Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  127
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 WB Membership Thread - Target 50,000

A week or so back on SEN the Saints were advertising a two for one season ticket. Buy one get two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A couple of further points to the discussion.

For some reason yesterdays training session and practice game was poorly attended by (at a guess) around 400 members.
    There were some activities for the children, the Barkers cafe was well stocked and the players made themselves available for photo opportunities plus for long term footy nerds like me I saw one of the best training sessions I have ever seen and a quality practice game which has whetted my appetite for the season ahead.
    All-in-all I suspect this was well received by those who attended but there should have been a lot more members there when compared to previous years.

I caught up with a couple of WOOF members who were there and said hello to a few of the fans that I have gotten to know over the years. The WOOF members yesterday are rightly optimistic about our chances in 2020 but a few of the members I talked to were vastly more cautious and less than enthusiastic.
    To be fair though they haven't been logging on here and getting expert analysis from the likes of MJP, Bulldogtragic, Bornadog, Mofra, Bulldog Joe, Go_Dogs, Axe Man, Twodogs and a host of others. Apologies to those I have missed but I can't name everyone.

One of the fans I have been seeing at the club training sessions over the years is a real character called Cath who was linked to the Bulldogs Taskforce supporter group who I don't think exist anymore but I might be wrong. She is a very friendly and approachable lady and tries to meet as many people at the training sessions as she can and yesterday was no exception.
    Many of you who go to the occasional training session have probably met her.
    Over the years Cath attended training each week or as many as she could get to and then send out a bit of a news letter to those privileged to be on her mailing list and she signed off on those emails with 'Doggie Cath' with a red, white and blue signature which always a nice touch.
    I was one of the first to enter the ground yesterday and was delighted to see her again and have a quick talk.
    Later I saw her chatting away to people and of course taking notes so I suspect she might still be sending the occasional email now.

It's fair to say she is an older lady and she's always been as passionate about the Dogs as anyone I have ever met. She mentioned to me that she is just a 3 game member now and she also said she's lost a bit of passion for going to the games over the last couple of years. Now she might have trouble finding someone to go to the games with her consistently and her age might be a factor as well etc but I must admit I felt more than a bit sorry to hear that she had lost some of the passion to attend the games.

When someone like Cath is lacking a bit of passion for the game it's a worrying sign for me. We do spend so much time and effort to attract new members I wonder if there is a way of reaching out and providing some support for our older members who played such a significant part in make the Footscray/Western Bulldogs the best damn sporting club in Australia?

When I mentioned to her that I thought we were in for a big year, Cath immediately sparked up. I said "I might be optimistic but everything I'm seeing is indicating a top four finish this year Cath" I sensed that is what she wanted to hear but more importantly needed to hear.

It struck me then but perhaps we haven't been strong enough in talking up our chances and it might be one of the reasons why our membership numbers are just a bit light on at the moment when compared to our ambitious 50K target.
    Perhaps we need to go hard about our chances and be bold enough to even fall short of the mark. It's no good spruiking false hope for the sake of it, our members won't buy that anyway, but I do think there is a level of complacency out there with our membership base that needs a spark and I think we are a genuinely strong chance to be right in the mix come the end of the season.

Maybe the WOOF members could start talking up our chances to other Western Bulldog fans and create a bit more excitement around the WB community? We are getting close to the first home and away game of the year which is exciting for me but I'm not sensing it with our fans at the moment.

It's time to start talking it up. Who's with me?
    I have retweeted your tweet G. Hopefully more doggie supporters will do so too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have retweeted your tweet G. Hopefully more doggie supporters will do so too.
    Thanks and appreciated BFL, I suspect though that 'retweeting' and 'liking' doesn't quite get the message out there strongly.
    It needs to be a common theme from our members 'talking up' our chances for the season ahead.
    Liking a tweet that says we will finish in the top 4 is not the same as also joining in and saying we will finish in the top 4 for so many people on Twitter. The comments tend to invite other comments which helps build momentum, the likes and retweets get a nod of the head for those that read it but it doesn't necessarily excite them to take it further and taking it further is what is needed.

If anyone genuinely wants to talk up our chances then if you have time I encourage you all to write something positive on Twitter or respond to the efforts of others. We won't quite get the momentum we want with some thumbs up acknowledgement. I don't want this to sound harsh for anyone and it's certainly not my intention but I think that is what really works
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks and appreciated BFL, I suspect though that 'retweeting' and 'liking' doesn't quite get the message out there strongly.
    It needs to be a common theme from our members 'talking up' our chances for the season ahead.
    Liking a tweet that says we will finish in the top 4 is not the same as also joining in and saying we will finish in the top 4 for so many people on Twitter. The comments tend to invite other comments which helps build momentum, the likes and retweets get a nod of the head for those that read it but it doesn't necessarily excite them to take it further and taking it further is what is needed.

If anyone genuinely wants to talk up our chances then if you have time I encourage you all to write something positive on Twitter or respond to the efforts of others. We won't quite get the momentum we want with some thumbs up acknowledgement. I don't want this to sound harsh for anyone and it's certainly not my intention but I think that is what really works
    Good points. Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Taken your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    A week or so back on SEN the Saints were advertising a two for one season ticket. Buy one get two.
    They were doing that on Trade Radio last year too. Their 'real' number would not be nearly as good. I don't think we should compare ourselves to them.

G is right though. There's something of a lack of genuine buzz about our club or chances by those predisposed to occasionally buying memberships. I don't think any of us can change it in a meaningful way. The club had made big strides in member engagement and multi media productions. It might just be me, but my genuine belief that the 'Captain Bontempelli Years' will be the best we've ever had is based on analysis and conversing on WOOF. The clubs engagement, PR machine and media to me seems like we've missed an opportunity. I think the clubs PR Manager, Membership Manager & Digital Content folks are the ones that need to spruiking harder.

I do struggle to comprehend that with Bruce, Keath, Weightman and others, and all the myriad good news that unsigned members (or 'fans') aren't joining. Maybe being a 'prime time' club means you can sit at home without paying your dues to the club you 'love'?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They were doing that on Trade Radio last year too. Their 'real' number would not be nearly as good. I don't think we should compare ourselves to them.

G is right though. There's something of a lack of genuine buzz about our club or chances by those predisposed to occasionally buying memberships. I don't think any of us can change it in a meaningful way. The club had made big strides in member engagement and multi media productions. It might just be me, but my genuine belief that the 'Captain Bontempelli Years' will be the best we've ever had is based on analysis and conversing on WOOF. The clubs engagement, PR machine and media to me seems like we've missed an opportunity. I think the clubs PR Manager, Membership Manager & Digital Content folks are the ones that need to spruiking harder.

I do struggle to comprehend that with Bruce, Keath, Weightman and others, and all the myriad good news that unsigned members (or 'fans') aren't joining. Maybe being a 'prime time' club means you can sit at home without paying your dues to the club you 'love'?
    BT great observations and thanks for sharing. Regarding the point I highlighted I think this is something that can be positively influenced by others because so many people genuinely hate missing out.

We are a prime time club as well especially if our fans look at the draw for 2020. We have plenty of Friday night games including Good Friday, we have plenty of Saturday night games as well. These are the things that we all thought were the only thing holding us back for many years. We wanted a stronger list so we addressed it at the end of the year by getting two quality bookends
    We are good at making profits as well and we have a great Prez and coach. What more do people need?

While the 'Field of Dreams' moniker of 'If you build it they will come" hasn't quite panned out yet it might be if enough of us can drag some of the others along for the ride.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

BT great observations and thanks for sharing. Regarding the point I highlighted I think this is something that can be positively influenced by others because so many people genuinely hate missing out.

We are a prime time club as well especially if our fans look at the draw for 2020. We have plenty of Friday night games including Good Friday, we have plenty of Saturday night games as well. These are the things that we all thought were the only thing holding us back for many years. We wanted a stronger list so we addressed it at the end of the year by getting two quality bookends
    We are good at making profits as well and we have a great Prez and coach. What more do people need?

While the 'Field of Dreams' moniker of 'If you build it they will come" hasn't quite panned out yet it might be if enough of us can drag some of the others along for the ride.
    A decent sizedish foot up the arse?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The opening 3 games will have a big impact. If we carry on from last years final few games and get some handsome wins on board it will tip the scales.
    We don't need a struggle win , we need a controlled ones.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm intruiged by this, because I'd say there have been more positive media articles about us this summer than many I can remember - we've had the new recruits, the draftees, the players who are about to break out. Additionally, we've got a new captain (who is coming off a player of the year award) and realistic expectations to be a top 4 side. There has been a huge amount written - albeit most of the articles are puff pieces not substantive.

I spoke to a colleague at work who went last Friday (paid for a ticket not realising she and her partner could've scanned in with their memberships) and she is as optimistic as most here. All opposition supporters I'm speaking to are talking us up, too.

A few big wins to start the year will make some difference, but I can't suggest the club hasn't done enough...

Post Thanks / Like

Almost everything supporters have wanted the club has delivered. Prime Time big time and a block buster game back, re-signing all our guns, Bont as captain, Hemsworth helping bring some buzz, the best KPD & KPF actually traded last year, keeping pick 13 and addressing a need, more profits, Jamarra already on the hook with other priority access kids, Ballarat turning out well with other commercial successes. Etc. Etc. Etc. If people need to see wins, other than smashing North last week and our stars in the SOO then you're not looking for a reason to join, you're actually looking for a reason not to join. If it's not a financial matter which everyone can understand with the nature of the economy and rampant underemployment, then just say you don't want to be a part of the ride. You just want to watch the ride.

I let my social club go and in 2016 i had real fear I wouldn't be able to attend with the coroporate tickets sold out. By luck, most of us without a SC/coterie etc got in. I actually renewed social club for 2017 on the Monday after the prelim and I'm not giving it up. But then the rush for social club memberships came in and a lot of members couldn't get one. Then we had a poor 2017 and social club memberships were available again...

The reason I have told this story, is our members (including me for a while) seem to have things back to front. We want social club memberships AFTER the Grand Final (even paying a nominal fee to be on a waiting list), and are not signing up as members of SCs BEFORE the next Grand Final. It's illogical when you think about it for a bit. Wait until we start winning and then people on social media sulking they can't get SC added on...

It makes no sense to me the low number. On any level. The club could've performed better this year, per my last post. But that doesn't explain what's going on. And we are not Desperados like St Kilda giving away memberships for free. But it is, what it is and I'm not worried. I have my membership and social club, so I have finals tickets and a Grand Final ticket at our next shot. I honestly believe 'The Captain Bontempelli Years' will be the best most of us will ever see. So let us die hards enjoy the ride that ownership/membership gives you, while the other 200,000 club fans come out for the Grand Final Parade.

So let's enjoy the 2020 ride and hope the club can overcome its own fans indifference that impacts our bottom line. I can't wait for the year with the cherry on top being grabbing Jamarra, Raak, MacPherson & (if I have my way) Zac Williams. There's just never been a better time to be a member.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Prince Imperial, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So let's enjoy the 2020 ride and hope the club can overcome its own fans indifference that impacts our bottom line. I can't wait for the year with the cherry on top being grabbing Jamarra, Raak, MacPherson & (if I have my way) Zac Williams. There's just never been a better time to be a member.
    Yep, it really is a matter of 'build it and they will come' with our supporter group. If things go the way I hope the do, the bandwagon will be bursting by year end.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I had a quick look at the other clubs that struggle to get members and we have North around 32k, Melbourne 34k and Saints are now over 41k. The Saints are an interesting one as I believe they have a huge supporter base and come out of the wood work when the club is winning and looks like they feel the Saints are on the verge of some success.
    I don't agree that the Saints have a huge supporter base. I know these figures aren't 100% accurate (not sure how 72,000 people just stop supporting us in a year?) but they probably give an indication of supporter levels:

Link

Our supporter numbers are fairly similar to St Kilda's and higher than Melbourne and North.

Our conversion rate of supporters to members of 15.9% isn't bad but is well behind Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn and North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't agree that the Saints have a huge supporter base. I know these figures aren't 100% accurate (not sure how 72,000 people just stop supporting us in a year?) but they probably give an indication of supporter levels:

Link

Our supporter numbers are fairly similar to St Kilda's and higher than Melbourne and North.

Our conversion rate of supporters to members of 15.9% isn't bad but is well behind Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn and North.
    I don't believe that graph or article by Roy Morgan? I can't see how they put that together without surveying every person in Australia.

Of course my assumption is on gut feel and no basis.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe that graph or article by Roy Morgan? I can't see how they put that together without surveying every person in Australia.

Of course my assumption is on gut feel and no basis.
    You get a statistically significant, representative sample and extrapolate. There'd be a margin of error because of course they can't survey everyone but it's probably accurate-ish enough to draw general conclusions.