Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: West Coast

Post Thanks / Like

West Coast

West Coast 100% $hit me but they are a well run club.

To get the Kelly deal done in a couple of days? That's good going. It looks and sounds like they had a very clear idea of what he was worth, they made an offer and quickly worked through negotiations (including bringing a 3rd club into the negotiations).

I am annoyed by them and their very selfish actions over here at least once each week during the season. They treat the talent pathway and state league as their personal play ground, use and abuse the rules to their own advantage and give no quarter.

If I was Kelly I would have nominated West Coast as well - you would have confidence that they would 'get it done' and confidence that if they promised something during negotiations, they would deliver it.

What other clubs are in this category? I feel like there is nothing but empty posturing from every other club...and we can blame the journos I guess, but stories like the Mason Cox one 100% come from 'somewhere'...where do you hear those sort of stories about the Eagles?

I am annoyed by all of this btw.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes hujsh, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast

Good on them. They heard Geelong's early demand of two first rounders and a bit more and said to Kelly we're not going to dick you around we'll pay it and we'll make it happen early. Decisive trading. Kelly is worth it though and they know it.

Different geography to you so the same doesn't apply but I would much rather West Coast win the flag than any other Victorian club (aside from us of course).
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To get the Kelly deal done in a couple of days?
    I heard Kelly's manager today and he said they have been working on the deal for a few weeks. As soon as Kelly made up his mind, they started. He has managed Kelly since he was a teenager.

He also said Kelly grew up a West Coast fan and his favourite player was Judd.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I heard Kelly's manager today and he said they have been working on the deal for a few weeks. As soon as Kelly made up his mind, they started. He has managed Kelly since he was a teenager.

He also said Kelly grew up a West Coast fan and his favourite player was Judd.
    Well they have had all year to sort it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely last years pick 20 and 21 were better options than this years 14 and 23... even with next years first rounder rolled in - they’d have 2 extra gun young players w 2 preseasons under their belt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Well they have had all year to sort it.
    I think this is simplistic.

99% of trades are done when the clubs have had weeks/months to work it out. It isn't like they dont know how players are valued. But 99% of trades get held up/caught up in red tape, negotiation and dishonesty.

Does anyone really get 'done over' any more? People will argue the Weller trade (Gold Coast) but to me a young, skilled player who WANTED to be there was worth pretty much any price...it just so happens that Weller was worth a hell of a lot more to GC than he was to Freo. Then again, how exactly has that worked out for Freo?

I guess I just have a grudging admiration for the way they did this. Everyone KNEW he was going to get to West Coast because they are West Coast. Did they give up a lot? Sure. But have a look back at the most recent pick 14 and 24's...unless Geelong pick the next Tim Kelly (the only pick 14 or 24 over the last 4 years who is worth more than a pinch of ...) then West Coast have paid a fair price. And the Cats (to their credit) have done a fair deal.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right it is simplistic but as you know it's the player managers to keep in contact with list managers all the time. I think, hearing what I did on the periphery, West Coast were going to cough up two first rounders and a bit more for for him and, given the ease with which this trade went through, they told Geelong early that this was going to be the case so let's get it done. But I hear you, trade discussion between two clubs, or more specifically a verbal agreement between two list managers leading up to the trade period, is still a long way short of a signed contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee whiz they are an interesting case study -premiership in 2018; now a basket case for a couple of years. Reports suggest they didn’t handle the 2020 hub at all.

I wonder what they will do.

Does Simpson stay or go? He seems very reluctant to trade out or retire his aging superstars. Do posters think he is similar to Bevo, loyal to a fault?

Clearly they have a huge age profile gap due to the fact of going all in after their GF win.

The Kelly trade now looks ok, but he has no support onfield either due to form or injury of their other stars.

This trade obviously sacrificed a couple of draft years which is now hurting them. Ginbey looks a real talent - mjp what are your thoughts on him?

If you were in their shoes would you split pick one or take the best kid?

Would you throw the farm at Naughton or English or someone else like Logan McDonald from Sydney.

For our WA posters are West Coast still arrogant AF? Are the local media turning on them ? Are their supporters calling for change?
    Last edited by azabob; 24-06-2023 at 12:41 PM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They went all in for a flag, and got it. Good on them for it.

Now they have players on the tail end of deals and it just crushes you for a year - NicNat, McGovern, Gaff, Shuey and Yeo all on big coin and not contributing anywhere near their contract price.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t understand them going all in on Naughton. Seems the exact opposite move they need right now. I like the hypothetical scenarios that throws up for discussion, but they need to rebuild and going after expensive contracted high value trades seems not something I’d like as a supporter of theirs. Especially the loose rumours of Pick 1 somehow involved. Surely it’s all baseless rumour as surely they just need to slowly rebuild.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

They should do a North Melbourne and trade pick 1 for two later first rounders and draft as many kids as they can. They need to slowly retire the older players out, as you can't get rid of too many at once.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the top end WA based draft year talent like at the moment? If you could split the first and get a couple of home grown highly rated guns that protects them from any perceived go home factor whilst they're ordinary.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Swans have kicked 18 goals on the trot. Currently 155 points down.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wow. Swans have kicked 18 goals on the trot. Currently 155 points down.
    Just checked the scores.

babywalkingingetsscaredwalksout.gif
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Just checked the scores.

babywalkingingetsscaredwalksout.gif
    Swans have now kicked over 200 points.

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post