Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Radio 5.05pm Today

Western Bulldogs list analysis and conversation. For those interested.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Radio 5.05pm Today

Between the inane chatter amongst the hosts and the advertising onslaught every 5 minutes, I'm trying to avoid Trade Radio at all costs so a summary for those brave enough to listen would be much appreciated.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes 1eyedog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Between the inane chatter amongst the hosts and the advertising onslaught every 5 minutes, I'm trying to avoid Trade Radio at all costs so a summary for those brave enough to listen would be much appreciated.
    Having to endure Trade Radio advertising is akin to sitting through those pre-show low budget local ads in regional cinemas, waiting for the show to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you know tradies have soap now!!?? *!*!*!*!ing incredible!!! Thanks Trade Radio.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing of particular interest from Terry. Positive about us. Saw the same weaknesses we all did (KPD, KPF, Small Forward) and happy with the 2 fixes we have lined up.

Asked the question on Schache (where does he fit with Bruce) but was off in his assessment of his weaknesses (work rate). Also thought the imbalance in our B&F was unhealthy with the top 3 being so far beyond the rest. Elements of truth to that but the way I see it many players missed a half year though injury or otherwise that might otherwise have finished higher and may finish higher in the future (Caleb, Libba, Lippa etc).

Was also harsher on Trengove that I would have expected. Grouped him with Fletcher Roberts as 'found out at the higher level'

7. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO, bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also said we haven’t replaced Picken... (the guy who retired 6 months ago...)

Each year I hope the self called ‘list manager’ will go beyond some obvious stuff and not show an ignorance of our list. There’s always next year.

I didn’t know tradies buy, knew about or use soap. Thanks trade radio.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Also said we haven’t replaced Picken... (the guy who retired 6 months ago...)

Each year I hope the self called ‘list manager’ will go beyond some obvious stuff and not show an ignorance of our list. There’s always next year.

I didn’t know tradies buy, knew about or use soap. Thanks trade radio.
    I thought he summed up our list pretty well. What do you think he missed?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I thought he summed up our list pretty well. What do you think he missed?
    Ruck. He said he thought JT was found out at the higher level. So believing that, we have a raw ruckman whose played no AFEL games in Sweet and the super impressive but young ruckman in English, and no one else. Perhaps he could've fleshed out whether we need a Zac Smith or Tom Nicholls ruck insurance or just go without if English gets injured.

Tall Forwards. To accuse Josh Schache of lacking in work rate demonstrates a lack of watching our games. To create or perpetuate this myth to the people listening is a disservice to Josh. He also said only two tall forwards would play together. Sam Power is already on the record as saying the view is that all Schache, Bruce & Naughton play together as they are different types. Sam pointed out Josh's endurance running in that interview.

Small forwards. Just picked a small forward at random to me, could've easily been Sam Gray. Being we chased hard after Jack Martin and were obviously prepared to trade aggressively and pay 5 X $700,000, some conversation about whether we'd go at another better quality small forward might have been worth a sentence than what scraps are left on the trade floor.

Money. Per above, it looks like Pick 13 will be in tact and a $700,000 X 5 contract, and the willingness to be intelligently aggressive. Some other names about who would improve our list. If JT & Fletch have been found out, that leaves us with Keath, Le Young & Cordy. That's not enough. Should we join the race on Dougal Howard if JT is clogging the list (in his opinion)?

List balance. I know he referenced Libba & Wally. But if we have a glut of inside midfielders that he identifies, should we just hold them to the end of their contracts or trade them now while they have value?

Draft Points. We need a shit ton of them for next year. Are we doing anything this year about it?

Broader list management. This trade period isn't in a vacuum. Does acquiring Ugle-Hagan, Stevens, MacPherson &/or Raak as priority access players and the types of players they are impact what we do this year?

Outs. Clearly he doesn't think Roberts is worth persisting with. He mentioned we haven't replaced Picken, well we haven't a proper chance to do it... We've lost Morris, who replaces him, with Roberts also gone and JT no good. Three out/no good only Keath in. Tom Boyd with Redpath gone a year early. Is it just Bruce covering both outs? What about Tory Dickson? You can't call for Dan Butler to come in and not tell us what the plan for Tory is, in a detailed assessment.

That's just off the top of my head. All that stuff would've been interesting to have insights on beyond what was to me pretty basic stuff.

11. Thanks azabob, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn BT you certainly laid the smack down on me there.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Damn BT you certainly laid the smack down on me there.
    Nah Aza. It's on the guy who calls himself the 'list manager' whose getting paid to do this kind of stuff. You'd think if there's one list he'd know (assuming he watches our games, and I'm now doubting he does) that he'd be able to give a really good assessment on, it would be ours. But not to be.

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ruck. He said he thought JT was found out at the higher level. So believing that, we have a raw ruckman whose played no AFEL games in Sweet and the super impressive but young ruckman in English, and no one else. Perhaps he could've fleshed out whether we need a Zac Smith or Tom Nicholls ruck insurance or just go without if English gets injured.

Tall Forwards. To accuse Josh Schache of lacking in work rate demonstrates a lack of watching our games. To create or perpetuate this myth to the people listening is a disservice to Josh. He also said only two tall forwards would play together. Sam Power is already on the record as saying the view is that all Schache, Bruce & Naughton play together as they are different types. Sam pointed out Josh's endurance running in that interview.

Small forwards. Just picked a small forward at random to me, could've easily been Sam Gray. Being we chased hard after Jack Martin and were obviously prepared to trade aggressively and pay 5 X $700,000, some conversation about whether we'd go at another better quality small forward might have been worth a sentence than what scraps are left on the trade floor.

Money. Per above, it looks like Pick 13 will be in tact and a $700,000 X 5 contract, and the willingness to be intelligently aggressive. Some other names about who would improve our list. If JT & Fletch have been found out, that leaves us with Keath, Le Young & Cordy. That's not enough. Should we join the race on Dougal Howard if JT is clogging the list (in his opinion)?

List balance. I know he referenced Libba & Wally. But if we have a glut of inside midfielders that he identifies, should we just hold them to the end of their contracts or trade them now while they have value?

Draft Points. We need a shit ton of them for next year. Are we doing anything this year about it?

Broader list management. This trade period isn't in a vacuum. Does acquiring Ugle-Hagan, Stevens, MacPherson &/or Raak as priority access players and the types of players they are impact what we do this year?

Outs. Clearly he doesn't think Roberts is worth persisting with. He mentioned we haven't replaced Picken, well we haven't a proper chance to do it... We've lost Morris, who replaces him, with Roberts also gone and JT no good. Three out/no good only Keath in. Tom Boyd with Redpath gone a year early. Is it just Bruce covering both outs? What about Tory Dickson? You can't call for Dan Butler to come in and not tell us what the plan for Tory is, in a detailed assessment.

That's just off the top of my head. All that stuff would've been interesting to have insights on beyond what was to me pretty basic stuff.
    You wanna start a YT channel? I can be the guy that asks you questions and drink beer and stuff and you can be the list manager?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes azabob, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You wanna start a YT channel? I can be the guy that asks you questions and drink beer and stuff and you can be the list manager?
    Now there's an idea. But only if we can full Joe Rogan and sip scotch and smoke cigars while doing it.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with him on Trengove but if you were an impartial viewer who isn’t invested some of his errors would stick in your mind. I can see how that error gets made.

Schache is similar and I think Plough maybe just used the wrong term. He may post good numbers from a running perspective but is always seemingly gassed when the ball is around him. Work rate isn’t only being able to lead at one pace continuously. I would say Plough is referring to his inability to keep the ball in his direct area through 2nd, 3rd efforts, ability to defend in close eg:tackle, close space quickly. He also struggles to close exits quickly if the ball leaves an area with pace.

Schache has made massive gains in all of these areas but to say it’s not still a concern would be wrong in my view. He just needs to keep getting the footy and making himself dangerous enough to compensate while continuing to work on this.

Agree that in general I don’t think Plough looks as deeply into lists or individual performances as he should.

20. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d argue that Schache has replaced Redpath, and Naughton’s move forward covers Boyd, with Bruce additional cover. Albeit we’re vulnerable in the ruck.

Getting Bruce in sorts us for KPFs.

Post Thanks / Like

This, but for every time I turn on Trade Radio.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status...072675328?s=20

Wonder if they're considering installing one over at Windy Hill.
    BORDERLINE FLYING