Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Suns Priority Pick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suns Priority Pick

Sorry, stinks. They have had their chances with upteen first rounders. When does it stop.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'll buck the trend here and say it's a reasonable decision. I suggested a couple of months back that they needed to get a pick at the end of the first round plus have access to 2 state league players.
    This is so that they can send good mates Rowell and Anderson to the Suns with the hopes that they stay
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll buck the trend here and say it's a reasonable decision. I suggested a couple of months back that they needed to get a pick at the end of the first round plus have access to 2 state league players.
    This is so that they can send good mates Rowell and Anderson to the Suns with the hopes that they stay
    I just don't think it will make a difference. Adding two more young prospects to the squad isn't going to mitigate or treat the underlying problems they have.
    I note Lukosious and King have not re-signed, beyond next year. What will the AFL do in 12 months when they leave? Compromise the 2020 draft as well by giving them another two top picks?

I get that we can't let them wither on the vine, but if I'm the AFL I'm wanting to do things that enable GC to:
    1. Be more competitive in the short term - maybe provide incentives to clubs who trade experienced players that GC are interested in. Eg extra cap relief concessions or additional discounts to Academy Players.
    2. Address longer term issues - additional investment funds for player development, talent identification within Qld zone.

Gifting them Rowell and Anderson will not make them significantly better in the short term, doesn't ensure they don't do like most of their other high draft picks and leave when their contract comes up.
    But what it does do is devalue trades clubs did last year involving 2019 picks. And I wonder if it makes clubs think hard as to whether they trade 2020 picks during this trade period. Maybe clubs might have extra concern as to whether the AFL might do the same next year as well if GC flounder again.

6. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I just don't think it will make a difference. Adding two more young prospects to the squad isn't going to mitigate or treat the underlying problems they have.
    I note Lukosious and King have not re-signed, beyond next year. What will the AFL do in 12 months when they leave? Compromise the 2020 draft as well by giving them another two top picks?

I get that we can't let them wither on the vine, but if I'm the AFL I'm wanting to do things that enable GC to:
    1. Be more competitive in the short term - maybe provide incentives to clubs who trade experienced players that GC are interested in. Eg extra cap relief concessions or additional discounts to Academy Players.
    2. Address longer term issues - additional investment funds for player development, talent identification within Qld zone.

Gifting them Rowell and Anderson will not make them significantly better in the short term, doesn't ensure they don't do like most of their other high draft picks and leave when their contract comes up.
    But what it does do is devalue trades clubs did last year involving 2019 picks. And I wonder if it makes clubs think hard as to whether they trade 2020 picks during this trade period. Maybe clubs might have extra concern as to whether the AFL might do the same next year as well if GC flounder again.
    It has to be part of a broader range of incentives and initiatives to get them set-up properly
    They need development coaches, additional salary cap and access to mature state league players for a period of time to get them into a stronger position.

I'll be the first to agree that giving them early picks hasn't worked but I'd rather the AFL do something that gives them the chance to set-up properly now and it's a reasonable suggestion (not perfect) to give then the first two picks this year.

They have made some huge errors that include FIFO coach, a list manager who seemed to get a lot wrong and being under resourced in the footy department but when I look at Brisbane it's easy to see that things can change quickly when you get the admin part right at a club.

Rowell and Anderson are great mates it would be a huge bonus for the Suns to get them both up there

Post Thanks / Like

No issue with it.

The more talent they can get up there the better chance they have of retaining it in my mind - players who can grow together and see an improving environment seem more likely to recommit.

Also sucked in Melbourne, you don’t get a top 2 pick!

Post Thanks / Like

I put up the idea of them being the Northern Australia Suns. Since we had that discussion (& I accept the issues previously raised), they've double downed on Cairns, expanded their work on partnering with the NT government with a scope for the Darwin & Alice games and if so partnered, will seek Darwin as an NGA which is a gold mine and will get it from the AFEL.

I like the way they are going about working with the NT government and northern Australia generally. But before they can get enough traction and buy in, they need to retain their players, get their salary cap in order and develop the talent they have. If this rolled gold handout is about moving to a more sustainable future without AFEL life support then I am for it. But if Lukusios & King leave next year, and it's another 18th finish then we need to have a different conversation about whether GCS can exist, or an agrresive Northern Australia pitch has to be made with the main player retention coming from future NT & FNQ players plus their underperforming but talented list.

We got bonus picks used on Farren Ray & Tom Williams back in the day when priority picks were top of first round too. But I hope this is the extent of extra support. Nearly all teams on the GC have failed. They need to turn it around and move in on the NT with some success over the next few years. Or fast track it in a new club backed by the NT government and supported with a very strong Darwin NGA. I just don't see how long this broken experiment can last. One way or another I hope it turns around quick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No problem with this at all. Added bonus Melbourne miss out on one of the clear standout mids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    No issue with it.

The more talent they can get up there the better chance they have of retaining it in my mind - players who can grow together and see an improving environment seem more likely to recommit.

Also sucked in Melbourne, you don’t get a top 2 pick!
    Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    No problem with this at all. Added bonus Melbourne miss out on one of the clear standout mids
    I'd argue that they still need to do a lot more. Pre listing 2 players from the state league competitions should be granted as well

I also like how you both want to see Melbourne punished a bit more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry, stinks. They have had their chances with upteen first rounders. When does it stop.
    Agreed. They tried, they failed. Close them down, make 17 other teams stronger with their players and staff (if suited). Blind Freddy can see it's not going to work.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I think the program of assistance needs to go further. In the late 80's and 1990's, the Sydney Swans were a basket case. They were in effect in all but name, taken back under the control of the AFL. The AFL appointed Barassi as coach with a couple of prety good assistants (Rocket Eade) and helped lure some big names up to Sydney (Locket, Roos). The Sydney we see today, was born from the incubation that the AFL gave it.

If something similar is not done with the SUNS they too will fail and it will be an unnecessary fail. The Suns should be given 2 top draft picks; salary cap relief to chase some marquee players; and the ability to recruit one or two good citizen players (ie like a Luke Hodge). I appreciate that this tilts the balance in their favour quite a bit, but this should only be given with some control.

Firstly at the Administration level there should be a majority of AFL reps on the Board of the Suns; There should be an AFL involvement in any decision on how to deploy the priority pick (ie trading 1st 2 picks for Tex Walker is a no; recruiting the 2 kids is a yes); Assistance in getting the right marquee free agents to a club should be a priority. Target guys like a Lachie Neale or a Selwood or a Grundy or Nat Fyfe - guys you know will perform regardless and can carry players along with them.

In terms of a good citizen's this is a little tougher. But you want guys that are going to bring both experience in winning and experience in a good culture. These are guys who have largely done it all with their current club and are 1 to 3 years away from retiring. I would be looking South to Sydney Swans or the Tigers and seeing if I could entice some of their leaders up North.

Just throwing picks at the problem wont work.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lions had a higher salary cap for a while didn’t they? Do the Suns now?

I agree getting more kids isn’t going to help. They need to build a club founded on a strong culture, which I’m not sure kids will be able to build.

If all they’re doing is giving them another high draft pick, I’d say not much will be different 5 years from now.

Post Thanks / Like

How about getting rid of the people who are in charge and put some in place who get the players to WANT to stay.

If they lose Jack Martin (to Melbourne) and Cal Ah Chee (to Brisbane) that is a disgrace. They are both top 10 draft picks and both from WA. This isn't the go-home factor...this is the 'Anywhere but here' factor.

I am looking squarely at the CEO. Continually saying it is hard to make it work on the GC is a cop out/crutch for those in charge. All it means to me is there should be a long list of 'what not to do'. So don't do that stuff.

Honestly, being in the cut and thrust of 'the game' has appeal to some players. For others, the idea of earning good coin to live 'off broadway' is VERY attractive...and wanting to be out of the spotlight does not mean that they aren't ferocious competitors.

Facilities are good now. Players really do care about that. Being up there, warm weather...it would hold a lot of appeal to the RIGHT player. Recruit those players. I know the two metro kids are going 1-2 but that seems like a really crap idea to me...they are going to want to move back to Melbourne and will have 9x clubs to choose from. Find some country boys - regional Vic, SA, WA - and get them. Select ones who haven't grown up sitting in the crowd with 99000 others and dreamed of playing 'there'...find the ones who dreamed of playing a league game for their local club and playing in a local premiership.

Talent isn't the answer. They have talent. They need happy players who are prepared to grind away. They need to find their version of Michael Voss, their version of Jonathon Brown...the Giants found them in Coniglio and Cameron. Who have the Suns found? Touk Miller I guess...but he is a foot soldier.

I think the continual commentary around how 'hard' it is to become a success on the GC is not helping. There will be players who simply DREAM of playing...pick them. Spend every spare cent on player development, max out the soft cap with a top notch medical team and equipment no-one else has...the sort of gear that will convince the NEXT 'Luke Hodge' candidate that the GC is the place to continue earning $500K per year for an EXTRA couple of years (this means a lot to players...look at the players pushing for 7 year deals now!)...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How about getting rid of the people who are in charge and put some in place who get the players to WANT to stay.

If they lose Jack Martin (to Melbourne) and Cal Ah Chee (to Brisbane) that is a disgrace. They are both top 10 draft picks and both from WA. This isn't the go-home factor...this is the 'Anywhere but here' factor.

I am looking squarely at the CEO. Continually saying it is hard to make it work on the GC is a cop out/crutch for those in charge. All it means to me is there should be a long list of 'what not to do'. So don't do that stuff.

Honestly, being in the cut and thrust of 'the game' has appeal to some players. For others, the idea of earning good coin to live 'off broadway' is VERY attractive...and wanting to be out of the spotlight does not mean that they aren't ferocious competitors.

Facilities are good now. Players really do care about that. Being up there, warm weather...it would hold a lot of appeal to the RIGHT player. Recruit those players. I know the two metro kids are going 1-2 but that seems like a really crap idea to me...they are going to want to move back to Melbourne and will have 9x clubs to choose from. Find some country boys - regional Vic, SA, WA - and get them. Select ones who haven't grown up sitting in the crowd with 99000 others and dreamed of playing 'there'...find the ones who dreamed of playing a league game for their local club and playing in a local premiership.

Talent isn't the answer. They have talent. They need happy players who are prepared to grind away. They need to find their version of Michael Voss, their version of Jonathon Brown...the Giants found them in Coniglio and Cameron. Who have the Suns found? Touk Miller I guess...but he is a foot soldier.

I think the continual commentary around how 'hard' it is to become a success on the GC is not helping. There will be players who simply DREAM of playing...pick them. Spend every spare cent on player development, max out the soft cap with a top notch medical team and equipment no-one else has...the sort of gear that will convince the NEXT 'Luke Hodge' candidate that the GC is the place to continue earning $500K per year for an EXTRA couple of years (this means a lot to players...look at the players pushing for 7 year deals now!)...
    Yep, kids are very easy to convince that it's all too hard and they may as well not bother. Just go though the motions and you'll be right.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The Suns will fail because sports teams in the Gold Coast always fail. It's just arrogance that keeps the AFL pouring in money and extra players.
    You can make the team win but you cant make "fans" attend.

18. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post