Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  32
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating The Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What lift, bench?

If it was a squat or deadlift I'd be mighty disappointed in him.
    Lol if he can only DL 100kg for 14 reps, Saints conditioning team need to be sacked.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lol if he can only DL 100kg for 14 reps, Saints conditioning team need to be sacked.
    Yeah I missed exactly what, but apparently he is very strong.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't see how landing Bruce and Keith could be seen as anything but a fantastic result for us given what we paid for them and what they can possibly bring to the team.

Especially with Bruce, when on the park which has been four out of the last five seasons he has averaged 40 goals a year. That's good going, and if he can assist in the ruck it's even better.
    While I agree with the overall assessment, have you seen Bruce in the ruck? from what I have seen he's not good at it.
    The good part is Bevo has conditioned us all to accept part timers regardless if they add a lot of value as a ruckman or not

Most of us will now accept anyone but Bont
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Central rates our draft:

POISED nicely among the first round, the Western Bulldogs perfectly met the need for a pure small forward with arguably the best available, while filling out flanker depth and taking a punt on a different type of midfielder to their own who is coming off a long-term injury. With only three picks taken in the National Draft and none for the rookie list, the Bulldogs’ haul is short but sweet.

National Draft:
    15. Cody Weightman (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country) | 178cm | 75kg | Small Forward
    53. Louis Butler (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro) 185cm | 75kg | Medium Defender
    62. Riley Garcia (Swan Districts/Western Australia) | 177cm | 70kg | Balanced Midfielder

Rookie Draft:
    Nil

Having Cody Weightman available at pick 15 was seemingly the perfect result for the Bulldogs, especially given the Dandenong Stingrays product had toured the Kennel just prior to draft day. With the other considerations in Kysaiah Pickett and Miles Bergman conveniently off the board at that point, Weightman was the natural choice and could make an impact early given the Bulldogs’ shortage of pure small forwards. The all-action, high marking draftee impressed on the big stage for Vic Country with two bags of four goals, showcasing his fearless attack on the ball which suits the Footscray-based side.

The Dogs only re-entered the draft much later on at pick 53, opting for talented runner, Louis Butler. A Vic Metro representative, Butler is another who gets to a number of contests and can rack up the ball across half back. A usually sound and penetrating user of the ball, Butler’s drive could also become an asset through the midfield if a spot is available down the line.

Riley Garcia was the last of the Bulldogs’ picks, taken at number 62 as a good news story out of the National Draft. The small midfielder has loads of ability and can win his own ball, but ended a terrific National Championships on a sour note as he tore his ACL against Vic Country. While he won’t be able to impact straight away given the recovery time, Garcia is a point of difference in the big-bodied Dogs midfield who could be used on on the flanks long-term.

It was an overall sound draft from the Bulldogs, with little to work with but a lot of value coming in and a perfect fit in the first round. Weightman could have an impact straight away, with the other two pick-ups providing some long-term depth.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's an interesting article with the decisions by clubs at the top of the draft and the various pick trades shaping the choices of the clubs with later picks.

Sounds like our draft board for our first pick (ignoring the players that were never going to make it to our pick) was:
    1. Pickett
    2. Bergman
    3. Weightman
    4. Kemp
    I think this is a good assessment of how we rated the players
    Kemp was probably rated lower because of hisinjury and I suspect given that we probably had Garcia on the radar and ideally we didn't want to bring in 2 players with knee injuries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In the article I posted it says Butler is expected to settle on a wing - certainly an area of need. Not sure if that's from a club source or Sam Landsberger's own summation.
    We will no doubt play him on a wing abut having seen him play a number of times he does look a more natural fit in the back half. Having a strong endurance base will only assist him transition into other roles
    He should have gone earlier in the draft and I think we have nabbed ourselves a quality player.