Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating The Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So I'm broadening the question of the thread to rating our list management period for all 5 players incoming:

Trade: Bruce (KPF), Keath (KPD)
    Draft: Weightman (Sml Fwd), Butler (HBF/Wing), Garcia (Mid)
    Bruce and Keath a great get and will only make us a stronger team.

As for the three draftees, time will tell.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bruce and Keath a great get and will only make us a stronger team.

As for the three draftees, time will tell.
    CHF & CHB are huge gets. Yeah, ultimately time will help with the ultimate assessment of the three draftees. But I'm happy to note that Twomey, Doerre & Buckanara all rated Weightmman as the number two small forward in the draft (after Henry who was tied to Freo). So that's a big tick for talent and addressing a need with the Pick 13 Sam Power fought so hard to keep, while acquiring Bruce & Keath. And we added some draftee depth along the HBF/wing/mid with later picks. I'm happy to say that this is one of the much better list management periods.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I'm broadening the question of the thread to rating our list management period for all 5 players incoming:

Trade: Bruce (KPF), Keath (KPD)
    Draft: Weightman (Sml Fwd), Butler (HBF/Wing), Garcia (Mid)
    It's an interesting question you pose but broken down I see it this way:

Trade:
    The question marks:
    Did we actually need Bruce given we already had 2 key forwards?
    Did we actually need Keath given he is another key intercept defender?

Summary: I'm still a fan of the recruitment but I don't think they were necessarily ideal additions.
    We got them for a reasonable price and they will contribute straight away

A big tick for the recruitment for mine

Draft:
    The question marks:
    Did we need 3 smaller types?

Weightman fills a position we don't think we have the right types of players for on our list but from a best available perspective perhaps we missed an opportunity
    Butler is another half back type and we have a lot of depth there
    Garcia will take time both to recover from his injury and to develop the required strength

Summary: Decent players and given our draft position it's hard to be critical of the selections.
    We should have tried to land a key position player

Another tick but a cautious one from me.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Butler is another half back type and we have a lot of depth there
    In the article I posted it says Butler is expected to settle on a wing - certainly an area of need. Not sure if that's from a club source or Sam Landsberger's own summation.

Post Thanks / Like

Another tick but a cautious one from me.

Agreed. It looks like a good trade period but how many trade periods have we said that about?

Lets wait and see. Also how the draft picks we actually gave away go at their clubs too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In the article I posted it says Butler is expected to settle on a wing - certainly an area of need. Not sure if that's from a club source or Sam Landsberger's own summation.
    Sam Power's comments if I recall. He was at the pointy end of the 2km time trial at the combine.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Trade:
    The question marks:
    Did we actually need Bruce given we already had 2 key forwards?
    Did we actually need Keath given he is another key intercept defender?

Summary: I'm still a fan of the recruitment but I don't think they were necessarily ideal additions.
    We got them for a reasonable price and they will contribute straight away
    I don't think Schache is a key forward simply because he's tall.

We spent a lot of the 2019 season bemoaning the lack of genuine KPD quality on our list and Cordy struggled for periods during the season. Personally I think they were both brilliant areas to target for us.

Small forward and wing were two other areas of need - we picked up Weightman and Bulter to develop into those two areas respectively. I assume Garcia is there for 'burst speed' so as a speculative late pick we could do worse. I really rate Vendermeer as a similar zippy type so a late developing KPD must have been a consideration as well with our last pick.

11. Likes whythelongface liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sam Power's comments if I recall. He was at the pointy end of the 2km time trial at the combine.
    Good endurance but he also tested in the lower bracket for the 3 sprints
    I'm not sure how relevant those sprint tests are.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't think Schache is a key forward simply because he's tall.

We spent a lot of the 2019 season bemoaning the lack of genuine KPD quality on our list and Cordy struggled for periods during the season. Personally I think they were both brilliant areas to target for us.

Small forward and wing were two other areas of need - we picked up Weightman and Bulter to develop into those two areas respectively. I assume Garcia is there for 'burst speed' so as a speculative late pick we could do worse. I really rate Vendermeer as a similar zippy type so a late developing KPD must have been a consideration as well with our last pick.
    This. Thought both Bruce and Keath were needed players and are fantastic additions to the team. We were crying out for another tall defender and we have ticked this box. Keath may be more of an intercept defender but can also play a one on one role adequately. I think he ticks all our needs and provides freedom for Wood as well as allowing Cordy to play on the 3rd tall. We now have three exceptional intercept defenders in our midst which will mean more attacking options of the HBF.

Bruce for mine provides the perfect foil for Naughton. Having both in the forward line will provide two strong marking targets that will cause many headaches for the opposition. Throw in the likes of Dale, Lloyd, Dickson and any of our other smaller forwards and we have a very potent forward line. Then we have Schache who can play a variety of roles in the forward line. I am confident Bruce will prove to be an exceptional pick up.

In the scheme of things this trade period rates as possibly our best trade period on a needs basis. The only addition that we missed out on was a fast link/ wingman, however as others have stated we potentially have one or two players in the mix to take on this role in the future eg. Williams or Garcia.

14. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Twomey has posted a full length inside running on the first round. It's long and not much relates to us. But the summary as it relates to us:

- Melbourne debated Pickett vs Weightman with Pick 10.
    - With Pickett & Bergman gone, our only apparent small debate was Weightman vs Kemp.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how landing Bruce and Keith could be seen as anything but a fantastic result for us given what we paid for them and what they can possibly bring to the team.

Especially with Bruce, when on the park which has been four out of the last five seasons he has averaged 40 goals a year. That's good going, and if he can assist in the ruck it's even better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Twomey has posted a full length inside running on the first round. It's long and not much relates to us. But the summary as it relates to us:

- Melbourne debated Pickett vs Weightman with Pick 10.
    - With Pickett & Bergman gone, our only apparent small debate was Weightman vs Kemp.
    It's an interesting article with the decisions by clubs at the top of the draft and the various pick trades shaping the choices of the clubs with later picks.

Sounds like our draft board for our first pick (ignoring the players that were never going to make it to our pick) was:
    1. Pickett
    2. Bergman
    3. Weightman
    4. Kemp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't see how landing Bruce and Keith could be seen as anything but a fantastic result for us given what we paid for them and what they can possibly bring to the team.

Especially with Bruce, when on the park which has been four out of the last five seasons he has averaged 40 goals a year. That's good going, and if he can assist in the ruck it's even better.
    Wood was saying last night, in the Gym the players have a competition how many repetitions each player can do lifting their own weight. Bruce is 100kg and did it 14 times. I think we have a beauty on our hands, and as you said, didn't cost much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wood was saying last night, in the Gym the players have a competition how many repetitions each player can do lifting their own weight. Bruce is 100kg and did it 14 times. I think we have a beauty on our hands, and as you said, didn't cost much.
    What lift, bench?

If it was a squat or deadlift I'd be mighty disappointed in him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's an interesting article with the decisions by clubs at the top of the draft and the various pick trades shaping the choices of the clubs with later picks.

Sounds like our draft board for our first pick (ignoring the players that were never going to make it to our pick) was:
    1. Pickett
    2. Bergman
    3. Weightman
    4. Kemp
    'Twas an interesting read. Melbourne were apparently interested in Weightman before all the Pickett hype started. Interesting they were still interested to some degree. It's interesting they went so hard at Jamie Elliott and the closest drafted to play that way is Weightman and they passed on him. I hope they regret passing on Weightman. That does seems like our talent order from Twomey.