Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  82
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Carlton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I know someone who used his resources to get elected to the Victorian upper house as a Justice Party candidate and then promptly quit his party to sit as an independent!

I have never agreed with her politics but I've always voted for her at local council elections because she does what she says she will do and she will listen to other people's ideas. Dicking Hinch around was just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and she's a huge bulldog supporter!
    Didn't she crack the sads that Stuart Grimley got the leadership over her?

Worked with Stu a couple of times. Good fella

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Didn't she crack the sads that Stuart Grimley got the leadership over her?

Worked with Stu a couple of times. Good fella
    I think that she may have done actually.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not surprising to hear from the inside the place was a rabble this year. Hope Gibbons gets another chance somewhere.

‘Bitterly disappointed’ Blue opens up exit meeting, ‘incredibly stressful’ club culture

Delisted Carlton player Michael Gibbons says he was “bitterly disappointed” with the club’s reasoning for cutting him and admitted the highly-publicised footy department review had a significant impact on the club this season.

Gibbons’ perseverance to become an AFL player was one of Carlton’s feel-good stories over the past three years, coming in as a pre-season pick in 2019 and playing 47 games, quickly becoming a fan favourite before the Blues’ decision to delist him.

While admitting he could see the “writing on the wall”, Gibbons said he was baffled when the club told him his best spot was in the midfield, given he was used almost exclusively as a small forward despite being elevated from the VFL as an elite onballer.

“When I first got there I was a pretty dominant midfielder in the VFL. ‘Bolts’ (Brendon Bolton) was in charge when I first got there and the need for a small pressure forward was basically the only way I could get a spot on the list,” he explained on SEN Breakfast.

“So I went for that, but then in the end, the three years I spent there, I was solely focused on that and I genuinely enjoyed putting time into that.

“In the end, when they gave me the flick, the justification that they saw me as a good midfielder and that I play my best footy in the midfield disappointed me a bit. They said they see me as a really good midfielder, but I never played one minute in the midfield for the Blues unfortunately.

“It never really occurred to me at the time because I was happy playing as a forward and learning the craft that way and thought I was contributing that way. In the end they sort of didn’t see it that way I guess.”

Gibbons, a two-time VFL best and fairest player, said he’d put his case forward to new senior coach Michael Voss, but held “no grudges” against him for the final decision to part ways.

It has been an eventful season for the Blues, with an external review into the football department resulting in the departure of coach David Teague, while the club has changed its president and CEO heading into 2022.

Speaking about the review, which became one of the season’s biggest storylines, Gibbons said the focus on the club had taken its toll.

“It was incredibly stressful,” he said.

“If you talk to anyone throughout that time, a lot of people will try and play it off, but you’ve got coaches who don’t know if they’ll be there next year having to perform weekly and stay positive and players in the same position.

“It creates a, I wouldn’t say toxic (environment), but it’s pretty unspoken to a point, but when you sit down and have a chat to blokes towards the latter end of the year, it was getting to everyone.

“It’s no fault of the media, but it was in the media every day and it becomes a bit of a cycle.”

The 26-year-old said he felt Teague was “pretty hard done by”.

Gibbons said he is “100 per cent” committed to trying to find another AFL club to continue his career at, having made it at the highest level against the odds before.

4. Thanks josie thanked for this post