Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaches locked in for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Couldn’t be less worried about getting people in from outside. I would say the group we have is more than innovative enough and Bevo is clearly working to a plan. I like that we don’t just follow the leader and stick to our plans.

In my experience coaches from outside are not always a good thing especially when you have a unique style which we do. Happy to take someone new in but I’m not losing sleep over it.
    The problem is that over the last 3 years I don't believe we have got the best out of the playing group so we are backing the same coaches that haven't been as successful as we would have all hoped for

The stability we have displayed has typically been a trademark of teams performing at a higher level.

If we can improve a bit on our 2019 season then it's obviously worked out well for us, if we slip back then there will be a need to review this approach.

I remain positive about the changes we have made but in 12 months we will have a better idea if it's actually worked
    We need to see steady improvement across many of the players in 2020
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That’s what Rocket told Leon Cameron. Was good advice.
    It's what Clarkson espouses too. Obviously Bevo has different view to his former Mentor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The problem is that over the last 3 years I don't believe we have got the best out of the playing group so we are backing the same coaches that haven't been as successful as we would have all hoped for

The stability we have displayed has typically been a trademark of teams performing at a higher level.

If we can improve a bit on our 2019 season then it's obviously worked out well for us, if we slip back then there will be a need to review this approach.

I remain positive about the changes we have made but in 12 months we will have a better idea if it's actually worked
    We need to see steady improvement across many of the players in 2020
    On ability and experience 7th is a good result. I want more but I don’t think we can mount a case for under achieving.

I’m not against new blood I just don’t think there is much evidence to support the amount of angst it causes our supporters. Opposition coaches throughout the finals made mention of our unique style of play so I don’t think we are bereft of ideas.

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    On ability and experience 7th is a good result. I want more but I don’t think we can mount a case for under achieving.

I’m not against new blood I just don’t think there is much evidence to support the amount of angst it causes our supporters. Opposition coaches throughout the finals made mention of our unique style of play so I don’t think we are bereft of ideas.
    On ability we should have finished around 9th to 7th so that really isn't the issue. We also had a very good draw
    Where I don't think we are performing that well is the development of some of the players. Lynch for example had some promising performances in 2018 but couldn't crack it for a game in 2019. Lewis Young laboured throughout the year in a variety of roles before getting a couple of games later in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Player development is probably one of, if not the most important factor in a clubs on field success. I find it odd that the player development coaches are often fresh out of the game and only learning the coaching caper themselves. Wouldn’t a more experienced coach be better at this role?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant on SEN has said three of 9 assistants have been let go at this stage. Not sure who they are.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Chris Grant on SEN has said three of 9 assistants have been let go at this stage. Not sure who they are.
    Bevo mentioned yesterday it's been the most difficult time for him at the club.

Letting go of coaches (and players) isn't an easy task for him

I know this sounds harsh but it's not meant to be but he can still restructure the remaining coaches and run it efficiently

I would imagine Jordan Russell might be an unlucky one and Giansiracusa has no VFL side. Perhaps Dale Morris as well
    Or could a hard call be made on one of Hansen, Smith or Corey?

All of our guys are quality coaches and footy people

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be Gia, Morris and either Jordan Russell or Jamie Maddocks (development manager).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    My guess would be Gia, Morris and either Jordan Russell or Jamie Maddocks (development manager).
    Going to be hard on those guys isn't it?

Gia and Maddocks have done a power of work with our younger guys and Morris and Russell are well respected.

Not easy to lose any of them

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo mentioned yesterday it's been the most difficult time for him at the club.
    It absolutely would be - we tend not to have a high turnover of assistants so that team would have worked together for years, and planned to work together for the whole of this year too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It absolutely would be - we tend not to have a high turnover of assistants so that team would have worked together for years, and planned to work together for the whole of this year too.
    Chris said, if you multiply this by each team, there are alot of assistants out of a job.

Also mentioned, the restriction of 25 in football dept, doesn't include recruiting.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No one can question his loyalty towards players and coaches. He would be doing it tough

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, Russell and Morris are the three stood down coaches. Corey is the stoppages and set play coach and I suspect he is paying the price for how poor these facets have been in our last two matches.

17. Thanks jeemak, bornadog, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Chris said, if you multiply this by each team, there are alot of assistants out of a job.

Also mentioned, the restriction of 25 in football dept, doesn't include recruiting.
    Sad news. Given the bold bit, I wonder many other footy support staff (non coaching) got the bullet?

And like other industries, there is speculation that things (including stuffing levels) will never be the same.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Corey, Russell and Morris are the three stood down coaches. Corey is the stoppages and set play coach and I suspect he is paying the price for how poor these facets have been in our last two matches.
    Gee unlucky for Moz, but I guess he is the least experienced