Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  69
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda

Post Thanks / Like

Re: St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    2 leading goalscorers last year were Membrey (44) & Bruce (36). Next after that was Parker with 16. They have lost massively in the forward line and will struggle massively next year due to it.
    I think long term they will be better off but thats not what has been sold to their members
    This is how I'm leaning as well TD. There's quite an onus on Max King, and particularly with any risk that he carries coming off his previous ACL. Losing Bruce, at least in the short term may put more defensive pressure on Membrey. I guess to counter this though is that they have brought Ryder in which will ease the load on Marshall to do all the heavy lifting in the forward half. If both Ryder and Max King can play their part then they should be OK up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

The boom recruit from 12 months ago (Hanners) is in wars again having busted his leg slipping on some stairs at his sisters place.

Hardly an ideal situation for a player on big coin who couldn't get on the park this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The boom recruit from 12 months ago (Hanners) is in wars again having busted his leg slipping on some stairs at his sisters place.

Hardly an ideal situation for a player on big coin who couldn't get on the park this year.
    How unlucky and clumsy can one person be
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Proper analysis:

Outs X 12:

1. Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
    2. Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
    3. Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
    4. Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year, against his desire, he has been delisted and paid out. A casualty of winning the trade period.
    5. Jack Newnes, now going to Carlton.
    6. Paddy McCrtin
    7-12. Armitage, Longer, Pierce, Rowe, Rice, White (delisted)

They're paying about $2.5M to:

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary of $900,000.
    Ryder. If he's not cooked, he mustn't be far off cooked.
    Jones. Struggles to consistently kick the footy where he wants to.
    Butler. At the price ok.
    Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain about his ability and co sister you to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked (they couldn't get trade interest at almost giving him away), McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 27-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    How unlucky and clumsy can one person be
    Was mid morning but screams of being drunk...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Was mid morning but screams of being drunk...
    He comes across as a bloke who enjoys a refreshing drink every now and then. Like Homer said when Marge called him out for drinking daqarais at 3am "hey I like waking up smashed"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    AFL site rating Saints as having the #1 best trade period of all clubs and us at #3.
    https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16...out-draft-hand
    Given that Jack Stevens only cost pick 58 I would have negotiated for him for Dogs.
    He was only going to Geelong. Has wanted to go there for the past two seasons.

St Kilda haven't fared that well with first round draft picks in recent times (they had two picks just before we took Naughton) so getting Hill (the best winger in the comp) and Howard (one of the best young KPPs going) is big.

Ryder might hurt Marshall rather than help, but with Howard they can do what they wanted to do last year - send Josh Battle forward. He's arguably their most promising young player, excluding Max King.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Proper analysis:

Outs X 12:

1. Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
    2. Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
    3. Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
    4. Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year, against his desire, he has been delisted and paid out. A casualty of winning the trade period.
    5. Jack Newnes, now going to Carlton.
    6. Paddy McCartin
    7-12. Armitage, Longer, Pierce, Rowe, Rice, White (delisted)

They're paying about $2.5M to:

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary of $900,000.
    Ryder. If he's not cooked, he mustn't be far off cooked.
    Jones. Struggles to consistently kick the footy where he wants to.
    Butler. At the price ok.
    Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain about his ability and co sister you to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked (they couldn't get trade interest at almost giving him away), McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.
    Updated with Jack Newnes heading to Carlton, McCrtin delisted, now there's now 12 players out the door at Moorabbin (nearly 1/3 of the list). Which is huge, and the domino effect if after the five incoming players, they now have 6 spots open with late picks. How they manage this is going to be interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Updated with Jack Newnes heading to Carlton, there's now 11-12 players out the door at Moorabbin (nearly 1/3 of the list). Which is huge, and the domino effect if after the five incoming players, they may have 6-7 spots open with late picks. How they manage this is going to be interesting.
    They'll have to pick up a recycled player or two just so they have mature depth, surely.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They'll have to pick up a recycled player or two just so they have mature depth, surely.
    I don't think they have a choice other than to do that. Which is crazy, it's like they're topping up for another premiership. 12 turnover in one year is dangerous, from memory Carlton did 12 delistings/movements out in a year and brought list cloggers (ex. Jones eventually) in Jones & Tutt, Jaksch & Whiley etc. etc. The only difference is they has two picks under 50 (unlike St Kilda), but they picked Viojo-Rainbow and Boekhurst.

I give them Hill & Howard ($1.5M combined), maybe to Jones and no to Ryder (cooked) and Butler (fringe). Three picks on the bad side of Pick 50 this year (probably none under 60 next year) and two recycled players. They're potentially clogging up their list around two good recruits from the bottom part of the ladder.

The media was in love with Carlton too, two potentially great KPFs (one a competitive beast) and other good talents to fast forward their rebuild. Then they love that Carlton could get such talent like Boekhurst & Rainbow. They lost Waite, Garlett & Mitch Robinson. Now we all acknowledge that as the worst trade and draft period in history.

I can't say right now that St Kilda have done epicly well, or set them up for failure. But if only Hill & Howard become great players, then they're spending two off seasons clogging their list with late picks and delisted free agents. I'm not sure how that translates into a sustained attack for premiership/s. I'm not prepared to say from an overall list perspective that they've got the right strategy at a minimum. I will bookmark this and come back in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to laugh at this quote from Brad Hill about Richo being replaced by Ratten:

"I didn't know the coach change was going to happen, (but) obviously the players that are playing for the club aren't really going to change too much," Hill said.
    Not too much change, only a quarter of the list.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reports are that Patrick McCartin will be delisted by the Saints and he will take a break from football
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Reports are that Patrick McCartin will be delisted by the Saints and he will take a break from football
    Think it’s a good move for Paddy physically, hopefully he has plenty of support around him to get him through mentally.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Think it’s a good move for Paddy physically, hopefully he has plenty of support around him to get him through mentally.
    He needs a lot of support, football is a long way off.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Bruce - Go find another club, like now.
    Paddy McCartin - For your own good, you're delisted.
    Max King - I know you haven't played a single game, I know you've done an ACL, but no pressure you're the one.
    Josh Battle - 11 goals in three years as mainly a defender, but no pressure but you are also the one as a KPF.
    Paddy Ryder - We expect you to kick a goal this season for every birthday you've had. 43.
    Tim Membrey - It's all on you.

Really? They knew McCartin was going, they knew Battle has limited games and more limited goals, they knew King has yet to debut, they know Ryder isn't what he used to be. And the priority was moving out Bruce so they could bring in Zac Jones?

Don't get me me wrong I'm very happy for us, but if I was a St Kilda member I'd be wondering what the hell is going on here. Leaving aside 12 outgoing players.