Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  121
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Keath

Post Thanks / Like

Alex Keath

Surprised we don't have a seperate thread for Alex Keath.

VERY interesting article in The Age this morning.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...07-p52ygf.html

Adelaide were compelled to operate on defender Alex Keath to repair a stress fracture in his leg in order for his trade to the Western Bulldogs to go through.

Keath will start his Bulldogs career on the injury list, after medical examinations by two different clubs revealed an injury which they believed required surgery.

Adelaide were aware of the injury but believed it didn’t require surgical intervention and instead were planning to manage it differently if Keath stayed at the Crows.

Keath has since had recent surgery and will be unable to train for at least three months.

Despite both the Bulldogs and St Kilda finding a crack in his lower shin, Keath, who was just about to take off on an overseas holiday, had been given a training program by Adelaide that included running.

That holiday has now been cancelled and Keath won’t be able to begin pre-season training until late January at the earliest.

Adelaide were aware of the issue during the season, where a scan prior to the round 18 clash with Essendon identified a stress fracture.

He played one more game for Adelaide, ironically against the Western Bulldogs in round 23. He failed to play that game out after limping off with an unrelated knee injury.

He was then scanned again after the season and the Crows began a conservative approach to rehabilitating the injury after his shin showed signs of improvement.

But both St Kilda and the Bulldogs have confirmed to The Age that their medical teams believed Keath required immediate surgery.

Once the Bulldogs identified the fracture last month, they advised Keath that he would need to have a pin put in his lower leg to justify their contract offer to him.

Keath and his management then returned to Adelaide, where they advised the Crows who, against their own judgment, decided to go ahead with the surgery.

Keath is a contracted Adelaide player until the end of October, meaning all costs associated with his surgery and subsequent treatment will be paid for by his current club.

The revelation has diluted his trade value in the eyes of the Bulldogs, who will now try to attain his services in exchange for something in the realm a third round pick.

Keath’s injury was being managed by well renowned fitness guru Steve Saunders, who joined the Crows high performance team on a full time basis this year, having previously operated as a consultant.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alex Keath

Relevant trade quotes from the article:

Adelaide had initially attempted to acquire the Bulldogs first pick – currently 13 – by giving them Keath and one of their second round picks (currently 23 and 28).

The Crows had hoped to leverage the Bulldogs’ desire to sign Saints forward Josh Bruce, hence offering them Keath and a second round pick, which the Dogs could give to the Saints for Bruce.

But sources at the Bulldogs told The Age that their prized first pick was not for sale at any price, adamant it will be turned into a Dogs player in the national draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think there is a silver lining in this for us - Keath should come a little bit cheaper now, and with a 2nd rounder and 3 x 3rd rounders we should be able to turn those four picks into two picks that satisfy St Kilda and Adelaide.

If we can keep pick 13 plus add Keath and Bruce that is an outstanding result.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam McClure: Alex Keath has done a medical at the Bulldogs and the Saints and they assessed he needed surgery. The Crows said he didn't need surgery. He had the operation last week and now he's out for four months. I think this has diluted his trade value a little bit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam McClure: Alex Keath has done a medical at the Bulldogs and the Saints and they assessed he needed surgery. The Crows said he didn't need surgery. He had the operation last week and now he's out for four months. I think this has diluted his trade value a little bit.
    As it should.

As an aside, getting the surgery done now means Adelaide pay for it

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As it should.

As an aside, getting the surgery done now means Adelaide pay for it
    I don't understand how two medical teams say he needs surgery, yet another one says he doesn't.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Said it elsewhere, they should take the third rounder now and move on. If his first six months is rehab and VFL to get match fit, that about $275,000 in salary. To him that's fine, but to Adelaide, we pay the salary but you pay with a reduced trade. This should be simple enough if they have any common sense.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I like that we’re holding on to #13.

Will be very chuffed to get Keith and Bruce, and keep #13.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade Radio:

Sam McClure: The Bulldogs will play hard ball now that Alex Keath has had surgery. I think he's gone from a second-round to a third-round pick.

#AFLTrade
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While we are all standing around patting each other on the back should we take time to think about whether we actually want a banged up 27 yo KPD? It's great that Adelaide pays for his surgery and all but what are the chances we are just investing in half a lemon instead of a whole one and that the back end of his 4 year contract is spent sitting in the medical rooms at Whitten Oval?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    While we are all standing around patting each other on the back should we take time to think about whether we actually want a banged up 27 yo KPD? It's great that Adelaide pays for his surgery and all but what are the chances we are just investing in half a lemon instead of a whole one and that the back end of his 4 year contract is spent sitting in the medical rooms at Whitten Oval?
    It's a bone injury, not a soft tissue injury. I'm comfortable with it.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We want him - and I dont think he's a lemon

I'd be happy for our club to pay for his surgery, but Im not sure this plays well for the Crows - they encourage one of their players to keep playing with a leg fracture knowing they arent going to re-sign him and will be trading a player who will have no pre-season at their next club.

Im not sure this leads to Crows players and player managers trusting their medical advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It's a bone injury, not a soft tissue injury. I'm comfortable with it.
    I’ve heard they are going to give him a pint of Dale Morris’s blood. Will be running tomorrow. Likely to play forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I’ve heard they are going to give him a pint of Dale Morris’s blood. Will be running tomorrow. Likely to play forever.
    Dale is still rehabbing from his knee reco to get it right. I'd guess Dale will be in or around the rehab group with Alex Keath over summer. A couple of months spending a heap of time with Dale, is a silver lining for Keath and his ongoing development as a KPD.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Keathy George has done himself a mischief. Off to the sick bay for Keathy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"