Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  39
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No-one should let Martin get to the Blues.

It's not too late for Carlton to put this right. They still have a chance to show a semblance of good faith.

Picks can be swapped right up until the moment they're called out on draft night.

Carlton agree to send pick 9 and 57 to GC for pick 15. Do a swap of later picks as well if either club sees fit, so long as the trade is well and truly in GCs favour.

As soon as the ink is dry on the trade agreement, GC announce that they are delisting Martin.

Carlton get their man and stay in the first round. GC end up with 3 picks inside the top 10.

2. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's Essendon WD.
    Fixed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It's not too late for Carlton to put this right. They still have a chance to show a semblance of good faith.

Picks can be swapped right up until the moment they're called out on draft night.

Carlton agree to send pick 9 and 57 to GC for pick 15. Do a swap of later picks as well if either club sees fit, so long as the trade is well and truly in GCs favour.

As soon as the ink is dry on the trade agreement, GC announce that they are delisting Martin.

Carlton get their man and stay in the first round. GC end up with 3 picks inside the top 10.
    I've been banging on about that as a strategy, but us as the option. If GCS relent to Carlton now the message it sends is a really poor one. But if they did it with another club, not Martin's preferred club, they're getting something over nothing and telling Carlton and anyone else willing to try it (negotiating in bad faith) that they won't put up with that bullshit. This is where the AFEL is meant to manipulate to process to assist GCS.

Since we were his number two option, GCS and Dogs and Martin & his manager could thrash something out if they all wanted to. I can't fathom that Martin would still want to go there after the trade period, with no Papley and just one year of Eddie Betts. Surely?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Blues have pick 3 in the PSD, that's where they will get him
    oops, my bad, Shows how much I know about this stuff.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've been banging on about that as a strategy, but us as the option. If GCS relent to Carlton now the message it sends is a really poor one. But if they did it with another club, not Martin's preferred club, they're getting something over nothing and telling Carlton and anyone else willing to try it (negotiating in bad faith) that they won't put up with that bullshit. This is where the AFEL is meant to manipulate to process to assist GCS.

Since we were his number two option, GCS and Dogs and Martin & his manager could thrash something out if they all wanted to. I can't fathom that Martin would still want to go there after the trade period, with no Papley and just one year of Eddie Betts. Surely?
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/...mons-interest/

His manager has publicly said he still wants Carlton and has no intention of returning to the Gold Coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/10/...mons-interest/

His manager has publicly said he still wants Carlton and has no intention of returning to the Gold Coast.
    Ew. It’s going to get messy. For all the handouts and positive news at GCS recently, this will be a big headline up there. Surely Gil gets involved.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the Victorian bias in the football media at play?

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/frust...osses-c-510147

The gist of it is that Victorian clubs are peeved that Gold Coast has so many lucrative draft picks in play and it's created a disincentive for them to trade.

Seriously.

It's a Tom Browne article and comes from channel seven, so take it with a grain of salt. To me it seems like a big club media beat up to change a message that is actually pretty shit. Carlton didn't deal fairly and backed their chances to get Martin on the cheap at the expense of a club on its knees, the protection of this behaviour and the cheerleading for Esserden this trade period has shown how cooked the AFEL media landscape is.

The fact this *!*!*!*!ing club gets the season opener sickens me no end, but for them not to be called out for their underhanded dealing in this situation and instead be supported in the media really shits me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good thread - fascinating viewpoints in this forum! really enjoyable reading.

There’s no doubt the blues have gamed the system - if it works out, good luck to them, that’s SOS’s job. Just like Sydney w the pick swaps and Blakey last year, can only change the rules in retrospect.

It’s unethical(ish) mostly to the player - and I’m sure there is a side channel w Martin to calm any anxiety - but if the dogs manufactured a way to pick up a star cheap at the giants expense we’d be licking our lips!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is this the Victorian bias in the football media at play?

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/frust...osses-c-510147

The gist of it is that Victorian clubs are peeved that Gold Coast has so many lucrative draft picks in play and it's created a disincentive for them to trade.

Seriously.

It's a Tom Browne article and comes from channel seven, so take it with a grain of salt. To me it seems like a big club media beat up to change a message that is actually pretty shit. Carlton didn't deal fairly and backed their chances to get Martin on the cheap at the expense of a club on its knees, the protection of this behaviour and the cheerleading for Esserden this trade period has shown how cooked the AFEL media landscape is.

The fact this *!*!*!*!ing club gets the season opener sickens me no end, but for them not to be called out for their underhanded dealing in this situation and instead be supported in the media really shits me.
    The idea that a club should be content to trade away a player whose services they want to retain in exchange for picks they will never use is laughable in the extreme.

The draft concessions are totally irrelevant to this discussion.

12. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Very good thread - fascinating viewpoints in this forum! really enjoyable reading.

There’s no doubt the blues have gamed the system - if it works out, good luck to them, that’s SOS’s job. Just like Sydney w the pick swaps and Blakey last year, can only change the rules in retrospect.

It’s unethical(ish) mostly to the player - and I’m sure there is a side channel w Martin to calm any anxiety - but if the dogs manufactured a way to pick up a star cheap at the giants expense we’d be licking our lips!
    Agree. At any club's expense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

I don't think we would.

I remember 'The Veale Deal' and I for one didn't like it at the time and I don't like it in retrospect. And we got hit by the Karma bus.

We should play hard but fair. Carlton need to remember it was only 5-minutes ago they were begging for draft concessions...yet now they are trying to abuse the draft and trading system? Be very, very careful.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Raw Toast, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think we would.

I remember 'The Veale Deal' and I for one didn't like it at the time and I don't like it in retrospect. And we got hit by the Karma bus.

We should play hard but fair. Carlton need to remember it was only 5-minutes ago they were begging for draft concessions...yet now they are trying to abuse the draft and trading system? Be very, very careful.
    And now apparently are upset that someone else has some and believe it's a disincentive to trade with them

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we would.

As it is, we let players dictate where they will go. The Veale deal said stuff you to the player and an amicable deal was achieved between the two clubs.
    I actually think we are pandering to the players way too much
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we would.

That's the point isn't it. We wouldn't do it. But Carlton historically have rorted the system out of greed since living memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As it is, we let players dictate where they will go. The Veale deal said stuff you to the player and an amicable deal was achieved between the two clubs.
    I actually think we are pandering to the players way too much
    Ironically, Jade Rawlings would have been a free agent had that scenario played out in the modern day.

It was a horrendous way to treat a player that had given 8 years service and it bit both clubs in the arse at the end of the day.

20. Likes Mofra liked this post