Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  76
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Josh Bruce 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Bruce 2019

It's not often these type of trades don't get done where a player nominates the club. Kelly last year was a different situation. We just need to hold our nerve and not offer up pick 13. Like others have said 32 is about right. If we can trade 32 and something down into the 20's its a win for the Saints and we'll be doing them a favour, but IMO I don't think we'll have to. They are the ones who are desperate for picks to get all their deals done in time so its just a waiting game from our end. They'll blink first, they have to.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    It's not often these type of trades don't get done where a player nominates the club. Kelly last year was a different situation. We just need to hold our nerve and not offer up pick 13. Like others have said 32 is about right. If we can trade 32 and something down into the 20's its a win for the Saints and we'll be doing them a favour, but IMO I don't think we'll have to. They are the ones who are desperate for picks to get all their deals done in time so its just a waiting game from our end. They'll blink first, they have to.
    They are sure chasing a few, now they want Butler
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They are sure chasing a few, now they want Butler
    I wonder if that means Sam Gray has knocked them back. Carlton said Gray isn't a thing for them either. Staying at Port doesn't look viable either. Integrating to see where he ends up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like hearing Saints supporters calling in about it being pick 13 or nothing with a trade for Bruce and that they should play hard ball
    It's all strong stuff and good luck to them

These are the interesting points to me:

1) The Saints have confirmed ...
    What about:

- The Saints don't need to confirm that they already have Membrey and King. And have committed to Ryder in order to play a 2-headed ruck-forward 'thing' using him and Marshall.

(In other words they have no room for Bruce).

- The Saints will still need to PAY for Bruce who has no role in their team. And he is on a not insignificant (although admittedly, short term) contract.

(Pretty sure the idea of paying someone $600k to play full forward in the VFL represents a very (very) poor ROI).

St Kilda need Bruce gone. Everyone knows this. Trades like this are exhausting as the Saints want 'fair value' for a player who they 'are happy to keep'. Except they aren't prepared to keep him. At the same time, I think even the most ardent Dogs fan would acknowledge that pick 32 isn't QUITE enough...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What about:

- The Saints don't need to confirm that they already have Membrey and King. And have committed to Ryder in order to play a 2-headed ruck-forward 'thing' using him and Marshall.

- The Saints will still need to PAY for Bruce who has no role in their team. And he is on a not insignificant (although admittedly, short term) contract.

(Pretty sure the idea of paying someone $600k to play full forward in the VFL represents a very (very) poor ROI).

St Kilda need Bruce gone. Everyone knows this. Trades like this are exhausting as the Saints want 'fair value' for a player who they 'are happy to keep'. Except they aren't prepared to keep him. At the same time, I think even the most ardent Dogs fan would acknowledge that pick 32 isn't QUITE enough...
    The Carlisle salary must be really hurting them . Its a good thing
    Very few picks , losing a decent player and having an ageing player in Carlisle on their list and Cartain ( who may or may it get into the park due to his injuries, no disrespect ). The hanneberry trade hasn’t helped

We should play hard ball

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What about:

I'm pretty confident the deal will get done in some form but it does get a touch annoying to hear clubs say they haven't heard from the player of his intention to leave when lets face it they know exactly what is going on
    On top of what you say they have also flagged their intention to chase the contracted Ben King this year and next if needed

Yes they need him gone, and yes it most likely gets done and I agree pick #32 is just a bit light on. Its not a perfect science though
    If we had pick #27 there wouldn't be a lot for them to have a whinge about

Im a bit more concerned about Keaths delayed start to be honest and how we value a trade for him. We are wearing just a bit if risk there
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love BTs idea of the 32 for 26 swap with Freo. 26 would get the Bruce deal done very quickly in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Our pick 32 and pick 45 (post Tomlinson compo) is roughly pick 19-20 points equivalent. That may be more attractive to the Saints than a straight pick 26 as it gives them flexibility for Zac Jones and Paddy Ryder.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

A 10 day trade period is just ridiculous. Should be cut to 5 working days.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pick 32 for Bruce and thats it in my view.

Only way we should add a 3rd round pick is so long as it doesn't interfere with Keath deal and we get a 2020 3rd round back

What are Saints going to do? Walk away?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

If Crameri was worth pick 26 as a 27 year old Bruce certainly is as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If Crameri was worth pick 26 as a 27 year old Bruce certainly is as well.
    He wasn't.

Although I guess I shouldn't be so harsh on the deal considering we haven't got to cash in on all that equity we won by being fair.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He wasn't.

Although I guess I shouldn't be so harsh on the deal considering we haven't got to cash in on all that equity we won by being fair.
    He was 3-time keading goalkicker at Essendon before joining the Dogs, so the Bruce comparison is not that far off the mark.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He wasn't.

I thought we held out with Esserden demanding more:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...024-2w3ol.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought we held out with Esserden demanding more:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...024-2w3ol.html
    Essendon as a club are so drenched in tox-masc bro culture that they always simultaneously have to look like the bigger person and hard done by. Their fixation with perception and winning the battle of public opinion is why they can never get anywhere, and any communication that comes out of them can't be taken seriously.

We could've gotten him for nothing via the PSD (not that anyone does that anymore) and the want for him was largely driven by McCartney as I remember it; there was the looming ASADA cloud coupled with the fact of Crameri not being altogether that good, but we decided to play nice for reasons I still can't figure out.

If Bruce is worth the same as Crameri then he's *worth* the same, not whatever inflated price we paid. I think he's worth more and still would only pay ~32 for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -