R: Sweet, Lipinski, West
    Int: Porter, Greene, R.Smith

we are missing a couple of big guys who can play forward

Add 2/3 Draftees
    updated
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020: Round 1 Team

Wow……..this really hard. So many quality players have to miss out.

I’m gonna name a team with my ‘non negotiables’ in bold.

My 'toss of a coin' selections in regular type,
    and the next in the queue in italics on the side.
    These players are interchangeable based on form, and really show the strength and depth of our list…

FB. Wood. Trengove. Cordy. (Duryea. Young. Williams)
    HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier. (Lynch, Suckling, La Young)
    C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith. (Richards. Wallis. West)
    HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache (Gowers, Green)
    FF. Daniel. Naughton. Dickson (dynamic small forward pick 13 I hope)

R. English. Bontempelli. Macrae.

Inter. Liberatore. Maclean. Lipinski. Dale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Wow……..this really hard. So many quality players have to miss out.

I’m gonna name a team with my ‘non negotiables’ in bold.

My 'toss of a coin' selections in regular type,
    and the next in the queue in italics on the side.
    These players are interchangeable based on form, and really show the strength and depth of our list…

FB. Wood. Trengove. Cordy. (Duryea. Young. Williams)
    HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier. (Lynch, Suckling, La Young)
    C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith. (Richards. Wallis. West)
    HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache (Gowers, Green)
    FF. Daniel. Naughton. Dickson (dynamic small forward pick 13 I hope)

Inter. Liberatore. Maclean. Lipinski. Dale.
    Great effort. It's bloody hard.

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.
    HB. Johanissen. Keith. Crozier.
    C. Hunter. Dunkley. B. Smith.
    HF. Lloyd. Bruce. Schache
    FF. Dale. Naughton. Wallis

Inter. Liberatore. Daniel. Lipinski. Gowers.

Dickson is out just because he's old and I reckon he'll take a bit to warm into the season.

I don't see Wallis not being included after likely being in the top couple of runners at the club over preseason, and after all, this is a round one side.

On that note, I think Gowers will put in a good injury free preseason and I think the coaching staff likes what he brings to the side overhead. I also don't see how a guy like Dale can be excluded all things being equal after having one or two bad games amongst excellent games at the end of the year if his preseason goes OK.

Toby is my unlucky out, possibly being the best depth player in the league for round one...….if that's even a thing. I've selected Wallis ahead of him and it could easily be a straight swap, but I just like Wallis that little bit more. The guys on the bench are who they are, if Wallis and Toby were in a toss up for me it would be for the forward pocket spot.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.

It's hard to believe that the McLean (which you explained) Suckling, Duryea, Richards are outside of the best 22 which is a sign that we have enough depth given we also have Trengove, Dickson (also explained) West and Hayes all around the mark

We should be aiming high in 2020 and not be prepared to accept too many excuses
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is hard. I choose Trengove over Young simply on my reaction to the GWS final.
    Thought it was a mistake not to have a big hard seasoned body out there. Also he is a genuinely capable ruck back up for English.
    But Young could easily take his spot based on pre season form.

As for Gowers, I've just been watching some of last years games, and I honestly don't think his brain works fast enough to respond to our playing style. He is best when he has no time to think. Throwing himself at a long bomb coming in or pouncing on a loose ball he is great. But thinking his way through a complex play he seems to get confused and tangled and fumbly in his thinking and actions. I don't think he can push out Lloyd, Dickson or Dale for one of those spots........... yet.

I've moved Daniel from the backline to the forward pocket because I felt we rebounded faster and longer out of defence without Caleb, even though he was in great individual form down there. He could be, even temporarily, our smart small forward crumber. Keep him close to goal where he could be so dangerous from short range on either foot, whether it's slotting goals or finding targets. Having Daniel sharking the packs under Naughton, Bruce and Schache would give other teams the willies I reckon. A perfect recipe for panicked defenders giving away frees for holding and high tackles.

I hate leaving Richards (pace) and Wallis (heart and soul) out of the 22 but they will have to fight Lipinski and Dale for those last 2 spots. Based on late season form, Lippa and Dale deserve to be named as it stands.

Out of our plethora of smallish-midsized rebounding defenders I think JJ is in without question, being one of our only genuinely fast players, and Crozier has stamped his name firmly on the other flank. It's up to the others to claim that spot off him. Cordy gets the back pocket for his spoonful of mongrel and for his ability to play tall or short. Nobody is pushing into that centreline or midfield over the names named. I CAN'T leave Libba out. And I've given Toby a spot for his X factor and still believe on raw talent he is due for a 'breakout' season.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

FB. Wood. Young. Cordy.

Dickson is out just because he's old and I reckon he'll take a bit to warm into the season.

I don't see Wallis not being included after likely being in the top couple of runners at the club over preseason, and after all, this is a round one side.

On that note, I think Gowers will put in a good injury free preseason and I think the coaching staff likes what he brings to the side overhead. I also don't see how a guy like Dale can be excluded all things being equal after having one or two bad games amongst excellent games at the end of the year if his preseason goes OK.

Toby is my unlucky out, possibly being the best depth player in the league for round one...….if that's even a thing. I've selected Wallis ahead of him and it could easily be a straight swap, but I just like Wallis that little bit more. The guys on the bench are who they are, if Wallis and Toby were in a toss up for me it would be for the forward pocket spot.

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not enough love for Duryea - he was a great selection and he fits our structure well. He's in my best 22 and can play small or tallish.

Will be interesting to see where Wallis and Libba are at. I wouldn't have them as walk ups anymore given the likes of Lipinski and Smith, but they tend to find a way to play when fit.

Providing we are healthy, spots will be hard to come by.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not enough love for Duryea - he was a great selection and he fits our structure well. He's in my best 22 and can play small or tallish.

Will be interesting to see where Wallis and Libba are at. I wouldn't have them as walk ups anymore given the likes of Lipinski and Smith, but they tend to find a way to play when fit.

He was excellent at times this year and was only an omission from my team because it's just unbelievably tight. He or Sucking come in if we decide to go more mobile in defence for sure.

Agree on Wallis and Libba, but think both are at the age where a ripper preseason takes them up a notch.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed and most teams I have seen look too big. I think Duryea needs to be play on that basis alone but he his form warrants first crack.

With Wood and Crozier who are not genuine smalls we can really only play two of Keath, Young, Cordy, Trengove as backs in my view. My preference would be two of those guys, Wood, Crozier and then the two smalls.

If we persist with Daniel at half back then I think Duryea slots in as the back rotation or even to a wing. On exposed form he has to play though.

Post Thanks / Like

I rated his H&A form highly but he really lowered his colours in the elimination final. I know he wasn't Robinson Crusoe but I was really hoping his Hawks experience would provide us with a calming influence down back and he kind of **** the bed.

Won't hang him on one performance, but I hope it burns over the pre-season and he comes back even better next year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the best 62 moments of our 2016 premiership year (if anyone needs a pick me up, I highly recommend this) and there were multiple moments where Caleb Daniel did some amazing things in the forward half.

Yes, he's not overly quick and he isn't a great tackler but forward pressure is more mindset than physical traits (IMO) and he's so smart with ball in hand, and ultra clean at ground level - why can't we try him again as that small forward we all know we're lacking?

I can't find a spot for him in defence and our last month was a lot more cohesive without him down there in my opinion. I can see him being a problem for opposition defenders at the feet of Naughton and Bruce.

NOTE: Just saw that Dancin' Dougie wrote something similar a few posts up...great minds etc
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes bornadog, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just watched the best 62 moments of our 2016 premiership year (if anyone needs a pick me up, I highly recommend this) and there were multiple moments where Caleb Daniel did some amazing things in the forward half.

Yes, he's not overly quick and he isn't a great tackler but forward pressure is more mindset than physical traits (IMO) and he's so smart with ball in hand, and ultra clean at ground level - why can't we try him again as that small forward we all know we're lacking?

I can't find a spot for him in defence and our last month was a lot more cohesive without him down there in my opinion. I can see him being a problem for opposition defenders at the feet of Naughton and Bruce.

NOTE: Just saw that Dancin' Dougie wrote something similar a few posts up...great minds etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I've moved Daniel from the backline to the forward pocket because I felt we rebounded faster and longer out of defence without Caleb, even though he was in great individual form down there. He could be, even temporarily, our smart small forward crumber. Keep him close to goal where he could be so dangerous from short range on either foot, whether it's slotting goals or finding targets. Having Daniel sharking the packs under Naughton, Bruce and Schache would give other teams the willies I reckon. A perfect recipe for panicked defenders giving away frees for holding and high tackles.
    I'm also an advocate of moving Daniel to the forward line. I agree with DD & Comrade with their reasons for moving him forward. We were quicker moving the ball out of defence when he wasn't there. His movement of the ball often tended to be little chips and dinky passes often not making much in terms of ground. It enabled opposition defences a chance to reset as our rebound was not quick enough. We were playing keepings off in the back half a bit too much.

An interesting stat. With Daniel in the side last season our win/loss ratio was 7/10 with him playing primarily in the backline. When he was out of the side for 5 games we won all of them.

I would like to see him play half forward flank where he can direct play & bring more precise distribution of the ball into our forward 50. His chips and clever short passes will be more effective as he will be trying to hit up targets (and we have multiple options now) in scoring positions more often than not. His connectivity and ball retention rate is elite so we should make maximum use of this where it will hurt the opposition more. He can also push up to the wings to help out in midfield or go deep forward and look for crumbing goals. He is a clever reader of the play such great hands off the deck. I think it's worth a try.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

15. Likes Dancin' Douggy, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B: Suckling - Le. Young - Wood
    HB: JJ - Keath - Crozier
    C: Hunter - Dunkley - Richards
    HF: Schache - Bruce - Lloyd
    F: Weightman - Naughton - Dale
    R: English - Bontempelli - Macrae
    Int: Smith, Liberatore, Daniel, Lipinski
    Emerg: Williams, Trengove, Wallis, Duryea, McLean

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, La Young, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler, Garcia

I have a feeling that Weightman could surprise on the track and pre season games and be a dedicated small forward. I had McLean in his spot, so I like the balance here. There's some serious competition for spots in my 22. Trengove & Cordy need to fight their day back in. While Wallis & McLean need to fight their way back in as well. While Duryea, Williams & La Young need to fight their way in too, based on my 22. There's going to fierce competition for spots and Footscray should have a good season too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B: Suckling - Le. Young - Wood
    HB: JJ - Keath - Crozier
    C: Hunter - Dunkley - Richards
    HF: Schache - Bruce - Lloyd
    F: Weightman - Naughton - Dale
    R: English - Bontempelli - Macrae
    Int: Smith, Liberatore, Daniel, Lipinski
    Emerg: Williams, Trengove, Wallis, Duryea, McLean

Then: Cordy, West, Hayes, La Young, Vandermeer, Gowers, Cavarra, Khamis, Jong, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Sweet, Butler, Garcia

I have a feeling that Weightman could surprise on the track and pre season games and be a dedicated small forward. I had McLean in his spot, so I like the balance here. There's some serious competition for spots in my 22. Trengove & Cordy need to fight their day back in. While Wallis & McLean need to fight their way back in as well. While Duryea, Williams & La Young need to fight their way in too, based on my 22. There's going to fierce competition for spots and Footscray should have a good season too.
    Good looking side. I think Dale, Weightman, Suckling, Daniel & Libba are our most vulnerable in that best 22. Can easily see West, McLean, Williams, Hayes & Lachie Young all pushing their way up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Dale, Weightman

19. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Haha nice catch.