Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  82
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Carlton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Carlton's financial woes continue with $2 million Virgin Airlines sponsorship now gone.
    This will hit GWS as well with Virgin a co-major sponsor. Double the pleasure.

2. Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bless them they still have the pokie king to bail them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Where's Mr. Elliott?

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be on his last legs
    Apparently sonny ( another Carlton Neanderthal) has old man Elliott on his show

Post Thanks / Like

and how happy do you think mercedes benz are seeing Lachies on every news bulletin crashed into those cars.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    and how happy do you think mercedes benz are seeing Lachies on every news bulletin crashed into those cars.......
    I was just thinking that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter was driving a Toyota SUV, not a Mercedes.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Should've been with the major sponsor:

Mercedes X-Class the first ute to offer autonomous emergency braking.

Competition in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) segment has been heightened with the Mercedes-Benz X-Class the first utility to enter the Australasian market with autonomous emergency braking (AEB). Three other new models also enter with standard-fit AEB including the Volkswagen Polo, Jaguar E-PACE and BMW X2.

Autonomous emergency braking is fitted as standard on all X-Class variants, helping it achieve a 5 star ANCAP safety rating.

“This is a game-changer for the ute market and puts pressure on competing brands,” said ANCAP Chief Executive, Mr James Goodwin.

“The light commercial vehicle segment has generally lagged passenger cars and SUVs with regard to safety specification, so the inclusion of AEB as standard across the X-Class range is to be commended,” he said.

The AEB system fitted to the X-Class performed well – detecting and either avoiding or mitigating crashes with other vehicles at low and high speeds. Its AEB system is also capable of detecting and preventing crashes with pedestrians.

10. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    its a shame one of the cars he busted into was a merc!

Post Thanks / Like

I worry about Charlie Curnow. This year would have been a write off for him without the CV19 impact.
    He's in Cooney-territory with his knee.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton

Why Carlton's recruiting plans are immune from virus

Carlton are planning to be a strong bidder for mature recruits from other clubs this year, despite the uncertainty surrounding the size of the salary cap.

The Blues say they will stick to their plan to bring in mature recruits - as they did last year with Jack Martin (Gold Coast) and prodigal son Eddie Betts and attempted with Sydney's Tom Papley - in the knowledge that they will have the salary-cap space to bring in seasoned players who fit their needs.

While the AFL and the clubs do not know what the salary cap will be in 2021 and 2022, the Blues say that, whatever amount is cut by the AFL, it will be proportionate to the space clubs have already, and thus Carlton, with a significant amount of space, will still have room for acquisitions.

Carlton chief executive Cain Liddle said the Blues would have a key focus on "both player retention and acquisition'', with the club able to utilise an "underspend'' in their salary cap from previous years for recruitment or retention of players. Under the rules, clubs can spend up to 5 per cent over the salary cap, if they have not spend that amount in the two previous seasons.

"Football performance is our No.1 priority and will continue to use every lever available to us,'' Liddle told The Age. "We have underspend available and will continue to invest in our list-management strategy with a key focus on both player retention and player acquisition.

"Obviously, we recognise that there is the potential that underspend we have access to may be slightly reduced proportionate to any changes the AFL make with TPP [total player payments].''

The Blues have a 5 per cent "underspend'' available to them in 2021, having planned to spend 105 per cent of the salary cap this year, as the rules allow under the banking system.

Carlton view the midfield as their area of greatest need, although they could well make another bid for Sydney forward Papley, whose wish for a trade was not met by the Swans, who had secured the small forward on a long-term contract and would not trade him unless they were landing Joe Daniher from Essendon.

The Blues made a huge offer for Greater Western Sydney's gun midfielder Stephen Coniglio, who subsequently signed for the Giants for seven years on a multimillion-dollar deal.

Carlton have room in their salary cap for 2021, despite acquiring Martin from the Suns on a hugely front-loaded, five-year deal. While Martin was due to be paid close to $2 million over the first two years - an amount that will be cut, as with all player contracts this year - the total deal was worth about $3.1 million plus incentives over five years.

The Blues would not have front-loaded the Martin contract - a device to get him to them in the pre-season draft - had they landed Papley.

Carlton also traded for ruckman Marc Pittonet from the Hawks, in the recognition that they need some seasoned ruck support for Matthew Kreuzer, 30, who has had significant injuries, and youngster Tom De Koning, whom the club rates highly as a prospect.

The Blues have made significant cuts to their football department since the financial crisis facing football, jettisoning their relationship with the Northern Blues, removing part-time coaches Sav Rocca and Hamish McIntosh and VFL coach Josh Fraser, while also axing two full-time members of their recruiting team.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

"The Blues have made significant cuts to their football department since the financial crisis facing football, jettisoning their relationship with the Northern Blues, removing part-time coaches Sav Rocca and Hamish McIntosh and VFL coach Josh Fraser, while also axing two full-time members of their recruiting team."

Well hello.
    I would normally stop annoying everyone with my wish for better goal-kicking coaching and accuracy, but it's lockdown time so I'm throwing it out there one more time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    "The Blues have made significant cuts to their football department since the financial crisis facing football, jettisoning their relationship with the Northern Blues, removing part-time coaches Sav Rocca and Hamish McIntosh and VFL coach Josh Fraser, while also axing two full-time members of their recruiting team."

Well hello.
    I would normally stop annoying everyone with my wish for better goal-kicking coaching and accuracy, but it's lockdown time so I'm throwing it out there one more time.
    For the more progressive clubs now is the time to recruit displaced by talented people from other clubs. Rocca fits that criteria
    I just wonder if our goal kicking challenges have really been seen as a priority by the coach? I suspect it's is about as important to him as having some ruck options
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Well hello.
    Maybe Mission Foods can employ big Sav as chief taco taster but secretly he spends his time teaching the likes of Naughton how to slot sausage rolls?

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Maybe Mission Foods can employ big Sav as chief taco taster but secretly he spends his time teaching the likes of Naughton how to slot sausage rolls?
    I met Anthony* last year - now I'm 6'2 and 90+kgs and he made me look like a child.
    It might be cheaper to pay Sav in gold ingots than in the amount of tacos I reckon the Rocca boys could put away.

* Ripping bloke, one of the good guys.