Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  69
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda

Post Thanks / Like

Re: St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd say they are investing in the future by providing more opportunities to both of them

They won't be super competitive in 2020 but are probably looking more at 2021
    I suspect someone might need to tell some of their supporters that as with the addition of 3 pretty hyped up players (Howard, Jones and Hill) they'll be expecting more than that. Maybe not a premiership but certainly a significant rise.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy if I were a St Kilda fan given they had bugger all draft picks and have managed to get the players (granted that they are not superstars but they got some solid role players into the club) who committed to them through the door.

This may not pay off this trade period but it well may pay off in future trade periods because people can see that when they commit to the Saints then the saints will try their best not to abandon them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Blake Acres is an out too.

Outs:

Jack Steven, 4 X BF, gone for bugger all and they're paying some of his wage.
    Josh Bruce, their most consistent KPF for years. Didn't seem happy with them.
    Blake Acres, scope to be a good player. Blind sided and very unhappy initially with his name being thrown up.

They're paying about $2.5M to:

Hill. Best winger. Huge trade cost and salary.
    Ryder. If he's not cooked, he mustn't be far off cooked.
    Jones. Struggles to consistently kick the footy where he wants to.
    Butler. At the price ok.
    Howard. Could be very good, but they must be certain to pay him $600,000 X 5.

It will sell memberships and I heard on trade radio they have a promo at the minute 'buy one get one free'. Their membership numbers are going to surge ahead of next year. Not that I wish for it, but it sounds like Carlisle is cooked, McCartin is going to struggle to play again and the Great White Hope Max King better not get injured.

They also threw a rediculous contract at Tomlinson and missed, and had a serious go at Keath, Ed Langdon, Martin and others. If you keep throwing out contracts paying overs to 10 or more players, you're bound to get five names (less three decent players, so two netted players).

It feels like a SuperCoach trade period that stands in isolation from anything and everything else. I don't see those ins make them a top 8 side next year and this sort of trading is all about that. Now they've only got a 1st and 2 X 4ths as their picks next year.

It's not all bad for them, but when you consider what they lost in players, no picks inside Pick 50 this year, and their limited 2020 draft hand (only one pick inside Pick 60 estimated), it's a good trade period for sure, but not as good as some are banging on about.
    3 of the players they recruited played Ressies during the season too. Not sure about Jones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    3 of the players they recruited played Ressies during the season too. Not sure about Jones.
    That includes Dougal Howard who will be an absolute gun KPD. Port played him out of position before dropping him.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That includes Dougal Howard who will be an absolute gun KPD. Port played him out of position before dropping him.
    Howard has potential, but still unknown till he proves it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There all OK players Josh Bruce will kick between 50-70 goals for us next year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Howard has potential, but still unknown till he proves it.
    Leading the comp in 1%ers in 2018 proves it for mine.
    Hinkley wanted to make him a swingman, which I don't think he is.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This may not pay off this trade period but it well may pay off in future trade periods because people can see that when they commit to the Saints then the saints will try their best not to abandon them.
    Spot on TD other clubs will also note this I think Essenscum and Caaaaaarrrrrlton need to have a real good look at how some clubs play the trading game or they will get passed over more and more often.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be very concerned if I was a saints fan. They are kind of caught between rebuilding and topping up. It feels like they had cap space so just got anyone they could. It will give them a spike but not sure it’s been great for their list build. Losing their best player and their best goal kicker hurts too.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of the result from the trade period itself, I think they've done reasonably well.

The problem is they've got very, very weak draft hands both this year and next and I'm not sure they're in a position to not be bringing in young talent at the moment.

They'll be considerably better on the field next year but they need to be able to keep Hannebery on the park, otherwise that trade will bite them in the arse in a big way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In terms of the result from the trade period itself, I think they've done reasonably well.

The problem is they've got very, very weak draft hands both this year and next and I'm not sure they're in a position to not be bringing in young talent at the moment.

They'll be considerably better on the field next year but they need to be able to keep Hannebery on the park, otherwise that trade will bite them in the arse in a big way.
    It's a fair point you raise but the new coach would have had his say in the direction they're taking and has obviously wanted to bring some experience in.
    I don't think this will change much for them in 2020 but their fans probably wanted some hope and they've been given that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hill is a huge plus for them (especially under the roof at Marvel) but they had to pony up big to make it happen.
    Howard is a potentially strong selection but he hasn't got massive amount of exposed form, very similar to Keath but at a bigget outlay (age is positive)
    Ryder is cheap insurance but his best footy is behind him and he also excels as first ruck, not ruck-forward
    Zak Jones is simply a mediocre AFL standard player and the hype far exceeds the output. He won't suddently become a better decision maker or ball user at his age.
    Butler is steak knives and a handy addition to their forward set up, but he is behind about half a dozen players in similar roles at Richmond.

They did well to land their targets but I'm not sure all their targets will improve them a great deal. And they have compromosed their draft hand significantly for the next 2 years whilst also losing bankable quality in Bruce, Steven and potential quality in Acres.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2 leading goalscorers last year were Membrey (44) & Bruce (36). Next after that was Parker with 16. They have lost massively in the forward line and will struggle massively next year due to it.
    I think long term they will be better off but thats not what has been sold to their members

Post Thanks / Like

AFL site rating Saints as having the #1 best trade period of all clubs and us at #3.
    https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16...out-draft-hand
    Given that Jack Stevens only cost pick 58 I would have negotiated for him for Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    AFL site rating Saints as having the #1 best trade period of all clubs and us at #3.
    https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-16...out-draft-hand
    Given that Jack Stevens only cost pick 58 I would have negotiated for him for Dogs.
    The rankings don't mean much but full credit to the Saints for landing all of their targets

Having said that, I can't fault the way Sam Power and the team performed in addressing our lack of key position depth and quality.

No more excuses for losses now
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"