Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  69
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda

Post Thanks / Like

Re: St Kilda

I have no sympathy for them. They sold the product to all of these players and now realise they've bit off more than they can chew. They can clean up their own mess. I hope they pay out their asses this year it will make getting King that much easier for us next year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I have no sympathy for them. They sold the product to all of these players and now realise they've bit off more than they can chew. They can clean up their own mess. I hope they pay out their asses this year it will make getting King that much easier for us next year.
    Let me clarify, I hope their strategy blows up in their face

But I do understand why they've split pick 6 to get 12 and 18 as it gives them the tools to get more of these deals done. Remember that Grubby Allen is now involved in their list and trading team and he didn't come down from the last shower.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Splitting their early first is either very stupid (they miss out on Hill) or a masterstroke as they've called Freo's bluff and get him even cheaper than their original offer.

If it's 12 this year, for our sake, I hope Freo start demanding that and next year's first as well. That is way overs and is entering Tim Kelly territory but that's what Freo will be starting with on Monday. Will the Saints do it?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Let me clarify, I hope their strategy blows up in their face

But I do understand why they've split pick 6 to get 12 and 18 as it gives them the tools to get more of these deals done. Remember that Grubby Allen is now involved in their list and trading team and he didn't come down from the last shower.
    Splitting a first round is fine, but I wouldn't split a first rounder under 10, unless you feel the draft is very shallow. Perhaps they don't rate the top six players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Landsberger has come up with this potential line up for the Saints

B: Dylan Roberton, Dougal Howard (NEW), Jimmy Webster

HB: Zak Jones (NEW), Jake Carlisle, Nick Coffield

C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Steele, Brad Hill (NEW)

HF: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent

F: Paddy Ryder (NEW), Max King (DEBUT), Dan Butler (NEW)

R: Rowan Marshall, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross

Inter: Josh Battle, Ben Long, Jarryn Geary, Hunter Clark

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Luke Dunstan
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sam Landsberger has come up with this potential line up for the Saints

B: Dylan Roberton, Dougal Howard (NEW), Jimmy Webster

HB: Zak Jones (NEW), Jake Carlisle, Nick Coffield

C: Dan Hannebery, Jack Steele, Brad Hill (NEW)

HF: Jack Billings, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent

F: Paddy Ryder (NEW), Max King (DEBUT), Dan Butler (NEW)

R: Rowan Marshall, Jade Gresham, Seb Ross

Inter: Josh Battle, Ben Long, Jarryn Geary, Hunter Clark

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Matt Parker, Callum Wilkie, Luke Dunstan
    Would rather coach the bulldogs list
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Would rather coach the bulldogs list
    Better than their list last year though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Better than their list last year though
    It is but the bottom half dozen are pretty ordinary footballers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the Saints better off?

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think they should be pretty pleased with their efforts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Blake Acres is an out too.

Outs:

Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
    Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
    Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.
    Robbie Young, despite have a contract next year has been delisted and paid out.
    Jack Newnes, looks out the door for nothing.

They're paying about $2.5M to:

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary.
    Ryder. If he's not cooked, he mustn't be far off cooked.
    Jones. Struggles to consistently kick the footy where he wants to.
    Butler. At the price ok.
    Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked, McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 18-10-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes Bulldog4life, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon they will miss Bruce a lot more than they envisage right now. Remember only 12 months ago when Jesse Hogan was not going to be a big loss to Melbourne's forward line because they already had Tom McDonald and the emerging superstar Sam Wiedeman?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reckon they will miss Bruce a lot more than they envisage right now. Remember only 12 months ago when Jesse Hogan was not going to be a big loss to Melbourne's forward line because they already had Tom McDonald and the emerging superstar Sam Wiedeman?
    Betting the farm on Marshall and King being good to go next year as forwards

Post Thanks / Like

They had pick 5 and some post 50 rubbish to get 5 deals done and they somehow managed to do it while retaining their first pick next year, so in terms of wheeling and dealing, they get a tick, IMO.

But it says a lot about how poor their recent drafting and development has been, that they even needed to bring in 5 guys that will instantly slot into their best 22. I won't be surprised if there are cohesion issues next season and they don't rise like Saints fans are hoping.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Betting the farm on Marshall and King being good to go next year as forwards
    I'd say they are investing in the future by providing more opportunities to both of them

They won't be super competitive in 2020 but are probably looking more at 2021