Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  49
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020: Round 1 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Perfect.

We just have to work 'Flea' in there somewhere (Maybe get the bass player from Red Hot Chilli Peppers who grew up in Melbourne, surely he'd know a bit about footy?)
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not enough love for Duryea - he was a great selection and he fits our structure well. He's in my best 22 and can play small or tallish.

Will be interesting to see where Wallis and Libba are at. I wouldn't have them as walk ups anymore given the likes of Lipinski and Smith, but they tend to find a way to play when fit.

Providing we are healthy, spots will be hard to come by.
    Agree on Duryea who deserves to be in our best 22. Playing both Wallis and Libba together doesn't add much pace to the side.
    Libba needs to prove that he is match fit given his string of injuries.Lipinski and Smith you would expect to be in our opening side.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Caleb Daniel at now from a selection in the senior side perspective?

Most of the lists being proposed here have him on the bench or the forward line, I don't think anyone has him as a defender for 2020
    Is he at a crossroads or is it a case that he will now just need to adapt to a new role?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Most of the lists being proposed here have him on the bench or the forward line, I don't think anyone has him as a defender for 2020
    Is he at a crossroads or is it a case that he will now just need to adapt to a new role?
    Whilst Caleb has performed well we need to get better following 3 disappointing years. I would see him competing against the likes of Libba Wallis Maclean West Smith Hayes Richards and Weightman to hold his place in the side. Daniel may well complement the likes of Bont Dunkley and Macrae in the midfield which could be a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

For me, I like him further up the ground. There's also an element of our worst came with him as a defender and the over use of him as a designated kicker. When he got injured, it came at same time as a better looking defence and winning more often than not. He could stay on the HBF, but the over use of him would need to end. But his precise kicking to Bruce, Schache, Naughton, Lloyd & Dale (as marking targets) would hurt opponents more I feel.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If we can't find a spot for someone with Daniel's talents with ball in hand, we're either absolutely flying or not trying hard enough.

I see him on a wing floating between the arcs, helping orchestrate chains out of defence and using the same creativity to feed our second and third option forwards.

Of course it'll be tempting to hit up Naughts and Bruce as quickly and as often possible but Caleb's one with the patience and smarts to help get the most out of supporting cast members who can cleverly work the seams.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B: Crozier, Cordy, Wood
    HB: JJ, Keath, Suckling
    C: Daniel, Smith, Hunter
    HF: Macrae, Bruce, Lipinski
    F: Dale, Naughton, Schache
    R: English, Bont, Dunks
    I/C: Liberatore, Richards, McLean, Duryea

About 5 players I wanted to find a spot for but couldn’t....gee its tough

Post Thanks / Like

Who plays on the opposition sides best key forwards like Lynch, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Franklin and Curnow etc?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking all of our sides but just think we are still missing some good old fashion grunt. We need Libba to get healthy thats for sure, so wish I could swap Lloyd out of the forward line for Liam Picken.

I just cant see Dicko, Lloyd, Dale and Schache all playing in the same forward line.

I wonder if Wallis can play that pressure forward role in the forward line? Does he still think that he is a mid? I just think for Mitch to survive he has to get down and dirty, absolute blue collar sort of stuff.

Westy can lay a serious tackle will be interesting to see how he goes in his second year, there is a role available thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I could swap Lloyd out of the forward line for Liam Picken.

I just cant see Dicko, Lloyd, Dale and Schache all playing in the same forward line.
    You mean our leading goal kicker (38)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You mean our leading goal kicker (38)
    Yeah regular season happily play Lloyd but if we want to go to the next level not sure he is quite the answer comes finals time. Its more about the mix above we can play a few but I think we need to add a little 2016 grunt to the mix. The 2020 side will do better home and away with enhanced scoring power, but finals time it's still a question for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Cordy, Crozier, JJ, Keath, Daniel, Duryea, Wood
    Outside Mids: Hunter, Suckling, Richards
    Inside Mids: Bontempelli, Dunkley, Macrae, Smith
    Rucks: English
    Forwards: Naughton, Bruce, Lloyd, Dale, Lipa, Maclean, West

Williams is the one I had the hardest time finding a spot for...in the end, he just hasn't pinned one down. I can't find room for Dickson (assuming West continues his improvement) nor any of the draftees...nor Schache.

Daniel will come back in and play behind the ball and I expect Suckling to continue his transition from HB to o-mid/hi forward whether we think that is a good idea or not.

Some I found easy to select who might surprise? Lipinski was automatic for me, Richards the same.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Thanks Go_Dogs, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No Libba mjp?

Agree on Lippa and Ted - both well entrenched now.

Seems a lot of us are struggling to fit Libba, Wallis in. Has the game gone past them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    No Libba mjp?

Agree on Lippa and Ted - both well entrenched now.

Seems a lot of us are struggling to fit Libba, Wallis in. Has the game gone past them?
    Well...

I just tried to pick a team that could take the field and I had Liba 5th for inside mids (behind the 4 I selected). Which meant he had to either be forward, back or OUT.

I have Lipa AND Toby ahead of him as a forward who can help in the mids (last 3x spots in the forward line)...I was going to give him the spot that ultimately went to West but then you end up with the same situation as last year when mids are continually being squeezed out and no-one is happy. West can earn his bones as a small forward and will be 'happy'...I'm not sure Liba will.

Wally is easier to explain. I think he is a forward now and he is behind Lloyd and Dale (and Dickson for that matter). So no spot for him.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Thanks Twodogs, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mclean struggled in 2019, and needs to improve or he will not find a spot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.