Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  98
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Alex Keath

I really hope that they nickname him “Boydy”.

2. Likes josie, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Alex. Have a great career with us.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Afel.com.au

BEING wanted by the Western Bulldogs was a major reason key defender Alex Keath took up their offer and left Adelaide.

AFL.com.au reported last month the Dogs' offer was far more significant than that offered by the Crows.

Adelaide sought to rejuvenate its list after two disappointing seasons following the Grand Final berth in 2017.

Keath, 27, told reporters he "felt really wanted" by the Bulldogs.

"Adelaide are obviously looking to get a little bit younger, the Bulldogs on the flipside were maybe looking to add some experience, so that was where the opportunity lay for me," Keath said.

"I felt really wanted with the Bulldogs, so it was a great opportunity to get here and obviously very happy that the trade got done."

Keath initially went to South Australia to see if he could continue his cricket career after seven first-class games for Victoria, but when that didn't work out as planned he joined the Crows as a Category B rookie in 2015 after having previously been part of the original Gold Coast squad.

He shot to prominence this season, winning the Showdown Medal in just the 20th game of his career.

"Initially I was moving over there to see if I could rekindle my floundering cricket career, but that didn't work out," Keath said.

"I was lucky enough to get a position on the rookie list and do some training and see how it went.

"I'm very grateful to Adelaide for the opportunity they gave me and I wish them well in the future, but now I'm extremely excited to be at the Bulldogs and just very grateful to be wanted by a good club in a good position with the youth they've got and exciting talent."

Negotiations went late, with the Dogs giving up pick No.45 and a second-round selection in next year's NAB AFL Draft, while also receiving a future third-round selection.

Alex Keath
    DISPOSALS
    ELITE

MARKS
    ABOVE AVG

CONTESTED POSSESSIONS
    ELITE

MARKS FROM OPPOSITION
    ELITE

His limited exposed form made it tough to determine his value, along with lower leg surgery that the Crows initially thought Keath could recover from without needing to go under the knife.

"Obviously it was timely and I needed to get it right, because with a potential trade coming up, it was important to make sure that my ankles were in the best possible condition going forward," Keath said.

"The Crows were fantastic and, at the end of the day, I was contracted to Adelaide, so it's an Adelaide decision to have the surgery done and all parties were happy.

"There was a possibility I might have had to walk back to Adelaide, so if that was the case, then they were very comfortable with the surgery."

Keath expects to join the main group early in 2020.

"Hopefully just after Christmas I'll be back in full training," he said.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to have Alex on board, remember years back in his draft year a few Woofers in the know were very keen on him.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this bit:

Western Bulldogs recruit Alex Keath expects to begin full training after Christmas as he recovers from a lower leg injury that required post-season surgery.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a fair amount of football from that position BAD. Facing the right direction though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Seen a fair amount of football from that position BAD. Facing the right direction though.
    Yep although I was more to the right at CHF on the fence.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

BULLDOGS OPPORTUNITY ONE KEATH "COULDN'T REFUSE"

Western Bulldogs star recruit Alex Keath is expecting to be ready to go for Round 1, following ankle surgery over the summer.

The 28-year-old needed an operation to repair the injury following his trade period move from the Crows, but he is on track to be at full fitness come the start of the season.

“I’m getting back into some training and taking part in some match simulation now and getting towards the goal of taking part in the practice games,” Keath told SEN SA Breakfast.

“The ankle is going well, plenty of rehab over the summer.

“It’s been pretty smooth the rehab process, obviously after the surgery I was pretty sore and sorry for myself, but since then I’ve been progressing pretty nicely.

“I’m settling into the new club now and it is nice to have some fresh ideas and a fresh start.

“I’m really enjoying it over here and looking forward to the season.”

Keath said the opportunities the Bulldogs laid in front of him were too good to knock back.

“There were a few factors, but the opportunity that was given to me at the Dogs was one I couldn’t refuse and a really good challenge for me to take on,” he said.

“That was definitely attractive and the Crows were probably looking to go in a different direction and get a bit younger and weighing up from the club’s perspective and my perspective, the move made sense."

The Bulldogs stormed into finals last season and Keath believes they will continue to build on that success in 2020.

“I think last year in the second half of the year there were some good games, but with the young list that’s there the aim is to build on that.

“I think that’s where our goals lie.”

Keath played 30 games for the Crows after returning to footy from cricket.

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Western Bulldogs star recruit Alex Keath is expecting to be ready to go for Round 1, following ankle surgery over the summer.
    He means that injury that Crows didn't even acknowledge was there

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He means that injury that Crows didn't even acknowledge was there
    They acknowledged it was there, but was going be treated differently (resting) by the Cows.

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They acknowledged it was there, but was going be treated differently (resting) by the Cows.
    Didn’t we get them to pay for the op before we took him?
    Bring back the biff

20. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Didn’t we get them to pay for the op before we took him?
    Yep.
    The Saints medicos also recommended surgery as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    They didn't acknowledge surgery was required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They didn't acknowledge surgery was required.
    I think it’s how we got a good trade using his injury as leverage.
    Bring back the biff