Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  49
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020: Round 1 Team

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It don't think we quite have the midfield depth to lose a player like McLean without getting something very decent in return
    We have just about the deepest midfield going around, and seem to uncover at least one a year with ease so depth wise we have him covered.

Our midfield depth chart reads roughly:
    Bontempelli
    Macrae
    Dunkley
    Hunter
    Smith
    Lipinski
    Mclean
    Wallis
    Hayes
    Liberatore
    Jong
    Porter
    Webb

Lloyd is also able to play there, West is expecting to be rotated through and Williams has been unable to find a spot there yet despite training a whole pre-season in that area.

I completely agree we won't get sufficient compensation back for him unless it's a player for player type deal, but hos output this year was marginally better than what West showed he can contribute so it isn't like he is a huge loss, and we aren't expecting any of the 6 guys (arguably 9 seeing as Wallis, Hayes and Liberatore all saw more gametime there than Toby) ahead of him to drop off any time soon.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

It don't think we quite have the midfield depth to lose a player like McLean without getting something very decent in return
    He didn't quite finish the season off as we would have liked but are we reacting a bit quickly?

He averaged 15.6 possessions a game which is well down on the previous 2 years and was probably pushed back in the midfield rotations with Dunkley's emergence as a midfield beast and Bailey Smith's outstanding debut season. The imminent return of Liberatore is another hurdle for him.

If we are just getting a 2nd rounder in return is that sufficient compensation? I doubt we could get much more than that
    But McLean wasn’t used in the midfield rotations and when he did he wasn’t all that effective... I don’t think he won a clearance in the last 3 months of the season which is a huge regress in what he showed in the first half of 2018 when he was one of our few improvers.

I like Toby, but he is stuck in no mans land with us so he either works his ass off to be given more opportunities to play in the midfield or on a wing or he sees what else is out there for him.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Saints. Tell a bloke he won’t be offered a contract beyond next year then play hardball at the trade table because he is a required player next year. Would make you feel wanted to know they only want you to fill a gap next year then we are done with you.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Nice one Saints. Tell a bloke he won’t be offered a contract beyond next year then play hardball at the trade table because he is a required player next year. Would make you feel wanted to know they only want you to fill a gap next year then we are done with you.
    Alarm bells for players considering the Saints. Even if we don't want you, we will hold you over a barrel!

Post Thanks / Like

I’d love to see Mclean groomed as a permanent small forward. He is great overhead, knows where the goals are, skilled with the ball, and can weave in pressure - he played all his junior footy as a forward - to me it seems a no brainer.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I’d love to see Mclean groomed as a permanent small forward. He is great overhead, knows where the goals are, skilled with the ball, and can weave in pressure - he played all his junior footy as a forward - to me it seems a no brainer.
    That is what he was doing this year.

A PREMIERSHIP forward after 19 games, Western Bulldogs star Toby McLean will return to attack this season as the Dogs search for greater avenues to goal.

A breakout midfielder last season, the 23-year-old is set to be deployed in the forward 50 as Luke Beveridge prepares for deeper options in the centre square.story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. It didn't work this season for one reason or another but my opinion is he played too high.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is what he was doing this year.
    He didn’t play the whole season as a small forward. He was moved up the ground a fair bit, given a couple of weeks running through the middle and to be honest spent the rest of the games he played in no mans land. I’m talking a genuine crumbing forward.

Post Thanks / Like

He didn’t play the whole season as a small forward. He was moved up the ground a fair bit, given a couple of weeks running through the middle and to be honest spent the rest of the games he played in no mans land. I’m talking a genuine crumbing forward.
    Agreed and that was what I was getting at. Play him deep. He's smart, a great mark, kicks well and can apply heavy pressure. He needs to become a Picken-type player to survive.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed and that was what I was getting at. Play him deep. He's smart, a great mark, kicks well and can apply heavy pressure. He needs to become a Picken-type player to survive.
    Doesn’t Bailey Dale play deep? I know players interchange positions readily, but I see Dale as being more effective and with greater scope in that area.

And I’m not sure McLean applies heavy pressure. He is ok in this area, but it isn’t a strength of his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Does McLean have the tank to take a wing with the constant running?

His skill set would be well suited if his endurance is there.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Caleb does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Good question but I don't know the answer to it. Just doesn't quite strike me as the winger type like Hunter
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good question but I don't know the answer to it. Just doesn't quite strike me as the winger type like Hunter
    Yeah I think to play the modern day wing role, kinda back into vogue, you need either:
    - explosive speed + good enough tank OR
    - elite tank allowing you to go at a decent speed for a long time/cover a tonne of ground (Hunter)

I think McLean's skill set is more suited to more inside type situations. I see him ultimately as a B grade inside mid when we have a trio of A/A+s taking up so much of the time. Libba is ahead of him too when fit and I think Lipsinki is or will be ahead of him too. Then there's Bailey Smith...

McLean really has to add value forward and make the best of his opportunities in his stints in the engine room.

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah I think to play the modern day wing role, kinda back into vogue, you need either:
    - explosive speed + good enough tank OR
    - elite tank allowing you to go at a decent speed for a long time/cover a tonne of ground (Hunter)

I think McLean's skill set is more suited to more inside type situations. I see him ultimately as a B grade inside mid when we have a trio of A/A+s taking up so much of the time. Libba is ahead of him too when fit and I think Lipsinki is or will be ahead of him too. Then there's Bailey Smith...

McLean really has to add value forward and make the best of his opportunities in his stints in the engine room.
    I might be on my own, but I think McLean is a player who can work on the inside but also outside. He is good in the air and has an ability to get clear and use the ball well.

The only thing I would be concerned with is how much repeat effort he can provide. I see him well suited to a wing position if he can produce the necessary repeat running effort.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured