Re: 2020: Round 1 Team

Backs: Taylor Duryea - Jackson Trengove - Hayden Crozier
    HBacks: Jason Johannisen - Alex Keath - Matthew Suckling
    Centers: Bailey Smith - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter
    HForwards: Sam Lloyd - Josh Bruce - Ed Richards
    Forwards: Toby McLean - Aaron Naughton - Bailey Dale
    Rucks: Tim English - Josh Dunkley - Jackson Macrae
    Interchange: Patrick Lipinski, Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

Emergencies: Josh Schache, Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Mitch Wallis, Lewis Young

And still some very good players not on the list above
    Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young

Outside of a bit of physicality and potentially lacking a bit of grunt it's hard to find a creative reason we can use as a genuine excuse
    Injuries to a a couple of KP players or a ruck man could be a challenge but the club feels they have it covered
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    HBacks: Jason Johannisen - Alex Keath - Matthew Suckling
    Centers: Bailey Smith - Marcus Bontempelli - Lachie Hunter
    HForwards: Sam Lloyd - Josh Bruce - Ed Richards
    Forwards: Toby McLean - Aaron Naughton - Bailey Dale
    Rucks: Tim English - Josh Dunkley - Jackson Macrae
    Interchange: Patrick Lipinski, Easton Wood, Tom Liberatore, Caleb Daniel

Emergencies: Josh Schache, Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Mitch Wallis, Lewis Young

And still some very good players not on the list above
    Tory Dickson, Billy Gowers, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young

Outside of a bit of physicality and potentially lacking a bit of grunt it's hard to find a creative reason we can use as a genuine excuse
    Injuries to a a couple of KP players or a ruck man could be a challenge but the club feels they have it covered
    If any top 8 team loses their preferred ruck, they’ll struggle. Most clubs don’t have much depth beyond their #1.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If any top 8 team loses their preferred ruck, they’ll struggle. Most clubs don’t have much depth beyond their #1.
    So no real excuse if any of them lose a ruckman?

West Coast were able to cover Nic Nat without needing to throw Kennedy into the ruck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I thought about this - but in every situation where the MC has had to choose between Cordy and Trengove they have selected Cordy.

What do you think has changed?

I wanted to select Young ahead of both of them but if I did that then I couldn't see how Wood could play (assuming that Keath also plays) and I just could imagine those circumstances in R#1!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I thought about this - but in every situation where the MC has had to choose between Cordy and Trengove they have selected Cordy.

I wanted to select Young ahead of both of them but if I did that then I couldn't see how Wood could play (assuming that Keath also plays) and I just could imagine those circumstances in R#1!
    Yeah I want Lewis Young to get in ahead of Zaine or JT but I am not sure it would fit the balance of the backline. Ironically, the stronger the team gets, the 'easier' it will be to pick Young I think. Also, if Keath demonstrates the ability to also lock down a dangerous tall (or if Lewis really develops there).

I do not want us throwing Keath straight to the best tall/expecting him to do it both defensively and as a intercept mark. I hope he can get a bit of early momentum as really strikes me as a confidence player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I'm not selecting the side on how I think the MC might have then just how I would like them to start the season with
    It's either Cordy or Trengove as that one-on-one defender and given Cordy's 2019 form perhaps Trengove is ahead of him but I do like Cordy. One or even both of them has to play to balance the side. Young is close to the mark as well but he's another intercepting defender and might have both Keath and Wood ahead of him

Could we play Keath, Young and Wood as the 3 taller (intercept type) defenders and get away with it against teams with a strong forward set-up? I'm not so sure but there is a fair chance that's how the MC will start the season

Post Thanks / Like

Should Cordy even be in consideration?

He's an undersized defender who is terrible in one in ones, doesn't get involved offensively because he's ordinary by foot and he's an average athlete.

Gets by on determination and courage but not sure that keeps him in our best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    This Dogs team was extremely tough to pick, and some established names missed the cut. Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove and Zaine Cordy could all fit into the 22, along with Bailey Williams, Lin Jong and Billy Gowers. Gun recruit Alex Keath slots into the key back role with Easton Wood, allowing Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier to play tall and attack from the deck. Aaron Naughton can swing into defence if needed, which allows for a more mobile forward line. The bench is full of speed and versatility, something the 2020 Bulldogs will be reliant on. – Adam Curley

B: Taylor Duryea, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
    C: Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Dale
    F: Josh Schache, Josh Bruce, Tory Dickson
    Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith
    I/C: Tom Liberatore, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean

DEPTH
    Defenders: Louis Butler, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis, Bradley Lynch, Roarke Smith, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Laitham Vandermeer
    Midfielders: Riley Garcia, Will Hayes, Lin Jong, Callum Porter, Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Rhylee West
    Forwards: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Cody Weightman
    Rucks: Jordon Sweet, Jackson Trengove

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Should Cordy even be in consideration?

He's an undersized defender who is terrible in one in ones, doesn't get involved offensively because he's ordinary by foot and he's an average athlete.

Gets by on determination and courage but not sure that keeps him in our best 22.
    He was our best KPD in our final last year. MC seem to see his grunt as a big positive. He was our sole KPD for a few weeks last year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    This Dogs team was extremely tough to pick, and some established names missed the cut. Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Jackson Trengove and Zaine Cordy could all fit into the 22, along with Bailey Williams, Lin Jong and Billy Gowers. Gun recruit Alex Keath slots into the key back role with Easton Wood, allowing Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier to play tall and attack from the deck. Aaron Naughton can swing into defence if needed, which allows for a more mobile forward line. The bench is full of speed and versatility, something the 2020 Bulldogs will be reliant on. – Adam Curley

B: Taylor Duryea, Easton Wood, Jason Johannisen
    HB: Hayden Crozier, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
    C: Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Dale
    F: Josh Schache, Josh Bruce, Tory Dickson
    Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Smith
    I/C: Tom Liberatore, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean

DEPTH
    Defenders: Louis Butler, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner, Buku Khamis, Bradley Lynch, Roarke Smith, Bailey Williams, Lachie Young, Lewis Young, Laitham Vandermeer
    Midfielders: Riley Garcia, Will Hayes, Lin Jong, Callum Porter, Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis, Rhylee West
    Forwards: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Cody Weightman
    Rucks: Jordon Sweet, Jackson Trengove
    I saw that, and I just think they've just put players in positions that 'look' ok.

I don't think Macrae can play wing. Does anyone believe a ball hunter can hold position and not get 'sucked' into the contest? He couldn't do it.

Wood as KPD? Not for me. Cordy at least comes in. Then who do we drop? The obvious candidates are Libba if he's just going to be an inside mid second rotation (and I love Libba), or Dickson if he's the Sam Lloyd v2 in the F50. I think we have to persist with Richards on the wing for now even though he seems lost there sometimes.

McLean can rotate deep forward, high forward or wing - and as seen last year appears willing to sacrifice his game and his numbers for a role that helps the team.

Suckling probably comes in as Bevo loves him, sadly both Dicko and Libba will have to make way.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He was our best KPD in our final last year. MC seem to see his grunt as a big positive. He was our sole KPD for a few weeks last year.
    Was he though?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

He defended quite well. His ball use was woeful.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young at fullback imo. Wood and JJ to hbf, Crozier to fullback line. Macrae would be wasted on a wing. Daniel out of backline, not sure where. Trengove on bench.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood handing over the captaincy may change our best 22 mix now. I still think only one of Cordy or Wood can play in the side.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with this call on Cordy. He will be a far better player with Keath in the team and no longer play as our number 1 defender. A lot of people under estimate the pressure he puts on opponents with tackling and spoils. Even happy to see him play as a pressure forward if need be. He is in our best 22.

18. Likes Mofra liked this post