Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No-one should let Martin get to the Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Ironically, Jade Rawlings would have been a free agent had that scenario played out in the modern day.

It was a horrendous way to treat a player that had given 8 years service and it bit both clubs in the arse at the end of the day.
    But at the same time we are debating if the players have too much control of which club they will play for

Rawlings got over it quickly, he was picked to play for Australia and worked on drills with our assistant Bond just a few days later, so I'm not sure how hard is really bit either club other than their reputation
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    But at the same time we are debating if the players have too much control of which club they will play for

Rawlings got over it quickly, he was picked to play for Australia and worked on drills with our assistant Bond just a few days later, so I'm not sure how hard is really bit either club other than their reputation
    We burned pick 6 for the sake of a bloke that played 29 games and kicked 32.34 over two season before trading him away for a minor pick upgrade.

Rawlings was already earmarked to play for Australia, in fact he did so before the PSD. Had he been badly injured he would have left in limbo.

If he 'got over it quickly' it's because he was a professional about it. More than can be said for either us or Hawthorn.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, strebla, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the point, that is what we were prepared to trade for him. We got it wrong but that's the chance you take
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The point is that we gamed the system and acted in bad faith, much like Carlton are doing this year, only when we did it we screwed over a player who had no interest in playing for us until we gave him no option but to do so.

Were North being unreasonable with their trade demands? Maybe. But we didn't just sit back and wait for the deal to fall through. We actively intervened and made sure it did.

It was a list management version of Trevor Chappell's underarm delivery. It was borderline draft-tampering. It was wrong in principle then and it still is now.

6. Likes Raw Toast, bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think we would.

I remember 'The Veale Deal' and I for one didn't like it at the time and I don't like it in retrospect. And we got hit by the Karma bus.

We should play hard but fair. Carlton need to remember it was only 5-minutes ago they were begging for draft concessions...yet now they are trying to abuse the draft and trading system? Be very, very careful.
    The notion of finding loopholes in a system are as old as rules themselves. It is the job of clubs to find ways to exploit them, then the system changes to realign parity.

If we found a way to do it I’d be more than comfortable. As long as the welfare of the humans involved isn’t compromised then rules are made to be broken.

Karma is a completely different story,

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking how the AFEL could remedy this at the next commission meeting...

Allow for PSD & rookie draft pick trading together with national draft pick trading. Then let GCS trade PSD pick 1 for whatever they can, to any club that can accomodate Martin's salary.

It's really not a big issue to allow this and no reason that it couldn't be in play from the next commission meeting and so in play for this year's PSD amd rookie drafts. It would be less than a handful of moves, but this year it would ensure GCS get something for Martin and bring in the likes of Dogs, Saints, North, Port, Freo etc. to package up national draft picks and PSD picks to trade into PSD Pick 1 (Jack Martin).

Get onto it Gil.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've been thinking how the AFEL could remedy this at the next commission meeting...

Allow for PSD & rookie draft pick trading together with national draft pick trading. Then let GCS trade PSD pick 1 for whatever they can, to any club that can accomodate Martin's salary.

It's really not a big issue to allow this and no reason that it couldn't be in play from the next commission meeting and so in play for this year's PSD amd rookie drafts. It would be less than a handful of moves, but this year it would ensure GCS get something for Martin and bring in the likes of Dogs, Saints, North, Port, Freo etc. to package up national draft picks and PSD picks to trade into PSD Pick 1 (Jack Martin).

Get onto it Gil.
    How do you remedy what the player wants?

I’m not a fan of player dictating terms at all, but a bloke on the list that doesn’t want to be there - particularly in a juicy contract - is doing more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    How do you remedy what the player wants?

I’m not a fan of player dictating terms at all, but a bloke on the list that doesn’t want to be there - particularly in a juicy contract - is doing more harm than good.
    He can wait a year and take up free agency. Every other player gets traded or waits for free agency. He’s not immune from things if he goes into the PSD and GC trade the pick 1 to whomever. GCS would get something at least.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He can wait a year and take up free agency. Every other player gets traded or waits for free agency. He’s not immune from things if he goes into the PSD and GC trade the pick 1 to whomever. GCS would get something at least.
    I really think Gold Coast should redraft him if he refuses to sign a 1 year extension.

The 1 year extension allows him to leave next year under free agency and he can choose his team with adequate compensation (significantly better than Carlton's trade offer).

Carlton still don't pay but at least they are required to wait an extra year.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I really think Gold Coast should redraft him if he refuses to sign a 1 year extension.

The 1 year extension allows him to leave next year under free agency and he can choose his team with adequate compensation (significantly better than Carlton's trade offer).

Carlton still don't pay but at least they are required to wait an extra year.
    For Plan C, yep. GCS get a second rounder next year, it costs Carlton nothing. If you believe Tony Cochrane (I don't) they will take him in the PSD even if high terms are imposed.

I read Mick Gleeson's (The Age) article from about 5 days ago. He also mentions the trading of draft picks from now until the draft and creative ways to avoid the drafting mess.

With the first delisted free agency period not open until November 1, there's plenty of time for AFEL mediators to work on a hypothesised trading of national draft picks in exchange for delisting status by GCS. The question is whether Carlton would risk a PSD, or just take him next year as a free agent for nothing, or part with something of value to get it done in the next week or so?

It's a shame Martin won't consider any other clubs for the same type of outcome. I'm not sure what he owes SOS & Carlton. But a stroke of the pen allowing Rookie Draft & Pre Season Draft picks would flip this all on its head. Why shouldn't clubs be able to trade across draft if they want?

As an aside, I'm not sure how SOS has a god like standing in some parts of the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Get onto it Gil.
    Like it as a principle, hate it in the middle of an off-season.

History has shown us that the AFL generally *!*!*!*!s up when they try and make policy on the run.

I still think GC should re draft him. They can then give their blessing for him to play at the VFL/NEAFL team of his choosing and pay his salary while he waits to become a free agent.

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb question - is the PSD draft order the same as the main draft ie just reverse ladder position?

If so, then the Dees could nab Martin if they wanted to, before Carlton.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Dumb question - is the PSD draft order the same as the main draft ie just reverse ladder position?

If so, then the Dees could nab Martin if they wanted to, before Carlton.
    It's the same order. So Melbourne could get him if they can afford him.

17. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Like it as a principle, hate it in the middle of an off-season.

History has shown us that the AFL generally *!*!*!*!s up when they try and make policy on the run.

I still think GC should re draft him. They can then give their blessing for him to play at the VFL/NEAFL team of his choosing and pay his salary while he waits to become a free agent.
    Certainly a good option, and they get a juicy second rounder next as free agency compo for the pain and suffering. I'd actually feel a hell of a lot more for Martin if his manager had just shut up. At the trade deadline he was a victim of Carlton trying to extort the Suns and my 100% of sympathy was to him. But seeing as his manager has repeatedly come out saying Martin will be going to Carlton, not denying Martin could inflate his asking price to scare GCS and Melbourne off in the PSD, gives the appearance at least of him being an accessory after the fact. I'd be thinking of getting a new manager.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the same order. So Melbourne could get him if they can afford him.
    An option Melbourne have more or less ruled out.

Certainly a good option, and they get a juicy second rounder next as free agency compo for the pain and suffering. I'd actually feel a hell of a lot more for Martin if his manager had just shut up. At the trade deadline he was a victim of Carlton trying to extort the Suns and my 100% of sympathy was to him. But seeing as his manager has repeatedly come out saying Martin will be going to Carlton, not denying Martin could inflate his asking price to scare GCS and Melbourne off in the PSD, gives the appearance at least of him being an accessory after the fact. I'd be thinking of getting a new manager.
    Agree to an extent. I can't help but feel, though, that Martin has been led astray by his manager to an extent.

I wonder if, assuming GC hold the line here and call Carlton's bluff, whether there will begin to be a tendency away from players nominating clubs for trade destinations.