Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  153
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other club trade talk

At this stage literally anything's preferable than making Windy Hole your chosen home. Even if you're the highly touted son of a gun.

Father-son prospect quits footy to pursue NFL punting career

Weren't we just treated to a slew of feelgood puff pieces on this bloke?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I think highly touted is pushing it. Essendon didn't nominate him as a father son last year or this, probably knew he wasn't getting drafted, has chosen to try something else.

3. Likes mjp, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    I think highly touted is pushing it. Essendon didn't nominate him as a father son last year or this, probably knew he wasn't getting drafted, has chosen to try something else.
    Don't spoil the narrative!
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I don't often agree with whispy Watson but he's right to be careful with St Kilda's recruiting.

Tim Watson believes the jury is out on St Kilda’s dealings during the trade period.

After a forgettable 2019 season, the Saints went about rejuvenating their list by securing five recruits as they look to climb the ladder next year under new full-time coach Brett Ratten.

Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zak Jones and Dan Butler all landed at Moorabbin with Josh Bruce and Jack Steven finding new homes at the Western Bulldogs and Geelong respectively.

“Everybody has been waxing lyrically about how well St Kilda did in the trade period,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“Brad Hill finished third in Freo’s best and fairest. Dougal Howard … didn’t finish anywhere, Paddy Ryder … didn’t finish anywhere, Dan Butler … didn’t finish anywhere, (Zak) Jones … didn’t finish in the top 10.

“We have all jumped on board. It surprised me that none of these guys had finished better. I know Butler didn’t play a lot this year, Jones I thought would have been a top 10 player for Sydney … we knew that Dougal Howard finished the year playing in the twos.

“Maybe we just need to pull back a little bit on how well they have recruited.”

St Kilda is aiming for 50,000 members in 2020 on the back of their heavy recruitment drive.

The Saints last played finals football in 2011.

from https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/11/...a-recruitment/
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Ooof

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I don't often agree with whispy Watson but he's right to be careful with St Kilda's recruiting.

Tim Watson believes the jury is out on St Kilda’s dealings during the trade period.

After a forgettable 2019 season, the Saints went about rejuvenating their list by securing five recruits as they look to climb the ladder next year under new full-time coach Brett Ratten.

Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zak Jones and Dan Butler all landed at Moorabbin with Josh Bruce and Jack Steven finding new homes at the Western Bulldogs and Geelong respectively.

“Everybody has been waxing lyrically about how well St Kilda did in the trade period,” Watson told SEN Breakfast.

“Brad Hill finished third in Freo’s best and fairest. Dougal Howard … didn’t finish anywhere, Paddy Ryder … didn’t finish anywhere, Dan Butler … didn’t finish anywhere, (Zak) Jones … didn’t finish in the top 10.

“We have all jumped on board. It surprised me that none of these guys had finished better. I know Butler didn’t play a lot this year, Jones I thought would have been a top 10 player for Sydney … we knew that Dougal Howard finished the year playing in the twos.

“Maybe we just need to pull back a little bit on how well they have recruited.”

St Kilda is aiming for 50,000 members in 2020 on the back of their heavy recruitment drive.

Hill is the best wing in the comp for mine, but it's a massive price to pay.
    Howard is a good get, gives them a KPD for 8+ years.

Zac Jones is no upgrade on Newnes for mine, both have questionable disposal at pace.
    Marshall is pure quality, not sure Ryder is a help or hindrance.
    Butler has gone backwards at a rate of knots and he'd want Gresham and Billings to spend time in the middle otherwise he just doesn't play.

I prefer our trade period - two clear positions of need, and we keep our first rounder.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Port and Bris have made a pick swap today

Port give up 2020 Rd 1, 29, 71 to Brisbane for 16, 52, 55, 72.

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty good for both teams.

Bris: 21, 29, 34, 48 and a future first (2 X 1sts and 2 X 3rds next year)
    Port: 12, 16, 18 & hoping Mead after. A quick glance, if Mead slides to Pick 21, they've got enough points after the discount. 4 picks inside 21 is very handy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting trade by both clubs, perhaps there is more to come
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Looks pretty good for both teams.

Bris: 21, 29, 34, 48 and a future first (2 X 1sts and 2 X 3rds next year)
    Port: 12, 16, 18 & hoping Mead after. A quick glance, if Mead slides to Pick 21, they've got enough points after the discount. 4 picks inside 21 is very handy.
    Looks like Port are rebuilding. Adding this group together with Rozee, Butters & Duursma from last year is a solid core to build on for the future. It's a complete about face in terms of their recruiting stretegy of a couple of years ago when they went for senior experience.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Looks like Port are rebuilding. Adding this group together with Rozee, Butters & Duursma from last year is a solid core to build on for the future. It's a complete about face in terms of their recruiting stretegy of a couple of years ago when they went for senior experience.
    Better late than never I guess.

Breaking it down to DVI (assuming Port finish the same spot as this year):

Port get 16 & 38 (But get Mead cheaply additionally)
    Bris get 10 & 29 (Patience should win the days for them as well)

This seems to me to think Brisbane think Port will stay the same and probably fall down the ladder. While Port must think they won't fall down the ladder in a meaningful way. It's an interesting bet.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

According to the betting markets Port are rated at about 15th or 16th in line for the flag next year. If Brisbane end up with a top 5 pick they will be massive winners.

Post Thanks / Like

Would we consider our first for Brisbane’s 21 & 29?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Would we consider our first for Brisbane’s 21 & 29?
    Pick 13 & Matched bids Greene, Henry & Macguinness = Pick 16 or 16th in the talent order.
    Picks 21 & 29 & Matched bids Greene, Henry, Macguinness & Mead = Picks 25 & 33 or 25th & 33rd in the talent order.

So it's 16th in the talent order, for, 25th & 33rd. I'm not keen. We'd have to trade out Pick 53 for whatever we can it or it gets burned on upgrading La Young with just the three list vacancies. I'm happy where we are. There's several good players still available at our first pick. Any offer should be 'too good to refuse' is the way I feel about the players we could draft early. Sam fought Adelaide & St Kilda hard to keep it, we should use it.

17. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Pick 13 & Matched bids Greene, Henry & Macguinness = Pick 16 or 16th in the talent order.
    Picks 21 & 29 & Matched bids Greene, Henry, Macguinness & Mead = Picks 25 & 33 or 25th & 33rd in the talent order.

So it's 16th in the talent order, for, 25th & 33rd. I'm not keen. We'd have to trade out Pick 53 for whatever we can it or it gets burned on upgrading La Young with just the three list vacancies. I'm happy where we are. There's several good players still available at our first pick. Any offer should be 'too good to refuse' is the way I feel about the players we could draft early. Sam fought Adelaide & St Kilda hard to keep it, we should use it.
    Maguinness shouldn't effect our pick 13 according to this article about the Hawks trying to obtain an additional first round pick:

The intention to find another first-round pick nonetheless signals that the Hawks don't forecast a bid on father-son Finn Maginness to come until, at the earliest, late in the first round and potentially early in the second round next week.

Maginness, a midfielder who shone at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine, isn't among the 16 players invited to attend the opening night of the draft.

Rivals believe a bid may not come until early in the second round for the 18-year-old, with which Hawthorn would be able to match the bid with its next selection/s (it also holds No.30, 42 and 54).

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post