Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charles Sutton Medal 2019

Great win to Bonti and I think our captain Easton Wood needs to be congratulated on finishing 7th. We sit from a distance to critique his game while those on the MC, who give the votes, really respect what he does for the team on a weekly basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Great win to Bonti and I think our captain Easton Wood needs to be congratulated on finishing 7th. We sit from a distance to critique his game while those on the MC, who give the votes, really respect what he does for the team on a weekly basis.
    Good point B4L.

I thought he had his best season since 2016
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It might have something to do with a coach rating golden fist qualities more than his mere 11 possessions a game
    The fact that he finished in front of Crozier is somewhat perplexing
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love this from Bevo:

“In 2020, we will believe that we are closer than we may be, but we will prepare like we’re further away than ever.” - senior coach Luke Beveridge.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It might have something to do with a coach rating golden fist qualities more than his mere 11 possessions a game
    Maybe G he has certain "jobs" that he has to do each week on the opposition that of course we are not aware of but the MC are.

Post Thanks / Like

Extremely perplexing given Bevo raised Crozier’s name as a possible AA squad member.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam Lloyd - Best team Player

That one surprised me quite a bit. Not exactly the first guy that comes to mind when I think 'team first'. Though his willingness to take the shot is probably selflessness in the context of this team

10. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Extremely perplexing given Bevo raised Crozier’s name as a possible AA squad member.
    Not sure who votes on the BnF, but maybe Bevo's view was different to a few of the other judges.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Not sure who votes on the BnF, but maybe Bevo's view was different to a few of the other judges.
    The MC.

Post Thanks / Like

I went along last night, its getting bigger every year it seems with the inclusion of the women's teams. Think there was 1400 in attendance.
    Highlight was the retirement speeches especially Brad Johnson's for Dale Morris. Hopefully it's made available on the website soon. He had video clips from players including Nick Riewoldt, Jonathon Brown and Eddie Betts. Oh and some bloke called Chris Hemsworth.
    I was struck by how entrenched the club doctors are in the lives of especially the footy department. Dr Landsberger was truly loved and will be sorely missed. Great night, club is in very good hands at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe G he has certain "jobs" that he has to do each week on the opposition that of course we are not aware of but the MC are.
    If the job was staying away from the ball, then mission complete
    I think it's a questionable voting format for a player to have his worst season in a number of years finish in our top 7 players for the season. Ahead of Naughton and Crozier? No way.

I need to put my thinking cap on and try and recall who he actually beat convincingly. I can recall one or two but equally I can recall him getting towelled up as well

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a questionable voting format for a player to have his worst season in a number of years finish in our top 7 players for the season. Ahead of Naughton and Crozier? No way.

I need to put my thinking cap on and try and recall who he actually beat convincingly. I can recall one or two but equally I can recall him getting towelled up as well
    I think the coaches would have rated Easton's value in the scheme of him leading a defensive unit which was put under serious strain during the course of the year given the lack of (tall) personnel.

I agree that Crozier had a better year on an individual basis, but as leader of the defensive area, Easton must be given some credit for us not capitulating entirely.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

It could possibly be that when it comes to Easton you have a bit of a fixation on what he doesn't do, versus the value of what he actually does.

Bevo could have thought Crozier had more of an impact, the other members on the match committee may have valued Wood's contribution more highly.

I thought Crozier was better, but I also thought that Wood's contribution (as quoted by him, in a different and deeper role on bigger players) was really valuable. Sure at times he had the odd clanger, but overall he was really solid and sometimes really good in a non-preferred role. As another poster said, he was leading a defencive unit that was under-sized and by everyone's admission lacking in structure due to personnel limitations, and that counts for a lot.

Super effort from Bont, and really strong performance from Dunks and Jacko with the latter unlucky to miss out on a higher position in the voting tally by a very small amount.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It could possibly be that when it comes to Easton you have a bit of a fixation on what he doesn't do, versus the value of what he actually does.

Bevo could have thought Crozier had more of an impact, the other members on the match committee may have valued Wood's contribution more highly.

I thought Crozier was better, but I also thought that Wood's contribution (as quoted by him, in a different and deeper role on bigger players) was really valuable. Sure at times he had the odd clanger, but overall he was really solid and sometimes really good in a non-preferred role. As another poster said, he was leading a defencive unit that was under-sized and by everyone's admission lacking in structure due to personnel limitations, and that counts for a lot.

Super effort from Bont, and really strong performance from Dunks and Jacko with the latter unlucky to miss out on a higher position in the voting tally by a very small amount.
    Not at all, it's simply he doesn't pass the test of being a productive player and it's been a steady decline over the last 3 years
    He's hugely popular and I know I don't have a lot of support with my differing view but if he warranted a position in the top 7 players of 2019 I can't agree with it.
    His limitations, not a good ball user, can't play forward can't consistently play tall etc, would be called out more forcibly for most other players.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all, it's simply he doesn't pass the test of being a productive player and it's been a steady decline over the last 3 years
    He's hugely popular and I know I don't have a lot of support with my differing view but if he warranted a position in the top 7 players of 2019 I can't agree with it.
    His limitations, not a good ball user, can't play forward can't consistently play tall etc, would be called out more forcibly for most other players.
    But at his height he does consistently play tall - that's precisely the point we are tying to make. I mean, how tall do you want him to play?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.