Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  21
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cash Converters 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Sauce Jacobs has left crows as rfa. I think no, but would he be considered for a couple of years whilst Tim develops?
    He is leaving to be number 1 ruck at GWS because Mummy is cooked, he isn't going to come to us to likely play the majority of the season in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He is leaving to be number 1 ruck at GWS because Mummy is cooked, he isn't going to come to us to likely play the majority of the season in the VFL.
    Actually that makes sense. He would be a good replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

What about these?

Cedric Cox - Brisbane

Taken at pick 24 in the 2016 draft. We were very keen on him. He is a quick indigenous winger from Halls creek WA via the North Ballarat Rebels. Has struggled for opportunity so far at the Lions and managing just the 13 games so far. Brisbane are after Callum Ah Chee from Suns so this could diminish his prospects further. He might be gettable? Perhaps a late 3rd rounder?

Aiden Bonar - GWS

Taken with pick 11 at the 2017 draft. He is powerfully built midfielder/forward with good goal sense and a strong tackler. Has only played 6 games with so many midfielders ahead of him at GWS. They might see him as surplus to their needs and may require a salary dump in order to retain the likes of Whitifeld & Cameron coming up. Therefore he might come cheaper than we think. a 3rd rounder?

Aidyn Johnson - Port Adelaide

Taken with pick 45 at the 2015 draft. An indigenous former AFL academy member from Bendigo who is a quick winger/flanker type with good goal sense. Has managed just 11 games in his career so far. He is also out of contract. I doubt he would cost much.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks Happy Days, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, jeemak, Dry Rot, Testekill, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Johnson a Bendigo boy Doc or did his footy take him to the rebels from out of town?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

He came from within the Bendigo Pioneers catchment as far as I know.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    SEN, radio. Noting in print.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Be careful with that stuff, it rots your brain.
    Absolutely correct. I listened to it flat out for a few years around 2008-2011 and it literally made me regress mentally and emotionally. The advertisements (Franco on the not yet connected toilet, you know, because ethnics), the hullabaloo, KB and other presenters turning the whip around and bludgeoning dead horses with the handle instead of moving on. Tim Watson and Andy Maher on the ill-informed issue merry go round every single morning, and finally, the talk back.

It was absolute poison and I can't see how it's gotten any better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    What about these?

Cedric Cox - Brisbane

Taken at pick 24 in the 2016 draft. We were very keen on him. He is a quick indigenous winger from Halls creek WA via the North Ballarat Rebels. Has struggled for opportunity so far at the Lions and managing just the 13 games so far. Brisbane are after Callum Ah Chee from Suns so this could diminish his prospects further. He might be gettable? Perhaps a late 3rd rounder?

Aiden Bonar - GWS

Taken with pick 11 at the 2017 draft. He is powerfully built midfielder/forward with good goal sense and a strong tackler. Has only played 6 games with so many midfielders ahead of him at GWS. They might see him as surplus to their needs and may require a salary dump in order to retain the likes of Whitifeld & Cameron coming up. Therefore he might come cheaper than we think. a 3rd rounder?

Aidyn Johnson - Port Adelaide

Taken with pick 45 at the 2015 draft. An indigenous former AFL academy member from Bendigo who is a quick winger/flanker type with good goal sense. Has managed just 11 games in his career so far. He is also out of contract. I doubt he would cost much.
    Terrific recommendations Doc that really fit the Cash Converters theme

I'd suggest that the Lions are probably in no rush to let Cedric Cox out of his contract early but 13 games in 3 years isn't much of a return for given he was an early enough selection. A 3rd rounder seems about right but it could also be just a flip flop of 3rd round picks ie our pick #41 for their pick #51 and Cox if they're keen to open up list spots.

Aiden Bonar is an interesting one. He's struggled since he arrived at the club with injuries but as you have noted he's versatile and a stronger tackler especially up forward. Clearing some salary cap could be a huge consideration for them plus they have a lot of players that will come back from injuries next season which potentially pushes Bonar further back in the order
    Once again, a 3rd rounder would be in the mix.

Aidyn Johnson has just struggled with form and injuries but he's highly athletic and could be worth bringing him in

With spots on our list at premium at the moment we probably only have room for one, perhaps two of the players but all three of them wouldn't cost a anything more than later picks.

Great suggestions
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A few other names to consider but with likely limited appeal

Ben Keays from Brisbane is an out of favor midfielder from the Lions who's out of contract. We were interested in him in the past

Nick Robertson - Experienced defender or midfielder who is adept at tagging or shutting opposition players. Out of contract at the Lions

Wylie Buzza - has struggled for games at Geelong but as a KPP can play forward and is useful in the ruck. Out of contract and perhaps a more versatile back up option than Zac Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Aiden Bonar is an interesting one. He's struggled since he arrived at the club with injuries but as you have noted he's versatile and a stronger tackler especially up forward. Clearing some salary cap could be a huge consideration for them plus they have a lot of players that will come back from injuries next season which potentially pushes Bonar further back in the order
    Once again, a 3rd rounder would be in the mix.
    He looked like a pretty good junior and I am surprised he hasn't played more, but I guess injuries haven't helped.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Keays from Brisbane is an out of favor midfielder from the Lions who's out of contract. We were interested in him in the past

Nick Robertson - Experienced defender or midfielder who is adept at tagging or shutting opposition players. Out of contract at the Lions

Wylie Buzza - has struggled for games at Geelong but as a KPP can play forward and is useful in the ruck. Out of contract and perhaps a more versatile back up option than Zac Smith
    I was interested in Keays based on some outstanding NEAFL form but he really got shown up in his chances at the top level this year. He's just not quick enough to play the role he's been groomed for.

Robertson might have saved his career with that performance on Whitfield. Could address some concerns that arose out of our finals exit but he's a total liability with the ball in hand and I don't know if what he brings is enough to counter-balance his weaknesses.

I don't see it with Buzza and we'd be making the play based on theoretical upside and nothing more.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Aiden Bonar - GWS

How does a player who has been on the list for just the mandatory 2 yr draftee contract constitute a salary dump?

They would simply be replaced by another draftee on the same wage.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

While Buzza may not be any chance of regular games, I would agree that he has more going for him as a back up than Zac Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    How does a player who has been on the list for just the mandatory 2 yr draftee contract constitute a salary dump?

They gave him a two year extension in about $400,000 a season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They gave him a two year extension in about $400,000 a season.
    As BT mentioned, they over committed to him, they can get a player to replace for less than half of that. It's a small reduction but if he's behind in the pecking order and they get a draft pick it might help

Post Thanks / Like

As BT mentioned, they over committed to him, they can get a player to replace for less than half of that. It's a small reduction but if he's behind in the pecking order and they get a draft pick it might help
    That is poor list management if true. With all the salary cap pressure they have been under, it just has no logic.