Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  127
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 WB Membership Thread - Target 50,000

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I wonder what might be stopping some people from joining up early?
    Finances? Or just our apathetic supporter base
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Finances? Or just our apathetic supporter base
    There has to be a few reasons why but I'm not sure what they might be

Did winning the flag provide a reason for some to back off with their commitment just a bit?

I've been reaching out contacting inactive WOOF members over the last month or so and a lot of them ironically dropped off contributing or went into almost semi retirement from about March 2017.

Everyone is apparently time poor now and most just want to be readers of the forum so maybe from a WB membership perspective it's easier for people to listen to the radio and watch the footy on the television or check Twitter rather than committing to a number of home and away games.
    The tricky part is that other clubs aren't facing that challenge. AFL memberships are growing and the likes of the Saints have rallied their numbers even after some average performances.

Perplexing issue to say the least

I guess as long as we get good crowds attending games the membership numbers might not be the be all.

Perhaps a good old fashioned stoush with the AFL is in order? Nothing rallies the fans more than an us versus them campaign
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us (and much of the media) are very optimistic about our immediate on field prospects so it's hard to fathom. The only things I can think of are:
    - the Elimination Final belting brought back bad memories;
    - our AFLW numbers may be down due to the loss of so many of our best players in the last two seasons (though our home crowd on the weekend was so much better than what any of the big clubs get);
    - demographically we may disproportionately have a lot of elderly supporters who are passing away or not now able to attend games.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be great to see the $ generated not just raw numbers.

I'm an AFL member with club support - no idea how much of my $ go to the club.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    It would be great to see the $ generated not just raw numbers.

I'm an AFL member with club support - no idea how much of my $ go to the club.
    The club sets out the $ in its financial statements - last year it was $8m.

I recall reading a number of years ago the amount that the AFL gives to clubs and it was less than the price of a general admission membership. It was a key reason that I dropped my own AFL membership and invested in a reserved seat social club membership to ensure that my money went directly to the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't joined yet, that's because I'm a do things at the last minute sort of person.

We have had an amazing off-season, with new recruits who wanted to play for us coming at the right price, and a changing of the guard in terms of captaincy. But, I just haven't picked up on the hype that's out there amongst the media being reciprocated through the clubs messaging. Perhaps I've had my head up my backside, which can happen, and missed it though I don't think that's the case.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we can still get 50K but looking a bit more difficult at this stage. A good start to the season would certainly help. I’m all signed up for 2020 Silver Reserve + EJ Whitten Social Club and also a member of the East West Bulldogs supporter group.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    A lot of us (and much of the media) are very optimistic about our immediate on field prospects so it's hard to fathom. The only things I can think of are:
    - the Elimination Final belting brought back bad memories;
    - our AFLW numbers may be down due to the loss of so many of our best players in the last two seasons (though our home crowd on the weekend was so much better than what any of the big clubs get);
    - demographically we may disproportionately have a lot of elderly supporters who are passing away or not now able to attend games.
    You would hope that given our history our members are made from sterner stuff than just one poor game in the finals might alter.
    If anything this has been spur for my expectations for 2020.

We have recruited well and addressed the gaps, perhaps we just haven't sold that story strongly enough

The one thing that has probably worked against us is the lack of actual engagement with the fans so far. Practice games and training sessions are a big part (well for me anyway) of following the club and so far it's been a struggle for the Melbourne based fans

Perhaps this weekend might be a spark

12. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of further points to the discussion.

For some reason yesterdays training session and practice game was poorly attended by (at a guess) around 400 members.
    There were some activities for the children, the Barkers cafe was well stocked and the players made themselves available for photo opportunities plus for long term footy nerds like me I saw one of the best training sessions I have ever seen and a quality practice game which has whetted my appetite for the season ahead.
    All-in-all I suspect this was well received by those who attended but there should have been a lot more members there when compared to previous years.

I caught up with a couple of WOOF members who were there and said hello to a few of the fans that I have gotten to know over the years. The WOOF members yesterday are rightly optimistic about our chances in 2020 but a few of the members I talked to were vastly more cautious and less than enthusiastic.
    To be fair though they haven't been logging on here and getting expert analysis from the likes of MJP, Bulldogtragic, Bornadog, Mofra, Bulldog Joe, Go_Dogs, Axe Man, Twodogs and a host of others. Apologies to those I have missed but I can't name everyone.

One of the fans I have been seeing at the club training sessions over the years is a real character called Cath who was linked to the Bulldogs Taskforce supporter group who I don't think exist anymore but I might be wrong. She is a very friendly and approachable lady and tries to meet as many people at the training sessions as she can and yesterday was no exception.
    Many of you who go to the occasional training session have probably met her.
    Over the years Cath attended training each week or as many as she could get to and then send out a bit of a news letter to those privileged to be on her mailing list and she signed off on those emails with 'Doggie Cath' with a red, white and blue signature which always a nice touch.
    I was one of the first to enter the ground yesterday and was delighted to see her again and have a quick talk.
    Later I saw her chatting away to people and of course taking notes so I suspect she might still be sending the occasional email now.

It's fair to say she is an older lady and she's always been as passionate about the Dogs as anyone I have ever met. She mentioned to me that she is just a 3 game member now and she also said she's lost a bit of passion for going to the games over the last couple of years. Now she might have trouble finding someone to go to the games with her consistently and her age might be a factor as well etc but I must admit I felt more than a bit sorry to hear that she had lost some of the passion to attend the games.

When someone like Cath is lacking a bit of passion for the game it's a worrying sign for me. We do spend so much time and effort to attract new members I wonder if there is a way of reaching out and providing some support for our older members who played such a significant part in make the Footscray/Western Bulldogs the best damn sporting club in Australia?

When I mentioned to her that I thought we were in for a big year, Cath immediately sparked up. I said "I might be optimistic but everything I'm seeing is indicating a top four finish this year Cath" I sensed that is what she wanted to hear but more importantly needed to hear.

It struck me then but perhaps we haven't been strong enough in talking up our chances and it might be one of the reasons why our membership numbers are just a bit light on at the moment when compared to our ambitious 50K target.
    Perhaps we need to go hard about our chances and be bold enough to even fall short of the mark. It's no good spruiking false hope for the sake of it, our members won't buy that anyway, but I do think there is a level of complacency out there with our membership base that needs a spark and I think we are a genuinely strong chance to be right in the mix come the end of the season.

Maybe the WOOF members could start talking up our chances to other Western Bulldog fans and create a bit more excitement around the WB community? We are getting close to the first home and away game of the year which is exciting for me but I'm not sensing it with our fans at the moment.

It's time to start talking it up. Who's with me?

14. Thanks bornadog, The Adelaide Connection thanked for this post
    Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A couple of further points to the discussion.

For some reason yesterdays training session and practice game was poorly attended by (at a guess) around 400 members.
    There were some activities for the children, the Barkers cafe was well stocked and the players made themselves available for photo opportunities plus for long term footy nerds like me I saw one of the best training sessions I have ever seen and a quality practice game which has whetted my appetite for the season ahead.
    All-in-all I suspect this was well received by those who attended but there should have been a lot more members there when compared to previous years.

I caught up with a couple of WOOF members who were there and said hello to a few of the fans that I have gotten to know over the years. The WOOF members yesterday are rightly optimistic about our chances in 2020 but a few of the members I talked to were vastly more cautious and less than enthusiastic.
    To be fair though they haven't been logging on here and getting expert analysis from the likes of MJP, Bulldogtragic, Bornadog, Mofra, Bulldog Joe, Go_Dogs, Axe Man, Twodogs and a host of others. Apologies to those I have missed but I can't name everyone.

One of the fans I have been seeing at the club training sessions over the years is a real character called Cath who was linked to the Bulldogs Taskforce supporter group who I don't think exist anymore but I might be wrong. She is a very friendly and approachable lady and tries to meet as many people at the training sessions as she can and yesterday was no exception.
    Many of you who go to the occasional training session have probably met her.
    Over the years Cath attended training each week or as many as she could get to and then send out a bit of a news letter to those privileged to be on her mailing list and she signed off on those emails with 'Doggie Cath' with a red, white and blue signature which always a nice touch.
    I was one of the first to enter the ground yesterday and was delighted to see her again and have a quick talk.
    Later I saw her chatting away to people and of course taking notes so I suspect she might still be sending the occasional email now.

It's fair to say she is an older lady and she's always been as passionate about the Dogs as anyone I have ever met. She mentioned to me that she is just a 3 game member now and she also said she's lost a bit of passion for going to the games over the last couple of years. Now she might have trouble finding someone to go to the games with her consistently and her age might be a factor as well etc but I must admit I felt more than a bit sorry to hear that she had lost some of the passion to attend the games.

When someone like Cath is lacking a bit of passion for the game it's a worrying sign for me. We do spend so much time and effort to attract new members I wonder if there is a way of reaching out and providing some support for our older members who played such a significant part in make the Footscray/Western Bulldogs the best damn sporting club in Australia?

When I mentioned to her that I thought we were in for a big year, Cath immediately sparked up. I said "I might be optimistic but everything I'm seeing is indicating a top four finish this year Cath" I sensed that is what she wanted to hear but more importantly needed to hear.

It struck me then but perhaps we haven't been strong enough in talking up our chances and it might be one of the reasons why our membership numbers are just a bit light on at the moment when compared to our ambitious 50K target.
    Perhaps we need to go hard about our chances and be bold enough to even fall short of the mark. It's no good spruiking false hope for the sake of it, our members won't buy that anyway, but I do think there is a level of complacency out there with our membership base that needs a spark and I think we are a genuinely strong chance to be right in the mix come the end of the season.

Maybe the WOOF members could start talking up our chances to other Western Bulldog fans and create a bit more excitement around the WB community? We are getting close to the first home and away game of the year which is exciting for me but I'm not sensing it with our fans at the moment.

It's time to start talking it up. Who's with me?

Me. I've been talking us up on Twitter.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Great post G
    Will say that Saturday morning kid sports take a bit of the crowd away though
    Lot of parents then get the shopping out the way on a Saturday after that as well
    I’m disappointed we haven’t gone ahead of Stkilda In membership to be honest
    We seem to have a lot of “ see how they go” members sadly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Great post G
    Will say that Saturday morning kid sports take a bit of the crowd away though
    Lot of parents then get the shopping out the way on a Saturday after that as well
    I’m disappointed we haven’t gone ahead of Stkilda In membership to be honest
    We seem to have a lot of “ see how they go” members sadly
    Remi good point about the timing, Saturday early morning training is not ideal. I think the club would have been better off calling it family day and incorporating the practise match with various family day activities.

On GVGjr post - great post. I am really struggling after all these years to understand why our members are so reluctant to commit to the club until they see if we are going well or not.

I had a quick look at the other clubs that struggle to get members and we have North around 32k, Melbourne 34k and Saints are now over 41k. The Saints are an interesting one as I believe they have a huge supporter base and come out of the wood work when the club is winning and looks like they feel the Saints are on the verge of some success.

Back to GVGjr's post - Sad to see some older members not as passionate as they once were. maybe there needs to be a special membership category for the older supporters with some extra rewards on game day, or something and make them feel more part of the club.

Hopefully we do live up to our own hype on here, and then supporters start to buy memberships.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Saints fans are riding the wave of being big players in the trade period, along with getting rid of Richo. It's the 'new car smell' that's drawing them in.

Our secret squirrel approach to pre-season doesn't help build hype but once we start performing, the johnny come lately types will sign up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Remi good point about the timing, Saturday early morning training is not ideal. I think the club would have been better off calling it family day and incorporating the practise match with various family day activities.

On GVGjr post - great post. I am really struggling after all these years to understand why our members are so reluctant to commit to the club until they see if we are going well or not.

I had a quick look at the other clubs that struggle to get members and we have North around 32k, Melbourne 34k and Saints are now over 41k. The Saints are an interesting one as I believe they have a huge supporter base and come out of the wood work when the club is winning and looks like they feel the Saints are on the verge of some success.

Back to GVGjr's post - Sad to see some older members not as passionate as they once were. maybe there needs to be a special membership category for the older supporters with some extra rewards on game day, or something and make them feel more part of the club.

Hopefully we do live up to our own hype on here, and then supporters start to buy memberships.
    There are no good times for a practice game and training session's. Do it later in the day and then it's potentially weather conditions that will make it harder for the players and some fans.
    Unfortunately the early starts gives us the best chance for those who have the time in their calendar to see the players in full swing like we did yesterday. It wasn't a half arsed effort and the fans saw the players at close to their best.

Regarding the older members and fans, upon reflection I wonder with some of the likely lower attended games through the year if there is an opportunity to close off a section and invite them to sit with other like minded and long term fans in an organised manner?
    I sense they are probably over sitting alongside of mouthy opposition supporters and the chance to sit alongside of our supporters might appeal to them. Just a thought though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Saints fans are riding the wave of being big players in the trade period, along with getting rid of Richo. It's the 'new car smell' that's drawing them in.

Our secret squirrel approach to pre-season doesn't help build hype but once we start performing, the johnny come lately types will sign up.
    It basically comes down to Hill and Howard vs Bruce and Keath so given our top eight finish last year and the ongoing positive message in the media at the moment but I agree with you that there is a potential that we haven't sold the story as well as we might have.

It's why I think we can all do our bit, perhaps on Twitter, and just talk up our chances a bit. Some might just need a bit of prompting to awake from their slumber.