Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suns Priority Pick

Mark Evans in the role of CEO at the Suns has to be held accountable. Yes they were a rabble when he got there but what has he achieved in almost 3 years in the role? One of the most important issues for him to manage surely had to be player retention. He's had plenty of time to address it and has failed spectacularly as everyone still wants out.

GWS built their club around Ward and Davis early on. They are the backbone of that club & young players as they come in clearly look up to them. Suns don't have a backbone. This is what they need to do.

I don't think Evans knows what he is doing or if he does then how to do it.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd argue that they still need to do a lot more. Pre listing 2 players from the state league competitions should be granted as well

I also like how you both want to see Melbourne punished a bit more
    A little off topic, but perhaps this group might be able to solve something I haven’t forgotten in 30 years.

It’s the MCG. Circa 1989. Jim Stynes is playing because the Melbourne supporter behind us is Irish and will not stop yelling “Jimmy”. I’m 7 or 8 and wasn’t quick enough to read the banner. The demons fans laugh arrogantly, my dad scoffs in disbelief. When I ask him what the banner said, he says “let’s beat the bulldogs, then worry about the good teams”

To this day, I don’t know if he paraphrased or that’s what the banner said. He obviously can’t remember.

I’ve hated Melbourne ever since. My least favourite team in the league.

Would love to know what the banner said. Won’t change how I feel about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How about getting rid of the people who are in charge and put some in place who get the players to WANT to stay.

If they lose Jack Martin (to Melbourne) and Cal Ah Chee (to Brisbane) that is a disgrace. They are both top 10 draft picks and both from WA. This isn't the go-home factor...this is the 'Anywhere but here' factor.

I am looking squarely at the CEO. Continually saying it is hard to make it work on the GC is a cop out/crutch for those in charge. All it means to me is there should be a long list of 'what not to do'. So don't do that stuff.

Honestly, being in the cut and thrust of 'the game' has appeal to some players. For others, the idea of earning good coin to live 'off broadway' is VERY attractive...and wanting to be out of the spotlight does not mean that they aren't ferocious competitors.

Facilities are good now. Players really do care about that. Being up there, warm weather...it would hold a lot of appeal to the RIGHT player. Recruit those players. I know the two metro kids are going 1-2 but that seems like a really crap idea to me...they are going to want to move back to Melbourne and will have 9x clubs to choose from. Find some country boys - regional Vic, SA, WA - and get them. Select ones who haven't grown up sitting in the crowd with 99000 others and dreamed of playing 'there'...find the ones who dreamed of playing a league game for their local club and playing in a local premiership.

Talent isn't the answer. They have talent. They need happy players who are prepared to grind away. They need to find their version of Michael Voss, their version of Jonathon Brown...the Giants found them in Coniglio and Cameron. Who have the Suns found? Touk Miller I guess...but he is a foot soldier.

I think the continual commentary around how 'hard' it is to become a success on the GC is not helping. There will be players who simply DREAM of playing...pick them. Spend every spare cent on player development, max out the soft cap with a top notch medical team and equipment no-one else has...the sort of gear that will convince the NEXT 'Luke Hodge' candidate that the GC is the place to continue earning $500K per year for an EXTRA couple of years (this means a lot to players...look at the players pushing for 7 year deals now!)...
    I like it.

Any assistance offered needs to be contingent on a robust investigation into the operations of the club. Find the ACTUAL problems the club has retaining talent and fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Mark Evans in the role of CEO at the Suns has to be held accountable. Yes they were a rabble when he got there but what has he achieved in almost 3 years in the role? One of the most important issues for him to manage surely had to be player retention. He's had plenty of time to address it and has failed spectacularly as everyone still wants out.

GWS built their club around Ward and Davis early on. They are the backbone of that club & young players as they come in clearly look up to them. Suns don't have a backbone. This is what they need to do.

I don't think Evans knows what he is doing or if he does then how to do it.
    Why are people surprised that a product of City Hall is incompetent? Lethers at St Kilda is anorher example. City Hall is like a govt beurocracy - bloated,.over-paid and bereft of talent.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Why are people surprised that a product of City Hall is incompetent? Lethers at St Kilda is anorher example. City Hall is like a govt bureaucracy - bloated,.over-paid and bereft of talent.
    and jobs for the boys.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL slaps trade ban on Gold Coast Suns in sudden backflip on draft concessions

The AFL has banned the Gold Coast Suns from trading a concession pick for next year’s draft in the upcoming 2020 trade period - because the club could be stripped of the selection.

Gold Coast received a three-year assistance package last season, starting with the 2019 draft’s No.1 overall pick and the first pick of the second round.

story continues in link above
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.