Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Bruce 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Bruce 2019

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Won't believe it until He is in our jumper.
    Aaron Naughton following Bruce on Instagram this week doesn't sway you?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Aaron Naughton following Bruce on Instagram this week doesn't sway you?
    Not really he could just be following the news.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not really he could just be following the news.
    With Wingard last year, Instragram stuff means less than nothing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo on Channel 7 just said Bruce has one foot in the door at Whitten Oval and the trade will happen.

5. Thanks azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are exactly the sorts of second tier trades we tend to get done. They might not get you articles in the paper along with pictures of recruiting managers holding their latest catch aloft and claiming they have won trade period but they do win you games and even premierships.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes azabob, 1eyedog, strebla, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce will be good for us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Same. Seen it all before, media guy says it's a lock then he gets traded somewhere else, happens more often than it should. I'll follow him on Twitter/Instagram when or if it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Out the door at St Kilda. Though only four St Kilda players this year polled more votes than him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Same. Seen it all before, media guy says it's a lock then he gets traded somewhere else, happens more often than it should. I'll follow him on Twitter/Instagram when or if it happens.
    Agree, need the signature
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On an extra plus for this deal, it rules out some silly trade for Josh Jenkins and his significant salary. A Win-win-lose for Adelaide. Good stuff.

13. Likes hujsh, strebla, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hun:

Josh Bruce (St Kilda)

Lock him in at the Dogs now that St Kilda has secured Patrick Ryder, likely on a deal of four years. He gets security, the Dogs get a foil for Aaron Naughton, the Saints get a pick to secure Zak Jones.

15. Likes Bulldog4life, 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been digging into Josh's career stats to really understand what he's done to date, and ended up doing some player comparisons. I've got three KPF comparisons to date:

Charlie Dixon (traded for pick 10 and a fair bit more)
    Sam Reid of Sydney (was talk of trade last contract for a first rounder)
    Joe Daniher (probably traded for a top 10 puck this year)
    ---------------
    Josh Bruce (looking like traded for pick 30)

Bruce might not play like, or have the public profile of the above players. But these career comparisons demonstrate Bruce' performances/career statistical averages are akin to Daniher, Reid & Dixon. Not only are we paying a fraction of the first rounders price tags, it seems like we are trying to acquire the same forward impact for less in trades and wages. I'm not sure if 'Moneyball' encompasses a four year $600,000 contract, but it should. The pleasantly surprising comparisons, remembering Bruce played three seasons as a defender:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=C&fid2=C

Joe Daniher

Sam Reid

Charlie Dixon

17. Thanks Doggy, Grantysghost, AshMac, choconmientay, ratsmac, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Footy (Herald Sun) just posted a screen shot of social media of Josh Bruce following Aaron Naughton (in return from Naughts doing it last week).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've been digging into Josh's career stats to really understand what he's done to date, and ended up doing some player comparisons. I've got three KPF comparisons to date:

Charlie Dixon (traded for pick 10 and a fair bit more)
    Sam Reid of Sydney (was talk of trade last contract for a first rounder)
    Joe Daniher (probably traded for a top 10 puck this year)
    ---------------
    Josh Bruce (looking like traded for pick 30)

Bruce might not play like, or have the public profile of the above players. But these career comparisons demonstrate Bruce' performances/career statistical averages are akin to Daniher, Reid & Dixon. Not only are we paying a fraction of the first rounders price tags, it seems like we are trying to acquire the same forward impact for less in trades and wages. I'm not sure if 'Moneyball' encompasses a four year $600,000 contract, but it should. The pleasantly surprising comparisons, remembering Bruce played three seasons as a defender:

Joe Daniher

Sam Reid

Charlie Dixon
    Are you giving them ideas.... ?

This will end up on Twitter or in the paper and the aints would want a lot more than ... pick 30
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Are you giving them ideas.... ?

This will end up on Twitter or in the paper and the aints would want a lot more than ... pick 30
    Um. These are all doctored and false. Ignore me.