Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  45

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Whitten (Western) Oval. A bucket list item ticked

I spent every winter of my childhood, adolescence and young adulthood going to the Western (now Whitten!) Oval for the footy with my Dad and my Auntys and Uncles (and their assocated footy mates). Born in the mid 60's, I literally can't remember a time before going to the ground. As a young kid to an pre teen, we stood at the Barkly St end, and I rode cardboard toboggans down the back of the mound to the tennis courts, raced other kids up and over the tennis court fences to retrieve footy roosted (all too often by the opposition) through the goals and onto the courts (even was first to one once), climbed to the top of the new hoardings when they went in, or stood on my milkcrate and barracked with the family. It was a familiar playground.

At some point we moved to the Geelong road end (maybe to finally get away from the oppo cheersquads!). Our family meeting/viewing point from then remained constant - beside the powerpole, under the speaker through which you could hear the needle dropped on the 45, so the Fable Singers could belt out "Sons of the 'Scray", before, and sometimes after, the game.

I was there for the last game, I was there when Neil Scahse went down, when Templeton kicked 15, counless times when Hawkins won a 1 on 1 from a kickout (and the day he came back from his knee), when we held Carlton to one goal, when Quinlan kicked a goal from the center circle, when Libba jnr did his knee, there for countless harsh defeats, and many sweet victories. I've been on the ground helping hold up the banner, queued for finals tickets, taken my life in my hands taking a leak in the Gordon St toilets, watched from inside the old scoreboard, knew how to sneak into the stands, and the rooms after the game. I've had pies from the 4n20 kids, donuts from the purple van, peanuts from the peanut man, franks from Huttons, and VB's from the Can Bar (in all it's interations). Wins, losses, draws, Rain, wind, hail sunshine. Never left early, never lost an argument with the opposition ;-)

I love that oval.

I started skydiving in 1990, done over 5000 jumps since then. I've jumped into the Grand Prix, the MCG, over the Sydney Harbour bridge, off the Westgate, into every racecourse in Melbourne, Princes Park, Royal Park, Albert Park, Falkner park.

But never my home ground.

Last week I heard that a buddy was delivering the contest ball for the 104.3 "Gran Final". So I called in some favours, and got on the jump with him.

Today, I got a brand new view of the oval. Bucketlist item ticked off.

Final approach. My new favourite view of my oldest favourite oval.
    Last edited by NoseBleed; 23-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.