Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  153
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other club trade talk

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think he is going OK. Pies had to up the offer last time because there was a competing offer from (I wanna say Brisbane) worth a lot more $.

Biggest issue with Cox is that he is nearing 30 years old. I think he has some attributes as a second tall in a good side because he can take a turn in the ruck...pretty sure the Pies would have played him in the finals this year and am pretty confident it would have balanced up their front half vs the Giants.

Why would Essendon do it though? I know we all hate them but their list build in terms of replacing players in that 23-27 year group (many of whom they lost through their own doing - aka the drugs scandal) has been going OK. Kelly wants to go home but Geelong is OK whereas Fantasia wants to go home = Essendon is toxic? I think that is pretty harsh.

I'm not sure they would do the Stringer thing again - certainly not on the $ they gave him - but that was a club being opportunistic and grabbing an elite talent (undeniable) who surprisingly dropped onto the market place...As for Shiel, well, not too many people were critical of the 'race to sign' him that went on last year and he had a reasonable season. He was never Adam Treloar but they only paid half the price that Collingwood paid...and the 'Pies had an actual ruckman (the Bellchambers and Draper injuries killed Essendon's season) + other tier one mids in Pendlebury and Sidebottom already in place...who did Essendon have? Parish is a foot soldier, Heppell is a foot soldier...Merrett is pretty good though and McGrath is an excellent small defender but no-one seems happy with letting him play that role.

I don't know. If Hogan was worth a top 10 pick + a second rounder then so is Daniher. If the Bombers get more than that, well, good luck to them (it doesn't hurt to ask).
    This is a really well balanced, considered post. Mods: may I suggest a life ban for MJP, this is Essendon after all

I think Cox was originally on super huge coin outside of the cap (category B). I am guessing his contract isn’t quite what it was (has been front loaded in a round about way) but I think you are right that interest came from elsewhere that forced their hand to give him more than maybe they would have.

This was absolutely an attempted salary dump. The question is, who did they have in mind to replace him? I think DeGoey and Mihocek need a tall around them and Ben Reid’s body is a bet you don’t want to go all in on. I feel like they have an iron in the fire. Josh “Moneyball” Jenkins?

There are a few rumours that if Dhead policies had an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade style booby trapped series of tests, Fantasia would now be missing his head. Obviously you take these things with a grain of salt, but churning through three managers does raise an eyebrow.

On the surface the media are sounding alarm bells if Essington lose Fantasia and Daniher, but one has chewed a whole bunch of cap space (almost) without taking the field in two years and the other misfired and underperformed most of the year (11 disposals and 1.3 goals a game is not really elite) and *allegedly* is the type of character you don’t mind moving on. *Stringer irony noted*

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Butler off to Carlton or St Kilda.

Sam Gray's intentions quiet. He was linked to both the above, but I'm assuming not going to either if they're chasing others.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Telstra AFL Trade Radio
    @traderadio
    Sam McClure: Craig Cameron and Stephen Silvagni are very bullish. There's potentially a concern with getting Jack Martin to the Blues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Telstra AFL Trade Radio
    @traderadio
    Sam McClure: Craig Cameron and Stephen Silvagni are very bullish. There's potentially a concern with getting Jack Martin to the Blues.
    Would you go back to Martin and his manger (and GCS)?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The Age reporting possible ruck insurance for many clubs, Tom Nicholls from GCS will retire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As Sam said Bruce and Keath are our priorities and then after those 2 are locked away who knows BT.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to work on other trades when we know Bruce and Keath are likely to be done at the 11th hour.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hard to work on other trades when we know Bruce and Keath are likely to be done at the 11th hour.
    Time will tell I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. GCS would want pick 13.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Howard has nominated St.Kilda.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Howard has nominated St.Kilda.
    So that's Howard, Hill, Jones and Ryder with very little draft-pick currency in the bank. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    So that's Howard, Hill, Jones and Ryder with very little draft-pick currency in the bank. Good luck.
    Hopefully it accelerates the Bruce trade they've got some work to do.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the bloke with the most flushable head in footy here, Martin to Blues is heavily predicated on Eddie Betts to Blues first because there's a strong sense of kinship there.

With us on record as saying we want to lure indigenous talent why on earth haven't we spoken to both in those terms?

Lets say Betts plays 12-15 games next year on his farewell tour before transitioning into Brett Goodes' old role - and don't tell me Eddie wouldn't be an extremely effective advocate for more indigenous talent down the line - while Martin joins the fold and blossoms under Eddie's mentorship, as does Ugle-Hagan, and hopefully many many more talented mob.

It seems a ready made panacea for one of our key stated aims.

And besides who REALLY wants to go Caaaaarl'n?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Likes Raw Toast, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    According to the bloke with the most flushable head in footy here, Martin to Blues is heavily predicated on Eddie Betts to Blues first because there's a strong sense of kinship there.

With us on record as saying we want to lure indigenous talent why on earth haven't we spoken to both in those terms?

Lets say Betts plays 12-15 games next year on his farewell tour before transitioning into Brett Goodes' old role - and don't tell me Eddie wouldn't be an extremely effective advocate for more indigenous talent down the line - while Martin joins the fold and blossoms under Eddie's mentorship, as does Ugle-Hagan, and hopefully many many more talented mob.

It seems a ready made panacea for one of our key stated aims.

And besides who REALLY wants to go Caaaaarl'n?
    It’s a good idea but I can’t see Eddie being remotely interested in the dogs with the relationships and history he has at Optus Oval. Surely we’d need to pay huge overs for his playing services then run the risk of him moving for an after footy role back to the blues.

He would be a fantastic indigenous ambassador.

Post Thanks / Like

Cox's manager confirms "conversations" between Bombers and Pies took place
    Cox didn't even know as he tweeted - Fake News.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post