Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who would you target for trade now?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As per the OP, Sam Power is good at his job. He felt it appropriate and that he could re-sign everyone he wants (ie Bont & co) AND sign Bruce, Keath & Martin. That $700,000 a year is still there owing to Martin knocking us back. If Martin, changed his mind and wanted the $700,000 a season contract, should we tell him no? If another good player wanted into our club for the money we have, should we tell them no?
    My point is we got the targets we could get, let’s get Bont signed, would you lose Bont over 100,000 because we
    decided on another player thinking Bont would sign ?
    Teams will come hard if we don’t get him signed early.
    Was either of Bruce and Keath only signed because Martin became unavailable ?
    I’m not inside the club at all but I would want Bont signed ASAP on a long term deal and I wouldn’t sacrifice losing him.
    Maybe Sam has got a deal with Bont already but not signed . I don’t know.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

In responding to BAD in another thread I said I hoped clubs use cash to hurt GWS this year and next with Whitfield & Cameron. So I looked at their uncontracted list for 2019 & 2020 for them. Not only do they need serious cash for those two players there's several good players and young players they need to address.

There's a lesser talked about restricted free agent next year, Zac Williams. Here's a very favourable but very similar comparison to Jack Martin:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

Now Martin plays midfielder and forward, but in the prelim final Williams showed he has the flexibility to play more midfield/wing too. He's a gun and ordinarily I wouldn't put up for a discussion a rebounding defender with our list profile. But... Suckling is likely to retire next year, Webb & maybe Roarke delisted, Bailey Williams has a question mark, Duryea isn't exactly young. If we put Zach Williams back there alongside JJ, then the flow on is perhaps Ed Ricahrds & Caleb Daniel into the role slated for Jack Martin in that neat and tidy high half forward with more and improved I50 entries.

That's a good player that could put some pressure on GWS list and salary cap, that they know they just can't match so they let go. They will likely let Tomlinson go for whatever compo they're given this year for the same reason, for fear they can't match offers on Tomlinson & Cameron next year. If a club, ours or others, threw at him a Martin like contract (5 X $700,000) surely JMac at GWS might think a good trade this year is worth whatever the compo is next year if they can't retain him (particularly if Tomlinson compo is second round). He's also an indigenous man from the Wiradjuri people. Mr Gordon wants a highly talented indigenous players.

Different angle. Thoughts?

Edit: How to guide for Zac Williams:

(Pick 42 & 47 side for a Freo draft points trade, Pick 84 for a depth ruckman)

Picks 13, 31 & 49 - Pick 18 & Williams

Why? The draft points from our picks (& upgrade) combine to around Pick 14 for Willims. He's a free agent next year, so this is a good offer. That's a good return for a club with a top 5 academy prospect (Green), thus the draft points are relevant. GWS are looking to package their first rounders up and get Pick 3 from Melbourne to get up the draft order before Green is bid on. Picks 11 & 18 isn't juicy enough to my mind. But offering Melbourne Picks 11 & 13 (from us) is worthy of a serious discussion from Melbourne, maybe throwing in Bonar (who went Pick 11) to get the deal done. GWS then use the points from picks 31 & 49 and their picks 53, Patton pick & Tomlinson compo to cover off the points needed for Green. Nailing pick 3 and Greene possibly at pick 4 or 5. Another great draft for them with two top 5 picks despite playing in the GF.

For us? Pick 18 for Keath & Pick 27. Pick 27 for Bruce - Adelaide land another first rounder via upgrade to rebuild. St Kilda get a mid second rounder for Bruce, who might want more. But I'd only top it up with Jong/Gowers/Lynch. (Or if St Kilda got pick 35 for Jack Steven, Pick 18 to St Kilda for Bruce & 35. Pick 35 to Adelaide for Keath with a Jong/Gowers/Lynch if wanted).

Only catch us very late draft picks and rookie upgrade/s.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've all seen the 2016 PF a million times. Have a look at the Zac Williams bullet kick under pressure in D50 to Tom Scully (when JJ should have been pinged for entering the protected zone). This bloke is an elite ball user and knows how to find it. Great suggestion BT.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    My point is we got the targets we could get, let’s get Bont signed, would you lose Bont over 100,000 because we
    decided on another player thinking Bont would sign ?
    Teams will come hard if we don’t get him signed early.
    Was either of Bruce and Keath only signed because Martin became unavailable ?
    I’m not inside the club at all but I would want Bont signed ASAP on a long term deal and I wouldn’t sacrifice losing him.
    Maybe Sam has got a deal with Bont already but not signed . I don’t know.
    The trade period hasn't even started and we are done? We've gotten all the targets we could get? It's not even begun. We got two good players before the start.

Bonts would be crazy to sign right now. If I was his manager I'd be telling him to just play footy and look at it in 12+ months.

Logically, the argument is Sam Power was irresponsible to offer that contract to Martin. We were after Martin, Bruce & Keath together which fits within our salary cap. So Sam Power would've cost us Bonts because he can't manage a cap? That's not happening. By the end of next year Dicko & Suckling will be retired. This year they'd be on a good guess of at least $600,000. How much of that did you want for Bonts? $100,000.

Ok. Then there's $500,000 spare, Bonts signed up with your desired $100,000 (take $300,00 if you like), plus $700,000 this year or next for another player. Relax my man, Bonts is going nowhere unless he wants to, and I doubt it. There's plenty of cash because we've been banking cap for a while, missed Hurley & Wingard and lost legends Morris, Picken and Tom Boyd. Sam Power is doing a great job and has a bucket load of cash for the next three weeks, all without a hint of risk with Bonts.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 28-09-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Bloody auto incorrecting typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    1. Back up ruckman

2. Winger with speed and kicking skills

If we can't find a winger this year we should bank our spare change and target someone like Whitfield in 2020?

Or Ben King.
    Any idea's on which players Doc?

I'm not sure we have enough spots to land more than Keath and Bruce but assuming we do I think you have covered the type of players we need

Could we be serious players for the services of Ben King next year when we will need a bit of additional coverage for JUH and a couple of others?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Alir Alir. I've wanted us to sign him since he was a rookie at the Swans. His pace, good hands and quick thinking would be perfect down back for us and allow Naughton to play forward.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Alir Alir. I've wanted us to sign him since he was a rookie at the Swans. His pace, good hands and quick thinking would be perfect down back for us and allow Naughton to play forward.
    He's got a contract until 2021 so it's doubtful we could pry him from them.
    I remember your views about him from when he first started playing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's got a contract until 2021 so it's doubtful we could pry him from them.
    I remember your views about him from when he first started playing
    Yep, we missed the boat on him at the end of 2016 when we celebrating so hard the rest of the world went past us and we didn't notice. That was the time to move. The Swans were a bit so-so on him, he was recovering from a leg injury but you could just see the kid had a competitive streak a mile wide and the talent and determination to back it up.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, we missed the boat on him at the end of 2016 when we celebrating so hard the rest of the world went past us and we didn't notice. That was the time to move. The Swans were a bit so-so on him, he was recovering from a leg injury but you could just see the kid had a competitive streak a mile wide and the talent and determination to back it up.
    I think it’s exactly what we are trying to do with Baka, plays across half back intercepting and learning the same as Alir
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea's on which players Doc?

I'm not sure we have enough spots to land more than Keath and Bruce but assuming we do I think you have covered the type of players we need

Could we be serious players for the services of Ben King next year when we will need a bit of additional coverage for JUH and a couple of others?
    I don't mind the Zac Smith option as our experienced back up ruckman. He will be relatively cheap and provide us with insurance/competition for English.

Isaac Smith would have been ideal for the winger role for the short term. If that is not possible I'm happy to head to the draft and get one there. There are a few in this draft that would appeal to us I would think.

Re Ben King: I mentioned in one of the other threads we should make a play for him next year. If we felt we were a genuine chance we could look at trading our 1st this year for a) preferably a 1st rounder next year or b) a package of 2nd rounders next year or 1 this year with 1 next year.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like us to sigh Sam Murray. DFA and would only get a small wage. Has proven that he can play at a high level and if he's got his off field shit sorted out it's a no brainer for mine.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I'd like us to sigh Sam Murray. DFA and would only get a small wage. Has proven that he can play at a high level and if he's got his off field shit sorted out it's a no brainer for mine.
    Do we need another half back flanker?

Post Thanks / Like

It's Elliott for me little time in the midfield but replaces picken nicely which we have missed since we won our flag.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Do we need another half back flanker?
    I guess the question is is he better than some of our half back flankers. I rate him and could see him making us better, maybe even releasing some like JJ to a wing. Free depth at worst.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Moneyball style, could Masten be our De Boer? We lack a run with midfielder.