points deficit in 2021. There's a lot of ways the strategy can go, and varying merit in them.

In my opinion, I'd use pick 13 this year in one way or another this trade period if something good opens up. We've got good picks and the spare cap now. Say we were 1,000 points short next year, that's this trade period and next where someone may request a trade out and the pick helps out. Plus draft point trading next year. I don't see a big draft presence unless we take in Pick 13 into it. I don't mind a quiet draft knowing what's coming next year and bringing in mature, and good role players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Draft points trade would fix it. Pick 32 & 52 for Freo's Pick 26.

Saints: Pick 26
    Dogs: Bruce for effectivly 32 & 52 (could be pick 60 after more compo and bids being matched)
    Freo: 101 extra draft points for Liam Henry (NGA) going first round

Everyone wins.
    I’m sure you’ve mentioned it elsewhere but with this scenario how do you see us landing Keath BT?

Edit: BT, you beat me to it. Ignore this Q.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any chance the Bombers try to stick their nose in this deal with Daniher out the door?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Any chance the Bombers try to stick their nose in this deal with Daniher out the door?
    I am worried about that. Hopefully their hardballing in the Daniher situation sees Dodoro drag that trade to the line (like with the Stringer trade) and keeps him too distracted to get amongst the Bruce situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce has already said he wants to come to us. Surely he doesn't do a Hurley.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Bruce wants to play a role in the Western Bulldogs’ push for top four in 2020 and beyond

St Kilda forward Josh Bruce wants to join the Western Bulldogs’ top-four tilt in a bid to play in his first finals campaign next season.

Bruce, 27, has met with Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge and is excited about partnering spearhead Aaron Naughton as part of a new twin tower setup at the kennel in 2020.

While the four-year offer from the Dogs is a contract he cannot refuse, there is the added appeal of joining a club which could genuinely contend for next year’s flag.

The Dogs are rated an $11 chance with TAB to win the 2020 premiership, while St Kilda has the second-longest premiership odds ($51) above only Gold Coast.

Bruce had not played in a final in his eight years in the league and is keen to end his finals drought at his third club.

The former Greater Western Sydney key forward has also enjoyed only one winning season (more than 50 per cent win ratio) – when the Saints won 12 games in 2016.

It means the chance to capitalise on one of the best young midfield brigades in the game alongside Naughton has significant appeal in the prime part of Bruce’s career.

St Kilda is optimistic about its future and could yet become one of the biggest winners from this year’s trade period with grand plans to add Brad Hill (Fremantle), Paddy Ryder (Port Adelaide), Dan Butler (Richmond) and Zak Jones (Sydney).

But the Saints are in the midst of a significant transition and could yet take more time to mature into a genuine premiership candidate.

The Dogs were considered the most in-form team in the league late in the regular season before crashing out of the finals in an upset first-round loss to GWS Giants.

Beveridge’s men have vowed to be aggressive players in the trade period and are expected to bolster the back half with the arrival of Adelaide key defender Alex Keath.

Dogs list manager Sam Power said the club wanted to bolster its spine.

“We’ve identified some key position players as really adding to our group and we’ll work through those conversations over the next week,” Power said.

Naughton is rated one of the most exciting young players in the game and Bruce could play a significant role alongside the youngster helping shoulder the goal kicking load.

Bruce is contracted for one more season at St Kilda, but the Saints are yet to offer the forward a contract extension beyond 2020.

The lack of a formal extension from St Kilda in recent months has made the Dogs’ position even more attractive.

St Kilda wants more than pick No. 32 from the Dogs to seal the deal, according to football boss Simon Leathlean.

"Getting on specifics is a bit hard, but right here, right now, I don't feel like pick 32 is appropriate for our biggest key forward who has got a year to go on his contract," Lethlean said.

"If they want to offer a four-year deal and big money, I don't think that's the right sort of pick.

"Time will tell. You don't want to put your stake in the ground too early. If we get other things done and it helps us get other things done, we'll wait and see.

"But it doesn't feel quite right to me."

Bruce is determined to make the move to the kennel to help round out his career at his third club.

Bruce has a good relationship with Beveridge and was brought to the Saints by Dogs chief executive Ameet Bains when he was at Seaford.

14. Thanks bornadog, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes Doggy, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too concerned, plenty to play out with everyone having their own targets

If they want a soon to be 28yo, I'd be a bit surprised
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bruce has already said he wants to come to us. Surely he doesn't do a Hurley.
    That's only likely to happen with players staying at their own clubs, in Bruce's mind he's checked out of the Saints

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like hearing Saints supporters calling in about it being pick 13 or nothing with a trade for Bruce and that they should play hard ball
    It's all strong stuff and good luck to them

These are the interesting points to me:

1) The Saints have confirmed that they aren't in a position to offer Bruce an extension at this point. The onus is clearly on the player to wear the risk going forward.

2) Assuming they won't let him go and we won't use pick 13 unless we get something significant coming back then he comes out of contract at the end of 2020 and assuming we are still interested the Saints would probably get an end of 2nd round pick as compensation and we get him for nothing on a 3 year deal.

3) If we are to use pick 13 (and we might) we would still need their 2nd round pick in 2020 coming back to us. I have previously valued this.

Over all I can see why #32 might be a fraction light on but we could tip in a 3rd round pick (or a swap of sorts) to get the deal done
    As it stands #32 is around the mark. I still think it's in the Saints best interest to get the deal done early

19. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like hearing Saints supporters calling in about it being pick 13 or nothing with a trade for Bruce and that they should play hard ball
    It's all strong stuff and good luck to them

These are the interesting points to me:

1) The Saints have confirmed that they aren't in a position to offer Bruce an extension at this point. The onus is clearly on the player to wear the risk going forward.

2) Assuming they won't let him go and we won't use pick 13 unless we get something significant coming back then he comes out of contract at the end of 2020 and assuming we are still interested the Saints would probably get an end of 2nd round pick as compensation and we get him for nothing on a 3 year deal.

3) If we are to use pick 13 (and we might) we would still need their 2nd round pick in 2020 coming back to us. I have previously valued this.

Over all I can see why #32 might be a fraction light on but we could tip in a 3rd round pick (or a swap of sorts) to get the deal done
    As it stands #32 is around the mark. I still think it's in the Saints best interest to get the deal done early
    Maybe. I think they might want to know what they need in other deals before signing the dotted line in a trade for Bruce or Steven in case they're short. Would be great to get our two trades done early

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if the Keath deal goes through quicker.
    Bring back the biff