Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo on Ch. 7's The Front Bar last night

Anyone see Derek Kickett on the Front Bar last night?

Apparently Shane O'Sullivan travelled to Perth and tried to recruit Derek when he was 21 (1983/84) but was fobbed off by his WAFL club and never actually got to interview him. Derek was dirty on his club when he found out after the fact.

Such a shame we didn't get to see him in a bulldogs jumper. Such an entertaining footballer and maybe could have made a difference in 1985. At the very least I probably wouldn't have had to watch him kick 8 against us for the Bombers at the MCG one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Apparently Shane O'Sullivan travelled to Perth and tried to recruit Derek when he was 21 (1983/84) but was fobbed off by his WAFL club and never actually got to interview him. Derek was dirty on his club when he found out after the fact.

Such a shame we didn't get to see him in a bulldogs jumper. Such an entertaining footballer and maybe could have made a difference in 1985. At the very least I probably wouldn't have had to watch him kick 8 against us for the Bombers at the MCG one day.
    His best footy was (I think) played pre-AFL and maybe his first couple of AFL seasons...he was a genuine mid when he first started at West Perth (and again at Cl) and really got shunted forward as he got older (and heavier).

Amazing player...reading this I was trying to remember if I actually played against him and even though our timelines kind of cross-over I think he might have been in Melbourne before I started over here...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    His best footy was (I think) played pre-AFL and maybe his first couple of AFL seasons...he was a genuine mid when he first started at West Perth (and again at Cl) and really got shunted forward as he got older (and heavier).

Amazing player...reading this I was trying to remember if I actually played against him and even though our timelines kind of cross-over I think he might have been in Melbourne before I started over here...
    They mentioned last night that his 1987 season was phenomenal. Finished 16 votes clear in the Sandover but was ineligible for slapping Tim Gepp and copping a 3 week suspension. Would have been at the height of his powers in the mid to late 80s but didn't make his way to North until he was 26 in 1989.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic player, shame he didn't make the move a bit earlier.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Shane signed up alot of WA players back in that period including Purser, Sewell, Shorty Daniels, Williams, to name a few.

On the trip to WA in 1984, he also signed up Bamblett. Bamblett was playing for East Freo ( i think). He was staying in a caravan with his girlfriend. Shane said all the negotiation was done by his girlfriend.

Shame he couldn't get to Derek.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They mentioned last night that his 1987 season was phenomenal. Finished 16 votes clear in the Sandover but was ineligible for slapping Tim Gepp and copping a 3 week suspension. Would have been at the height of his powers in the mid to late 80s but didn't make his way to North until he was 26 in 1989.
    To be fair, Gepp deserved it
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i nearly choked on my dinner when he said Footscray. What if indeed.
    All the old footage was a reminder just how audacious he was. And those torps!
    Very entertaining guest. Used to enjoy him on Marngrook.

Post Thanks / Like

How are the torps the legend was kicking!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?exti...88215429077115
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How are the torps the legend was kicking!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?exti...88215429077115
    He not only kicked some of those from outside 50, they travelled about 20 metres into the crowd
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine a current player kicking 75m torps on the run, modern defenses would collapse!
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Imagine a current player kicking 75m torps on the run, modern defenses would collapse!
    Our Timmy kicked one to Naughts and the world almost broke because of the ridiculous mark it induced.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC, boydogs liked this post