Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: West Coast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How long before he is gone
    The week before we play them…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How long before he is gone

His is an old style contract and they will need to reach a settlement. All the scuttlebutt here is it is 2x years at AUD$1,000,000 per year + an exit payout and that will decimate their soft-cap...is it true? I have no idea but it's 'the word'.

I'm not as close to WC as I have been - changed WAFL clubs - but the talk has been very consistent on this point...Unless he resigns or agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Thanks bornadog, bulldogtragic, Dry Rot, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.
    Surely this is the most likely scenario.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

His is an old style contract and they will need to reach a settlement. All the scuttlebutt here is it is 2x years at AUD$1,000,000 per year + an exit payout and that will decimate their soft-cap...is it true? I have no idea but it's 'the word'.

I'm not as close to WC as I have been - changed WAFL clubs - but the talk has been very consistent on this point...Unless he resigns or agrees to a modified settlement then he will stay.
    That's what has been confirmed here as well. They can payout the 2M because they have the money to do so but they can't lose that from the soft cap. They're in a very different position to the way the Saints could pay out Ratten.

Something will give and I suspect they'll find a compromise.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Coming back to the original post ... in a two-team town, West Coast do it so much better than Freo (well, from an education perspective). West Coast Eagles ensure they get to virtually every Metro (and some country) primary school once a year. They do presentations, shows, giveaways, training sessions, sponsor a footy competition you name it. The mascot is at every show and the kids lap it up.
    Fremantle, on the other hand, do very little in the way of promotion. They give a trophy to the Freo cup winners and provide a coordinator to run it. Rarely, they'll do a school visit and you have to fill the mascot costume yourself, bottom line ... they are not into attracting potential members. I have tried many-a-time to get the Dockers to come to one of my schools (two of which were in the heart of Freo) to no avail. The Eagles were there the next week.
    WOOF Member 422

8. Thanks azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And by the way ... I am loving the current Eagles form and win-loss record. It's like all the Chardonay sippers have gone into hibernation.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Are the WA press still giving West Coast a free pass?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I know he is a professional, and a bloody well paid one, but it can't be enjoyable fronting up to the club each day knowing you don't have the levers to pull to help get the club competitive again. On top of that the media pressure would be intense.

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know he is a professional, and a bloody well paid one, but it can't be enjoyable fronting up to the club each day knowing you don't have the levers to pull to help get the club competitive again. On top of that the media pressure would be intense.
    Personally i love it in a work situation when its backs against the wall, makes the turn around much sweeter, and a great sense of achievement.

Lets be honest, its the WCE, they will inevitably turn it around and be a powerhouse again.

All depends on Adam personally if he has the energy and passion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Personally i love it in a work situation when its backs against the wall, makes the turn around much sweeter, and a great sense of achievement.

Lets be honest, its the WCE, they will inevitably turn it around and be a powerhouse again.

All depends on Adam personally if he has the energy and passion.
    This is such a public role though, would definitely be externally taxing on Adam and his family.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Who in their right mind would walk away from $1 million a year for a further 2 years (if his family are happy)? West Coke know they screwed up the list build post flag - can't blame them for going all chips in on another flag when they had Nic Nat, Sheppard and Gaff all out of their 2018 premiership team. In theory they should have been even better in 2019-2021, but unfortunately for them COVID and injuries/form issues with their senior core burned them badly. They also burned themselves with some terrible (in hindsight) list management decisions (long term big $$ contracts on perennially injured stars, getting Tim Kelly at maximum draft pick and $$ cost, topping up with questionable types like SPS, crap drafting).

If Simpson gets sacked now/end of the season, they are screwed with the soft cap until 2025 and it wont help them in the slightest on-field in any event. They need to urgently fix up list management, recruiting and fitness & conditioning first.

When push comes to shove, I thank them from the bottom of my heart for inflicting pain and heartache on the filth in 2018.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Who in their right mind would walk away from $1 million a year for a further 2 years (if his family are happy)? West Coke know they screwed up the list build post flag - can't blame them for going all chips in on another flag when they had Nic Nat, Sheppard and Gaff all out of their 2018 premiership team. In theory they should have been even better in 2019-2021, but unfortunately for them COVID and injuries/form issues with their senior core burned them badly. They also burned themselves with some terrible (in hindsight) list management decisions (long term big $$ contracts on perennially injured stars, getting Tim Kelly at maximum draft pick and $$ cost, topping up with questionable types like SPS, crap drafting).

If Simpson gets sacked now/end of the season, they are screwed with the soft cap until 2025 and it wont help them in the slightest on-field in any event. They need to urgently fix up list management, recruiting and fitness & conditioning first.

When push comes to shove, I thank them from the bottom of my heart for inflicting pain and heartache on the filth in 2018.
    Toyd.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic, azabob, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Toyd.
    And he handed over a million back!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

There are a few factors to this:
    He's been a big money earner for a long time so money, despite it being considerable, might not be an overwhelming consideration.
    If he leaves now there are very plausible reasons why they've bottomed out so he would still be employable with other clubs.
    Two years must be a daunting time to go to work if you aren't enjoying it especially for a results orientated career coach.

I suspect there will a reasonable pay out come the end of the season and from some reports the soft cap might be increased again for next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I suspect there will a reasonable pay out come the end of the season and from some reports the soft cap might be increased again for next season.
    This changes the equation somewhat, but only if Simpson is amenable to the idea and is happy to take a pretty big haircut. It's still a massive hit to the soft cap, which impacts their ability to rectify the very immediate areas that need urgent help the most (recruiting, list management, fitness/conditioning).

He may well be done by the end of 2025 as a senior coach and be happy to hand the reins over to the next coach once the rebuild has begun in full swing. I'm sure the powers that be at WC know where they stand (although not 171 points, which does have strong coach killer vibes).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"