Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  153
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other club trade talk

So after all the work GWS did to get their first pick ahead of Sydney's pick 5, Sydney have basically come out and said they won't be bidding for Green anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    So after all the work GWS did to get their first pick ahead of Sydney's pick 5, Sydney have basically come out and said they won't be bidding for Green anyway.
    Damn.

Twomey on the money again though when he put pick 10 on Green's head yesterday.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Im fine with us not doing much with the draft this year, as long as we're saving picks for Ugle-Hagan next year, that's all I care about.
    So the paper today stating that he will he the next Buddy Franklin. I’m not sure who is more excited you , me or Luke Beverage
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? Did they keep a straight face when they asked the AFL this?

Geelong requested money outside salary cap to help Tim Kelly and his family in bid to keep him

Geelong went to extraordinary lengths in a bid to keep Tim Kelly, including asking the AFL for money outside its salary cap to assist the star midfielder and his young family.

After a year of speculation, Kelly eventually requested a move to, and landed at West Coast during last month’s trade period to be closer to family in Western Australia.

The Cats were so desperate to keep the silky onballer it was willing to do whatever it took to keep him, including paying for members of his family to move to Geelong.

The club lobbied to the AFL to be given assistance outside the salary cap to help make Kelly and his family feel more comfortable and supported off the field.

“I think we did,” Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said when asked whether the club did all it could to retain him.

“One of the issues for us is that to do what we needed to do to make sure it was as comfortable as possible for the Kelly family was near impossible in the end because it would have needed the parents to come over, all sorts of assistance around the home, all of those things.

“We helped in those areas but we weren’t — we went to the AFL and asked for some extra help in terms of money outside the TPP (Total Player Payments) because these things cost money.

“The AFL knocked us back.

“So it made it really hard for us to do to the 100 per cent that we wanted to help him. We nearly got there but we couldn’t.”

Geelong received top dollar from West Coast in the trade for Kelly, landing picks 14, 24, 37 and a future first-round pick.

It gives the Cats their strongest hand at the draft in almost two decades.

But the benefits of the trade are far greater, Cook says, and will be felt by the rest of the competition despite Kelly’s arrival at the Eagles handing them one of the game’s most powerful midfields.

“I thought it was a win-win-win. Win for us, win for Kelly and win for the West Coast Eagles,” Cook told SEN.

“The fact they’ve got to put some large amount of money into their TPP that wasn’t there last year, which means their (salary cap) is being squeezed, helps us too I think and a lot of other clubs.”

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Geelong. They get nothing from the AFEL, local council, State Government and Federal Government...

Talk about entitlement mentality.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Poor Geelong. They get nothing from the AFEL, local council, State Government and Federal Government...

It goes with the inbreeding. And the buck teeth, red hair and braces that the typical Geelong supporter wears.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I agree with the sentiment about Geelong, maybe ask how West Coast ARE able to do all the things that Geelong were unable to do...

In times yet to come, there is going to be some kind of allowance for this stuff...some clubs are battling with it, others working around it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment about Geelong, maybe ask how West Coast ARE able to do all the things that Geelong were unable to do...

In times yet to come, there is going to be some kind of allowance for this stuff...some clubs are battling with it, others working around it.
    Surprised Kelly wasn't promoted to Vice President of Ambassadorial Services with Cotton On in order to keep him at Geelong.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong benefit from the 'go home' factor more than any other Victorian club - Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Rohan ring any bells?

It's not like West Coast don't lose players as well (Sinclair, Lycett, and the biggest fish in recent memory - Judd).

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah screw Geelong. They are the most entitled of all the Victorian clubs, they really are becoming tiresome.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least Geelong tried to be above table as absurd as their claim was. I don't trust Essendon, Carlton or others with their under the table deals.

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    At least Geelong tried to be above table as absurd as their claim was. I don't trust Essendon, Carlton or others with their under the table deals.
    I strongly hope that Essendon and Carlton keep doing whatever they are doing.

18. Likes Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post