Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

No-one should let Martin get to the Blues.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but to me Carlton have acted close to unethically this trade period with regards Martin.

I kinda/sorta get the Papley breakdown - this just seems like a simple value 'thing' and Sydney were not apt to deal. Martin - offering a future 2nd and 3rd to a club already swimming in picks...it was never ever going to do it. And because of that it seems to me that the plan all along was to let him fall to the PSD and pick him then 'for free'.

That's not right. The PA should be up in arms (and they probably will be if he doesn't get to the Blues) and the AFL integrity unit should be equally upset. The other 17 clubs need to make an example of this...he should not get to Carlton under any circumstances.

Clubs have an obligation during the trade period to act 'fairly' towards one another. I am certain someone is going to throw the Doddoro card at me, but over the past couple of years Essendon have at least been making trades...he might be hard to deal with but at least he still plays 'in the spirit' of the game.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No-one should let Martin get to the Blues.

Didn't they offer 9 for Martin and 15? That's a pretty fair deal to me if true and Carlton can't really be blamed for Gold Coast saying no.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Didn't they offer 9 for Martin and 15? That's a pretty fair deal to me if true and Carlton can't really be blamed for Gold Coast saying no.
    GCS were the ones who made that fair offer to Carlton (a six pick downgrade, plus a future 2nd/3rd). Carlton said no.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin was out of contract so GC playing hard ball doesn’t seem in the spirit of trade period. Carlton also screwed up by wooing Martin without having all their ducks in a row.

Mistakes were made by 2 crappy clubs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Martin was out of contract so GC playing hard ball doesn’t seem in the spirit of trade period.
    Saying NO to a Future 2nd and a Future 3rd in a draft where everyone knows is 'compromised' is ridiculous. He is NOT a free agent. He is a Gold Coast player. Gold Coast had to stand firm here...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I read correctly that Martin can only nominate for the PSD if he nominated for the National draft and gets overlooked?

I also don’t think that anyone who goes in any draft shouldn’t be able to put a price on their heads. I think they should be signed to a 1 year deal at a maximum of whatever their last year of pay was (and then they are able to renegotiate after the year). This would stop the shenanigans that Carlton are seemingly trying to pull off.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 19-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH if we could pull off such a shenanigan especially at the expense one of the expansion clubs, I would be rapt.

Where I find it unfair is GGS being gifted these priority picks so they didn't have to accept any offers that were unders. Without their free picks they would be more inclined to make sure a deal got done from their end.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Saying NO to a Future 2nd and a Future 3rd in a draft where everyone knows is 'compromised' is ridiculous. He is NOT a free agent. He is a Gold Coast player. Gold Coast had to stand firm here...
    Absolutely. I understand SOS saying wait and see with Papley. But that possible trade fell over with 30-40 minutes left. Then shortly after GCS dropped their demand for a 2020 first rounder and dropped their asking price significantly to a 6 pick downgrade and then 2020 2nd or 3rd. GCS actually backed down to try to get Martin to Carlton, so for them everything is negotiable to a point, but they're not giving him away. SOS refused for an unknown reason and has burnt Martin and should not get him for free.

Take us with players who publicly called out a destination, or even St Kilda. We added pick 51 to 32 to get Bruce, and added a future exchange of picks to get Keath. That's what you do for players who have called a new club out as home. You pay a smidge more if necessary at the end to do the right thing by the players. I think you owe that to them. Even a future second, say pick 25 (higher after NGAs & FSs) and a six pick downgrade is a bargain for Jack Martin.

I feel sorry for him. His life and career I'd upside down right now. Eddie Betts was doing media as if Martin was as good as locked in. Every single afl player should take note, you can't trust anything SOS & Carlton tell you. Beware.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but to me Carlton have acted close to unethically this trade period with regards Martin.

I kinda/sorta get the Papley breakdown - this just seems like a simple value 'thing' and Sydney were not apt to deal. Martin - offering a future 2nd and 3rd to a club already swimming in picks...it was never ever going to do it. And because of that it seems to me that the plan all along was to let him fall to the PSD and pick him then 'for free'.

That's not right. The PA should be up in arms (and they probably will be if he doesn't get to the Blues) and the AFL integrity unit should be equally upset. The other 17 clubs need to make an example of this...he should not get to Carlton under any circumstances.

Clubs have an obligation during the trade period to act 'fairly' towards one another. I am certain someone is going to throw the Doddoro card at me, but over the past couple of years Essendon have at least been making trades...he might be hard to deal with but at least he still plays 'in the spirit' of the game.
    100% agree, GCS were reasonable with their requests and Carlton planned this early to get him on the cheap

I hope the Suns advise Martin that they will draft him but they won't
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    100% agree, GCS were reasonable with their requests and Carlton planned this early to get him on the cheap

I hope the Suns advise Martin that they will draft him but they won't
    This is maybe the first time I've thought a pre-season trade period would be interesting. GC could draft Martin again and return to the trade table early next year with a bit more leverage to make Carlton play fair.

16. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just remove the PSD altogether. Players like Martin can nominate for the National Draft with a nominated salary, so I don't see the need to have the PSD anymore, especially since it can be used as a trade or get nothing and we get them for no draft cost sort of thing. Doesn't get rid of the problem completely but at least lowers the incentive to sabotage a potential trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    I would just remove the PSD altogether. Players like Martin can nominate for the National Draft with a nominated salary, so I don't see the need to have the PSD anymore, especially since it can be used as a trade or get nothing and we get them for no draft cost sort of thing. Doesn't get rid of the problem completely but at least lowers the incentive to sabotage a potential trade.
    They can keep the PSD but just for the players that nominated for the draft and were overlooked
    You shouldn't be able to bypass the National draft

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Melbourne were also thing about drafting him. That would make it more interesting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Melbourne were also thing about drafting him. That would make it more interesting.
    No, they say they won't look at him unless he has a change of heart

Post Thanks / Like

GC have a chance to fly the flag on behalf of clubs here when it comes to list management and trading.

I think they should call out Jack's name on PSD morning, whether he's prepared to play for them or not.

It would set a horrendous precedent to see a club deliberately sabotage a trade with a player with the intent of simply picking them up in the PSD.

If Jack Martin is determined to dictate terms of where he goes, he can do so in 10 years as a free agent.

Failing that, he can go and get a clearance to play in a state league in 2020 if he doesn't want to play for the Suns.

23. Likes Raw Toast, lemmon, Twodogs liked this post