Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  49
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020: Round 1 Team

Lew Young hasn’t played a minute of defence all pre-season. Almost no chance of him playing back, IMO.

Looks like Bevo is committed to Cordy.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Looks about right BT but should Trengove be selected to play against Cox?
    I'm weighing up Lew Young or JT. With Keath only one can play. I'm also firming that only one of Cordy or Wood can play with the KPDs too. Today I'm going with Keath, Young & Wood. I think Young's athletic abilities and bigger leap might be better suited for the job. More than anything I hope the coaches see it something like I do, I don't think today's group of Keath, Cordy & Wood will do the job most weeks if we allow easy entries.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Given Le Young didn't play a minute in defence I highly doubt he gets the gig there.

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
    Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility?

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise. Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

B: Williams, Cordy, Wood
    HB: Crozier, Keath, JJ
    C: Hunter, Dunkley, R. Smith
    HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd
    FF: Wallis, Bruce, Dale

Foll: English, Bontempelli, Macrae

Bench: Daniel, Suckling, Lipinski, McLean
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lew Young hasn’t played a minute of defence all pre-season. Almost no chance of him playing back, IMO.

Looks like Bevo is committed to Cordy.
    Are you sure about that? I thought he has been training as a defender and was only thrown forward when Bruce didn't play against North and with Naughton's set back.
    With Keaths arrival having two 197cm defenders who's best skills are as intercept players I think opened the door his his move forward after the injuries to Bruce and Naughton.
    The fact that he played as a forward before he was drafted and is an accurate kick means he is a very good option for us. Handy in the ruck as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not taking too much into yesterday’s game as in the last qtr I think it became bruise free footy just up One wing and down the other.
    Our first three qtrs were still a little soft in my eyes.
    Let the season begin and the real toughness starts.
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Given Le Young didn't play a minute in defence I highly doubt he gets the gig there.

Last year we played 7 defenders and rolled one through the interchange.

Cordy and Keath are locked in as the two talls, Crozier an absolute lock, and I'd say JJ is immovable.
    Wood and Williams are going to play based on the pre-season, which leaves Daniel as that bench player - Suckling becomes a full time utility?

English, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley pick themseves as first centre rotation. Hunter on one wing. God knows on the other - Suckling gave the occsional chop out but he's on my bench. Roarke Smith as the round 1 surprise. Lipinski as the bench-midfielder who can go forward if needed.

The forwardline is a dog's breakfast. Bruce is a lock, Lloyd is a lock, and nobody else. Wallis is probably third (playing deep) and the MC love Dale. With Naughton injured, it's out of Schache or Young to take that last spot and both look hesitant in aspects of the game (Schache in the air, Young with the ball in hand). I'll go with a surprise and name Young as he is a reasoonable ruck chop-out.

Bailey Smith starts high and rotates in the midfield, which leaves just one bench spot for a forward. Dickson and Naughton I assume miss which leaves McLean in by the skin of his teeth (Ed Richards playing VFL + concussion means he misses out).

That's the 22 by deduction at this stage, and I'm not sure I like it.

HF: B. Smith, Le Young, S. Lloyd

The players most in doubt to me off this list are:
    Cordy, R.Smith and McLean but finding players that are likely replacements isn't as easy
    I think Schache is the most likely to play, we might throw Weightman a chance and Richards just needs to show he is right and he will be given consideration. Trengove is a proven performer but might be coming from a long way back

It's a shame we didn't trial Lachie Young as he is probably a better 3rd tall defensive option than most

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure about that? I thought he has been training as a defender and was only thrown forward when Bruce didn't play against North and with Naughton's set back.
    With Keaths arrival having two 197cm defenders who's best skills are as intercept players I think opened the door his his move forward after the injuries to Bruce and Naughton.
    The fact that he played as a forward before he was drafted and is an accurate kick means he is a very good option for us. Handy in the ruck as well
    I'm sure he didn't play any defence during the Marsh Cup games. Marsh 2 is a dress rehearsal for round 1, and Young was forward/ruck the whole time
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure he didn't play any defence during the Marsh Cup games. Marsh 2 is a dress rehearsal for round 1, and Young was forward/ruck the whole time
    I'm not disputing that, he got his chance in M1 when Bruce wasn't available and then was used forward yesterday for a half but I don't believe his preseason focus was as a forward.
    Last year before the game in Ballarat Bevo decided to move Naughton forward (to great effect) and I suspect Young has just made that move a game earlier this year but I do think he trained as a defender through the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering if it's us conceeding Naughton won't be right for R1.

Tough ask for Lew Young but he has the talent to contribute. Interesting year for him though, Keaths arrival may stifle his development as a KD given they like to play similar (ditto Wood, Williams). Too many intercept players.

For mine, R Smith shouldn't be in discussion. A couple of nice moments yesterday sure, but enough to play R1? Absolutely not. Hayes has improved but didn't appear to get a lot of game time.

Suckling should be our other winger.

Wondering where McLean fits in - probably finds a spot on the bench at the least but his form his concerning.

Post Thanks / Like

HF: B. Smith, Naughty, S. Lloyd

I think if Naughton is fit this will be close to the team Bevo picks. Possible ins to replace McLean could be West, Weightman or Cavarra. According to that VFL report Billy Gowers was close to best. The VFL plays again so will be interesting. Would like Lewis Young in but Bevo seems a big fan of Cordy. Trengove completely out of favour. No other challengers for Roarke Smith's position on wing either. Bevo even mentioned him in presser too. He did his chances no harm yesterday. Schache had a stinker.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right. Lew Young was thrown forward at the last minute when Naughton had a scare in the warm up and we didn't have anyone else over 6 foot.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame we didn't trial Lachie Young as he is probably a better 3rd tall defensive option than most
    At 189 cm, I don't think he is a tall 3rd defensive option
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At 189 cm, I don't think he is a tall 3rd defensive option
    Who's a better option on our list though? Lachlan Yong was pitted against taller and smaller opponents in the intra club game and aquitted himself well. There is a chance you place too much of an emphasis on the players height more than their ability

Post Thanks / Like

Who's a better option on our list though? Lachlan Yong was pitted against taller and smaller opponents in the intra club game and aquitted himself well. There is a chance you place too much of an emphasis on the players height more than their ability
    Over the years I have seen at the Bulldogs undersized players up against talls, and they struggle. A good example is Dale Morris in the 2008 qualifying final where Buddy kicked 8. Has happened too often over the years.

Lachie is going to be a good player, but lets match him up with the right players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Over the years I have seen at the Bulldogs undersized players up against talls, and they struggle. A good example is Dale Morris in the 2008 qualifying final where Buddy kicked 8. Has happened too often over the years.

Lachie is going to be a good player, but lets match him up with the right players.
    So this brings up a couple of questions
    Who do you suggest plays as the 3rd tall defender?
    Did you voice concerns with our interest in the 192cm Hurley as KPP?