Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  39
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charles Sutton Medal 2019

Before the bye we had conceded 1001 points against, the second worst in the league just ahead of Melbourne with 1004 points against. The second half of the season we conceded 809 points against, the 6th best in the comp. A fair turn around.

Going off those figures our defense got better as the year wore on and if Easton Wood was if charge of the defense, well his place is the BNF is understandable.

I was very critical of Wood all season but credit where credit is due. Well done.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit surprised with how high Wood finished as well. I though Crozier had a cracker of a season. Enough to be top five in my eyes. In saying that the MC have a way better idea ( mind you I don’t always think this either) than I do. I appears they must have assigned the more difficult task on bigger blokes to Wood. Therefore they have viewed Woods contributions to be greater than that of Crozier. Every year there are surprises to us but all understood internally.

I’m a bit excited for 2020 I can’t friggen wait

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    I am a bit surprised with how high Wood finished as well. I though Crozier had a cracker of a season. Enough to be top five in my eyes. In saying that the MC have a way better idea ( mind you I don’t always think this either) than I do. I appears they must have assigned the more difficult task on bigger blokes to Wood. Therefore they have viewed Woods contributions to be greater than that of Crozier. Every year there are surprises to us but all understood internally.

I’m a bit excited for 2020 I can’t friggen wait
    Most people would suggest Tex Walker had a poor season for the Crows this year and bingo the captain finished 7th in the B&F
    There might be something to that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Top 16:

Bont - 299 votes
    Dunks - 270
    Macrae - 268
    JJ - 174
    Daniel - 164
    Hunter - 161
    Wood - 160
    Naughton - 154
    Lloyd - 153
    Crozier - 141
    Suckling - 136
    Cordy - 130
    Duryea - 115
    B.Smith - 106
    Libba - 98
    McLean - 86
    A few guys rated better than i expected. I didn't think JJ had a great year, Wood was poor mostly but improved at the end, Suckling did well considering his whipping boy status and quiet patch mid year, Cordy nearly made the top ten despite what many including me thought was a terrible year, Libba fpr me looked done for most of the year and missed a huge chunk yet still is top 15, and Mclean had maybe 3 effective games.

Surprised Trengove didn't atleast get similiar credit to Cordy for his defensive efforts, surprised English rates lower than Libba and Mclean considering i thought English had more good games than them overall, same goes for Lipinski, and thought both Schache and Dickson had better years as forwards than Toby, Dales late form would have seen him in the mix too surely.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    A few guys rated better than i expected. I didn't think JJ had a great year, Wood was poor mostly but improved at the end, Suckling did well considering his whipping boy status and quiet patch mid year, Cordy nearly made the top ten despite what many including me thought was a terrible year, Libba fpr me looked done for most of the year and missed a huge chunk yet still is top 15, and Mclean had maybe 3 effective games.

Surprised Trengove didn't atleast get similiar credit to Cordy for his defensive efforts, surprised English rates lower than Libba and Mclean considering i thought English had more good games than them overall, same goes for Lipinski, and thought both Schache and Dickson had better years as forwards than Toby, Dales late form would have seen him in the mix too surely.
    agree with you completely. How English did not rate better as the sole Rick most games at his age against the monsters. Would have a Schache above Maclean and Libba

Post Thanks / Like

The top 3 were awesome but I would like to see a much closer top 10 in our B&F in 2020 - we fell away too much for my liking, which reflected in the 2nd tier not stepping up on the rare occasions that Bont/Dunks/Macrae lowered their colours.

Not surprised with Libba polling well - he jumped out of the blocks early in the season when most others were still yet to find their best footy. A fully fit Libba will be a very welcome addition to our midfield.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Liked Duryea's interviews up on the website - seems a bit of a character.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Most people would suggest Tex Walker had a poor season for the Crows this year and bingo the captain finished 7th in the B&F
    There might be something to that.
    Kicked 43 goals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Kicked 43 goals
    Some here have doubts on Sam Lloyd and he kicked 38 goals and finished 9th after playing every game
    I'd say the press and Adelaide supporters have been somewhat negative towards Walker this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Some here have doubts on Sam Lloyd and he kicked 38 goals and finished 9th after playing every game
    I'd say the press and Adelaide supporters have been somewhat negative towards Walker this year
    Agree they have been, even supporters haven't enjoyed his year, but 43 goals is also nothing to sneaze at.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree they have been, even supporters haven't enjoyed his year, but 43 goals is also nothing to sneaze at.
    I watched all of their games this year (many live) and I can tell you that he absolutely was horrible for most of the year. I am staggered he kicked that many, but a lot came when the game was over (like against us), in games where he was missing for 110 of 120 minutes, or when beating up easy opposition. There would not be too many that make his career highlights reel.

The other thing is that a lot of clubs would run off of him (he was a huge liability because he couldn’t go with almost anyone). Clubs almost stopped worrying about him. I lost count of all the times his opponent would run towards the contest etc. and he would try to go with them and then crawl to a halt (and do a lot of finger pointing). He is either super cooked or was playing injured.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 06-10-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I watched all of their games this year (many live) and I can tell you that he absolutely was horrible for most of the year. I am staggered he kicked that many, but a lot came when the game was over (like against us), when the game was already over, or when beating up easy opposition. There would not be too many that make his career highlights reel.

The other thing is that a lot of clubs would run off of him (he was a huge liability because he couldn’t go with almost anyone). Clubs almost stopped worrying about him. I lost count of all the times his opponent would run towards the contest etc. and he would try to go with them and then crawl to a halt (and do a lot of finger pointing). He is either super cooked or was playing injured.
    The others players must have been pretty bad as well with Walker polling so high

Post Thanks / Like

The others players must have been pretty bad as well with Walker polling so high
    They absolutely were. Honestly, it’s remarkable that they were only a game out of finals because they really replicated Melbourne’s year in a lot of ways. They were saved by a good quarter here or there, a kind draw, and some incredible luck with opposition injuries/form.

That said, the media gush over Walker and in some of their games this year Walker hitting one from 60m and hitting two lace out passes were the only highlights. I suspect that there is a bit of internal gush too.

It’s been enjoyable watching entitled, pompous Adelaide supporters getting a dose of seriously crap team. 5AA talkback has been fun this year after games and I expect next year is going to be almost more enjoyable than logging onto Bomberblitz when Essington go down.

14. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Average age of top 5 in 2019 club B&Fs (sorted oldest to youngest)
    28 FREM GEEL NTH
    27 RICH WCE
    26 BRIS ADEL COLL
    25 GCS CARL ESS PORT SYD
    24 HAW GWS STK MELB WBD

Third year in a row WBD have had the youngest top 5

16. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post